Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing My Kids One by One
sharlan 08:55 AM 04-18-2016
I have been in business for 32 years in June. I have kept the majority of my kids from infancy to school age. Others have left on good terms, but moved or mother lost job. I've pretty much stayed full unless I wanted fewer kids for the summer.

I had one vanish in November without notification.

I had one leave in January because the mom finished school but couldn't find a job because she was 5 mos pregnant.

I lost one March 1 because I told the parents the child needed her speech to be evaluated. Their response was to put her in preschool from 6 AM to 6:30 PM so "she could learn to talk".

I lost one on Friday because the mom quit her job. She is looking but who knows how long it will take her to find another one.

I had a new little guy start last month. Mom told me on Friday that they're moving in 2 weeks. Dad just told me that they can't find housing in this area so they would be leaving in 2 weeks.

Never, ever had I had this much turnover in such a small amount of time.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:15 AM 04-18-2016
Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how it feels; I am going through a weird year like that, too.

I decided to embrace it. On the days I have only 2 or 3 kids, we can take field trips in my small car--something I couldn't do otherwise. We're enjoying it while we can, and I am taking my time to find just the right families.

I was wanting to transition to an older group anyway, so I'm trying to look at it as a blessing--it gives me the chance to redesign things.

But I will admit, it is a blow to my pride as well as my bank account. It probably has nothing to do with me, but it feels upsetting all the same.

I wish you lots of luck in filling back up with committed families!
sharlan 09:20 AM 04-18-2016
The only consolation is it isn't because of me. It's because the parents circumstances are changing. I don't think families are as stable as they used to be. 3 of my 4 families are single parent.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 04-18-2016
Aw, I'm sorry Sharlan. It does suck when that happens and I do think it has a lot to do with family stability just not being what it used to be.

It seems that families really valued continuity of care and would stay from birth to school age. Now it seems the average life span of a daycare child is 3 years max now.

I hope things pick up for you soon!
Annalee 09:31 AM 04-18-2016
I had a large turnover the last 18 months but it seems to have steadied back up. I agree with BC, it is a whole new style of parenting which changes the dynamics for child care, in general. Yep, three years is the max and some are less than that....I don't feel it is us personally, just the clients ways of thinking now. Sharlan, I hope things pick up for you!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:11 AM 04-18-2016
I remember one year when I had just about all of my 2-3 year olds do a mass exodus. Even now I am concerned when I have too many of the same age that they might all leave at once or one right after the other.

The other thing is nowadays the preschools are taking them in younger some without even being potty trained. It makes it hard on the FCC's.

My advice would be to hang in there and just advertise, everyday. Put ads on CL, ebay classifieds, facebook, etc. Reach out to some mommy group boards and get the word out that you have spots. I advertise everyday, whether I have a spot or not.

I am sure you will get some kids soon if you have been serving the community for over 30 years.
Josiegirl 10:21 AM 04-18-2016
Sharlan, I'm so sorry! A mass exodus like that can be scary. Hopefully it'll pick up quickly for you again!!
sharlan 10:40 AM 04-18-2016
It's really getting hard to compete with daycares on every corner. At one point, there was one across the street from me (they closed after 2 years) and one directly behind them.

It's impossible to compete with the schools. The one right by me only charges $30 a WEEK for before and after school care. The families are encouraged to stay until 6PM. Low income (kids on free lunch) are free.

I am getting a lot of calls, but they are for infants. I won't take a child under 18 mos now. I've always feared SIDS and Meeko's experience solidified that fear. Nope, not taking that risk.
Unregistered 04:06 PM 04-18-2016
***Warning! Long wandering thought process ahead! lol***

I wonder if the lack of consistency is connected to the trend we have now- the "fear of missing out". We always are on the look out for something better. So it may be a we think another daycare is better or a different type of program or if I were a SAHM instead- and keep the kids home, or if I took some classes and send the kids to daycare part time, or maybe if I was working things would be better. I feel like part of the inconsistency and the fear of missing out comes from our (mostly moms but dads too) roles not being defined like they used to. So, we don't really know what we think is best or right. I myself, constantly (more than daily!) vacillate between really committing to school, fcc, work at a preschool, etc. I don't like being dependent on dh. I don't like feeling unvalued for the work I do as a parent (as if it isn't anywhere near as useful to our family as bringing in income). I don't like having little education. So, I constantly want these different situations that seem better. And, so, I am always thinking about switching up how my children are cared for- they have gone to parent child co-ops, enrolled in preschools where I sub, and attended an amazing fcc, AND stayed home with me when I have dcks! It feels immature, irresponsible, and childish to not commit to a path. At the same time, I always want the best for my kids so I keep trying to figure it out. And, just that act of constantly searching for what is best probably has an ill-effect- because of the inconsistency, etc! I do my best. I guess we all do!
Best of luck Sharlan... Calcare
LysesKids 05:11 PM 04-18-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
It's really getting hard to compete with daycares on every corner. At one point, there was one across the street from me (they closed after 2 years) and one directly behind them.

It's impossible to compete with the schools. The one right by me only charges $30 a WEEK for before and after school care. The families are encouraged to stay until 6PM. Low income (kids on free lunch) are free.

