Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homeschooling Families--Question
SilverSabre25 07:00 AM 04-03-2014
When do you do the things that require, say, reading aloud to your student(s)? Do you try to get the dcks to stay quiet enough for your child to hear you reading and focus? Do you try to do it in a separate room? Or do you just have to wait for naptime?

We'd been "waiting for naptime" but in reality that has led to those subjects never getting done. I'm trying to find a different pattern.
bklsmum 07:10 AM 04-03-2014
We do some stuff during naptime but stuff that requires both of us and lots of focus we usually hold off on until the evening or weekend schooling times.
Unregistered 08:01 AM 04-03-2014
I engage DCKs in engrossing activities like playdoh, rice play, usually something sensory and go from there.
Evansmom 08:06 AM 04-03-2014
I think it depends on what you prefer. I like to do quite a bit of schooling that involves my direct interaction with my son on the weekends when I can give him my full attention. We can knock out a large amount of curriculum this way. If you don't like to do school on weekends then I'd suggest training DCKs to do quiet activities at certain points of the day so that you can focus on schooling for a block of time.
TwinKristi 08:16 AM 04-03-2014
How many hours per day/week would you say you spend homeschooling? I'm considering it for my 8yr old but having DCKs worries me that he'll just get further behind than ahead like if hope.
I recently posted this on another forum and don't know where to go to start...

Originally Posted by :
So after my DS5 ( 8 ) was sick in 2nd grade for literally 45+ days last school year, I considered homeschooling just to keep him up to the class. He ended up doing better and I just nixed the idea. So here we are 2/3 through 3rd grade and he's behind, his teacher is worried about ADHD and we missed 2 days this week due to illness. He has asthma and has been doing great this year but I just keep thinking about it. He just wants to be home. I just wonder whether it's the protector in me who feels this and wants to put a bandaid on a gunshot wound or if I'm using my mommy intuition that this is what's best for him. He's going to be in 4th grade next year and I would hate to keep him back because of this long term stats on this. I also don't want to deprive him of the social aspect of school. We have 6 kids but he's at the bottom and my home daycare has all infants & toddlers. Are there options for partial online homeschooling and partial one on one? Or contact our school district? Where do I start?

TaylorTots 08:32 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
When do you do the things that require, say, reading aloud to your student(s)? Do you try to get the dcks to stay quiet enough for your child to hear you reading and focus? Do you try to do it in a separate room? Or do you just have to wait for naptime?

We'd been "waiting for naptime" but in reality that has led to those subjects never getting done. I'm trying to find a different pattern.
My DH installed some software that allows me to record myself reading passages aloud so DS can listen to them during DCKs preschool time. We incorporate some into naptime as well - but it helps with the longer readings
AmyLeigh 08:33 AM 04-03-2014
I have used naptime, evenings, early mornings, and lunchtime (reading to the whole group while they are eating).
AmyLeigh 08:36 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
How many hours per day/week would you say you spend homeschooling? I'm considering it for my 8yr old but having DCKs worries me that he'll just get further behind than ahead like if hope.
I recently posted this on another forum and don't know where to go to start...
California is an easy state to homeschool in. But you may want to look into online school so that he has a curriculum similar to the public schools and you can have teacher assistance. California virtual academy is what I used to use when my children were younger.
TwinKristi 09:37 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
California is an easy state to homeschool in. But you may want to look into online school so that he has a curriculum similar to the public schools and you can have teacher assistance. California virtual academy is what I used to use when my children were younger.
Thank you!!
MarinaVanessa 11:47 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I'm stil mulling over whether or not to HS my 9yo. This common core thing is really getting us bad. She is super struggling. How long did you spend doing HS stuff? How did it work for you with DC? My DH is against me homeschooling because I have a full plate. I have my DC, go to school 2 nights a week, take workshops with the department of education about 3-4 times a week and sit on the board of our local family DC association. He is not supportive at all, he never is really with what I want to do (but that's a different forum) How hard will it be really?
AmyLeigh 02:41 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I'm stil mulling over whether or not to HS my 9yo. This common core thing is really getting us bad. She is super struggling. How long did you spend doing HS stuff? How did it work for you with DC? My DH is against me homeschooling because I have a full plate. I have my DC, go to school 2 nights a week, take workshops with the department of education about 3-4 times a week and sit on the board of our local family DC association. He is not supportive at all, he never is really with what I want to do (but that's a different forum) How hard will it be really?
It varies, really. Homeschooling can be likened to daycare in that some are very structured with lots of activities and worksheets to being very laid back, play based and everywhere in between. It just depends on your family's needs. But most middle school kids find they can get their work done within a few hours. Depending on the style of curriculum you choose, it could require a lot of work on your part or very little.
Angelsj 03:06 PM 04-03-2014
Naptime, bedtime, suppertime, weekends, etc. We have done them all at one time. I also use recordings (either me or someone else recorded), audio books, etc.
I understand wanting that naptime break (believe me I get it) but sometimes you just have to do it. Or give the kids a weekday off, and do a weekend day.
Tags:home schooling, reading
Reply Up