Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flu!
Sprouts 08:44 AM 02-27-2013
12 month dcb that i JUST started watching this Monday has come down with the flu! He had fever yesterday evening ...so we were exposed Monday and Tuesday. Any advice on how to proceed with telling parents? Staying open or closing? Ect. He really didnt put much in his mouth or anything...he was just coughing on us

I am so afraid to catch this , we have been doing great all winter....and my son gets febrile seizures, I have a 5 month old baby ....ugggh this sucks

Ooh and this past November he had th flu and pneumonia and last week he had an ear infection....is that something to be concerned about?
Play Care 09:16 AM 02-27-2013
When I have an highly contagious illness in the dc, I put up a big sign saying something like "We have a confirmed case of INFLUENZA in the child care." And then attach a parent faq from the CDC or AAP that highlights what to look for, how to treat, etc.
I will say no one has ever kept their child home after reading them and I'm not going to close unless *I* or one of my children is so seriously ill that I couldn't do the job. I would remain open and continue following universal precautions (using the regulation bleach/water sani mix for changing tables, toilets and toys, having the children (and me!) wash hands thoroughly, sneeze into elbows, etc.) I would make it clear that any child with fever or that seems to ill to participate will be sent home ASAP.
Play Care 09:18 AM 02-27-2013
Wanted to ask - how are the parents about keeping you informed of illnesses and keeping the child home if sick? Kids catch things, so the illnesses you mentioned wouldn't phase me unless the parents were trying to send him in sick or not picking up quickly when ill.

Hope everyone else stays well!!
jenn 11:54 AM 02-27-2013
I had one here last Monday morning, that went to the dr in the pm and was diagnosed with the flu. I just told the other parents and told them to watch for any signs and take them seriously. No one else caught it thankfully.
Sprouts 12:26 PM 02-27-2013
I sent this email to all parents

Hi all
I just wanted to let you all know that we have a confirmed case of influenza. Below is a link on what symptoms to look for. We will keep a close eye on all of the children that are present. If any of them have a fever or seem too ill to participate we will notify you right away, please be ready to pick up your child right away if this does occur. We are keeping up with our usual cleaning procedures, bleaching toys and surfaces and washing hands often. We will remain open unless I or any of my assistants are too sick to Attend. Before bringing your child in the morning please assess them and check temperatures before drop off, a child given tylenol or Advil before Childcare will not be allowed. Thank you all , I hope and pray no one else comes down with this.

http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics
Sprouts 12:29 PM 02-27-2013
This family I just started Monday so I'm not sure, but it seems like a lot of illnesses for such a little body....the other parents are okay about informing me of illnesses, they know I'm pretty strict with that
AngiesCareXYZ 11:37 PM 02-28-2013
In January I accepted a 4 month old into my dc. the second wk he was here his mom brought him in sick. It was a minor runny nose and cough. My 2 yr old son was fighting an ear infection so his immune system was already spent. He caught the virus from the new infant and turned it into a big ugly cold. That spread to my daughter and to 1 other toddler. I was forced to close the daycare for 3 days because of the uncontrolled fevers from my 2 children. The day I opened the dc back up, the same infant brought in the flu. My whole family caught it plus 1 other toddler. I was closed for a wk. The new infant was also sick for 4 of the 5 days that I was closed. When I finally opened again on 2/11 the new dcm said that I was unreliable and she was changing daycares. She wanted a full refund for all the days that I had the daycare closed. I explained to her that on pg. 2 of the Parent & Child Handbook that it is very clearly stated that the daycare will close with pay if there is a serious illness. I ended up refunding the dcm in order to keep her happy. I don't need Licensing coming over to investigate due to a bogus complaint. Ouch! She gave her 2 wk notice and the following Monday brought her 4 month son in again sick. This time he had a horrible cough that sounded so so bad. But he had no fever, no runny nose, just this cough. So I stupidly accepted him into my home for care. Well 15 mins before his pick up time he wakes from his nap warm to the touch and the cough now sounds like a very loud bark. Mom gets there and grabs her son and leaves really angrily. I text later that evening to find out if dcb is ok. Apparently he has croup. This family is no longer in my care. I am thankful. Now I have my other parents that I am feeling that I need to discount due to the extended period of time that I was closed... Did I mention that all the kids have come into the dc sick in the past month? Yea so 1 dcm thought that she wasn't going to have to pay for any of the time that I had the dc closed. that dcm brought her child in sick 2 times. I explained to her about how I accept mildly sick children into my home for the convenience that it provides to the parents. I also explained that with me accepting sick children into my home, this also puts my family at risk for catching these illnesses as well. So for me to accept sick kids into my home and expose my family to outside germs, I will require pay for any time that I have to close due to these illnesses.
I guess my questions are... 1. Am I wrong to be charging for care that I am not providing due to illnesses that come from the dcks? 2. Should I have given a discount.
I am seriously thinking about changing the policy to no sick children at all. All the yrs that I have been in this industry and never once have I experienced the back to back illnesses that we have experienced this yr! Is anyone else experiencing this? What are you doing about it?
Sprouts 07:46 PM 03-01-2013
This is my sickness policy...

Wellness Policy Statement of Understanding

Please read wellness policy carefully so we all have the same understanding when it comes to keeping all of our children happy and healthy.

Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

______I agree to notify the day care at drop off of ANY medication given to the child within six hours of the drop off.
______I understand that if my child exhibits any of the following symptoms, I or one of my emergency contacts are required to pick them up within 45 minutes of being notified.
1. Fever 100.0 F or above (please do not give medication before drop off to mask fever or symptoms)
2. Vomiting,
3. Diarrhea,
4. An undetermined body rash,
5. A persistent NON-CLEAR runny nose,
6. Coughing,
7. Extreme changes in usual behavior.*
______I understand that children who have vomited or have diarrhea are not allowed to enter the day care until they are symptom free for a full 24 hours.
______In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
• the diagnosis
• the treatment
• length of recommended exclusion
Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.
______I understand that ******* does not administer nebulizer or breathing treatments.
_______In case of accidental injury or emergency illness, I will be notified immediately after emergency medical services have been summoned.* ****** will not accompany any child to the hospital or physicians office if emergency medical services is enlisted unless there is enough staff.*

There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis."

Parent Name: ________________________ Signature: ________________ Date: _____________
Parent Name: ________________________ Signature: ________________ Date: _____________

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. It means a lot to all of us, the children, the staff, and families.

And this is from my contract

9. _____/_____:Charges related to provider’s illness or other emergency that prohibit care will be refunded. The amount will be based upon the rate for the day/hours your child is scheduled to be in care:
$ ____per _____ or portion there of

10. ____/_____: I understand that missed days due to illness, weather, vacation/holidays (outside of those allocated by****) and any other circumstances will not be refunded and I am responsible for tuition.

I know some providers give themselves a certain amount of sick days as well.

Hope that helps
Reply Up