I am getting a lot of calls, but they are for infants. I won't take a child under 18 mos now. I've always feared SIDS and Meeko's experience solidified that fear. Nope, not taking that risk.
See I have done nothing but babies for the past 10 years... I have never had an issue, but then they are in plain site every minute until they are crawling/walking. I specialize in the under 18 months crowd and never really worried because I do have strict medical guidelines for special needs, allergies etc and my babies sleep in the same room I am always in (I'm required to check them every 15 min here)...
Crystal 07:48 PM 04-18-2016
Sharlan,

I am sorry to hear this. I understand the frustration. I will keep my fingers crossed that you start getting the calls (and the right fit families) to fill your vacancies. Hugs!
AmyKidsCo 08:19 PM 04-18-2016
I'm sorry. I agree that it's a national trend. I've been in FCC for over 20 years and have had more turnover in the past 2-3 years than ever before.
sharlan 09:26 PM 04-18-2016
I really think the stability of families has changed so much in the past 30 years.

In the beginning, all of my families were 2 parent families that owned their own homes and had stabile jobs.

Now, all but one of my families have a single parent, not one owns their own home. They don't seem to stay at the same job or home for very long.
Josiegirl 02:20 AM 04-19-2016
In my area families are opting for the all day preschools being offered within the school systems. When it comes to financial reasons, no one can beat that deal. And centers seem to be popping up on every corner. Honestly, I have no idea how any home daycare can survive in my area. But I always see new ones monthly. I don't have to worry for another year if nothing drastic happens but after that, who knows??
Home daycare isn't what it used to be 30 years ago. I've been doing it 30+ and now that I support myself(for the past 9+ yrs.) it's scary as he!!.
Annalee 04:47 AM 04-19-2016
I think also clients do not like any constraints. They like calling the shots. Things as simple as signing in, holding your child's hand while walking to the vehicle, paying on time, picking up on time...etc. lead parents to daycares that have no rules or do not enforce them. In my area, centers have high turnover in teachers, leading to the directors doing what it takes to "keep enrollment up" so parents run the place. THey need the income....A director from a center near me said she had clients that owed her in excess of $3000....she never closes and gets NO holiday pay. Clients love that! When it comes to me, if I tell a client they have to hold their child's hand when arriving/departing, it is a travesty. Too many clients do not like following rules....and this is not just in daycare....it is a society problem. Just my opinions
Ariana 06:22 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
***Warning! Long wandering thought process ahead! lol***

I wonder if the lack of consistency is connected to the trend we have now- the "fear of missing out". We always are on the look out for something better. So it may be a we think another daycare is better or a different type of program or if I were a SAHM instead- and keep the kids home, or if I took some classes and send the kids to daycare part time, or maybe if I was working things would be better. I feel like part of the inconsistency and the fear of missing out comes from our (mostly moms but dads too) roles not being defined like they used to. So, we don't really know what we think is best or right. I myself, constantly (more than daily!) vacillate between really committing to school, fcc, work at a preschool, etc. I don't like being dependent on dh. I don't like feeling unvalued for the work I do as a parent (as if it isn't anywhere near as useful to our family as bringing in income). I don't like having little education. So, I constantly want these different situations that seem better. And, so, I am always thinking about switching up how my children are cared for- they have gone to parent child co-ops, enrolled in preschools where I sub, and attended an amazing fcc, AND stayed home with me when I have dcks! It feels immature, irresponsible, and childish to not commit to a path. At the same time, I always want the best for my kids so I keep trying to figure it out. And, just that act of constantly searching for what is best probably has an ill-effect- because of the inconsistency, etc! I do my best. I guess we all do!
Best of luck Sharlan... Calcare
I think listening to what "society" tells you is what a lot of us do and it gets us down. Society is based on a male point of view which values male type traits like career, drive, ambition and as women some of us don't value that (some men don't either but it is what society deems respectable). This can lead to feelings of worthlessness. I really wanted to be a SAHM but I felt I was worthless without a paycheck so here I am running a daycare and taking care of my kids which I hate.

Now I realize that just because society doesn't value it doesn't mean it is not valuable. I for one think that staying home with your kids gives them the absolute best start in life (unless you are depressed because of the above reasons). If you have the means I wish more parents would choose it, men too (although it is even harder for men to choose it).

Anyway totally Off Topic but wanted to respond. Sharlan I hope things pick up for you. I have problems getting kids these days too. I don't take infants and by 3.5 everyone is going to kindergarten and rarely is there a 2-3 yr old without an infant sibling. I am ready to retire once my last dck leaves in June.
Mike 08:02 AM 04-19-2016
The family and economical changes are making things different now.

It's also because more and more moms are deciding to quit their jobs and stay at home and go into daycare themselves. It used to be common for moms to stay home until their youngest was in school, then lifestyle and cost of living caused more moms to go to work. That of course meant daycare. Eventually, finding daycare got too hard in some areas, so more moms decided to go into that field. Then some areas, like where I currently live, had more daycare providers than was needed, and eventually they start closing.

Most fields have some roller coaster effect over the years. That's where reputation comes in handy. With your experience, you will get more children eventually. You just need to advertise, and for now, enjoy the lower "work load".
Tags:losing spots
Reply Up