Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newbie Mistakes By...A Newbie
gracepatiencelove 04:59 PM 08-10-2013
I only just decided to become a home daycare provider. It started because a friend recommended that a woman who needed care for a newborn to contact me.

At that point I realized that I had a "waiting list" of people who wanted more long term, regular care (I would babysit some off and on). I realized that as a single mom of two, and a student, I was not only not making ends meet, I was on the verge of total poverty so... here I am. A total newb... totally trusting... and realizing I am going to get burnt, bad, if I don't fix that!

So, since I've already made verbal commitments with some of these mamas, I need a few suggestions.

How do I implement a sick policy?
How do I explain that, yes, I will be taking on more kids?
How do I learn to grow a backbone instead of adjusr?
How do I demand pay ahead of time?

And other questions..
Do I need to provide back up care, or do the parents? Do I need to have that in my contract? How much notice do you give them? What happens if you're deathly ill, suddenly, in the AM?
Is state certified the same as licensed? Whats the difference between illegal and legal unlicensed? Who do I contact?
Does renters insurance usually cover daycare stuff?
How do you factor in paid holidays?
How much should I save of each pay for taxes? For state assisted clients, does the state take out taxes?

Sorry, guys! I don't mind if you only have the answer/time to answer one or two of those! And sorry if I come off as very naive -it's been a long day and the end isn't quite in sight!
Tags:backbone, sick policy, west virginia, west virginia member
Up