Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2020 Christmas
Cat Herder 09:22 AM 12-08-2020
Recipes? Activities? Gift Ideas? Gifts received?

All things Christmas 2020.... and go!!
Annalee 09:27 AM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Recipes? Activities? Gift Ideas? Gifts received?

All things Christmas 2020.... and go!!
Simple; making candy, games with $15 gift cards, watch football, eat, then eat, then eat some more; very simple;
Cat Herder 09:43 AM 12-08-2020
Christmas Red Velvet Sugar Cookies Recipe

Ingredients

For Red Velvet Cookies:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar + ½ cup for rolling
2 eggs
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon red food coloring
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

For cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

For Garnish:
Red, green and white sprinkles, optional

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees prepare a baking pan with parchment paper

To make Red Velvet cookies:
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder and salt, set aside
2. In a medium bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Add eggs one at the time, vanilla extract, white vinegar and red food coloring, mix until combined
4. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until the dough is fully combined
5. Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball, about 1-inch balls
6. Add granulated sugar to a small bowl for rolling
7. Roll each ball of cookie dough into sugar and place onto baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart
8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies being to crisp
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack and let cool completely

To make cream cheese frosting:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together butter and cream cheese until fully combined, add vanilla extract and powdered
sugar until combined
2. Spread cream cheese frosting on each cooled cookie and sprinkle with red, white and green sprinkles
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 12-08-2020
Christmas Red Velvet Sugar Cookies Recipe
So you'll be sending me a dozen right?
Gemma 09:45 AM 12-08-2020
My Christmas will be as always just hubby and the kids
We open presents, play games, we chat and laugh a lot probably eat too many cookies and I recently discovered the pleasure of hot cocoa, it's gonna be a great Christmas!

Thanks for this thread CH, we needed a happy thread!
Annalee 09:46 AM 12-08-2020
those sound wonderful. My red velvet cake consists of the bought cake mix and the bought cream cheese frosting
Gemma 09:46 AM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you doing the secret Santa this year?
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 12-08-2020
Sure will if you want. I have to admit my husbands chocolate butter toffee with almond slivers is better.

Originally Posted by Gemma:
Thanks for this thread CH, we needed a happy thread!
It was actually Victory who suggested it on another thread. I felt it was a great idea and acted on it.
Annalee 10:04 AM 12-08-2020
Yep, this thread is a great idea.

I put my tree up during my Thanksgiving quarantine and didn't really want to get started. But before I was finished I was happy. I had forgotten about all the christmas decorations I had gotten from my mamaw that passed this year. When we cleaned her house we found some totes with tons of Christmas things. So between tears, I was smiling really BIG!
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 12-08-2020
Chocolate-Almond Toffee

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
¼ cup water
4 tablespoons butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup chopped whole almonds, toasted (we use slivered)

Directions

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring just until combined; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 325° or until syrup begins to caramelize. Stir in vanilla and salt. Working carefully and quickly, pour sugar mixture onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper; spread to desired thickness. Let toffee stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate over warm toffee; let stand 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate in a thin, even layer over toffee; immediately sprinkle with chopped almonds. Let stand 1 hour or until completely cool. Break toffee into pieces.
Gemma 10:22 AM 12-08-2020
Do any of you hang those scented sticks on the tree?

I put up all the decorations and it really looked nice but something was missing and I couldn't figure out what it was...it was the "Christmas scent" , had to send hubby out to get some sticks right away
Cat Herder 10:25 AM 12-08-2020

I put up all the decorations and it really looked nice but something was missing and I couldn't figure out what it was...it was the "Christmas scent" , had to send hubby out to get some sticks right away
I have two on my tree right now. They work well.
284878 10:27 AM 12-08-2020

What is a scented stick?
VictoryCare 10:39 AM 12-08-2020
Can you use any icing on red velvet cookies?
VictoryCare 10:40 AM 12-08-2020
Maybe we can share pics of our Christmas trees?
VictoryCare 10:42 AM 12-08-2020
Oops nevermind I read the recipe for the red velvet cookies, it says cream cheese frosting lol
VictoryCare 10:44 AM 12-08-2020
Although I have no idea how to post a pic on here
VictoryCare 10:52 AM 12-08-2020
20201205_125242.jpg
Lol..I figured it out..��
Attached:
Gemma 01:06 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
What is a scented stick?
They are called Scentsicles, they are scented sticks that come with a hook and you hang on the tree
I use the "Fir"

https://www.amazon.com/ENVIROSCENT-0...a-871759786935
Gemma 01:09 PM 12-08-2020
I have two on my tree right now. They work well.
They make a big difference don't they
VictoryCare 01:12 PM 12-08-2020
Lol, at first I thought you wrote scentesticles..lol
Cat Herder 01:18 PM 12-08-2020
They make a big difference don't they
I went with "O Christmas Tree" and "Two dashes of Cinnamon" this year. The combination is wonderful since the tree is in between my kitchen and living room.

Last year I got the "White Winter Fir" (Douglas Fir), my husband liked it but I could not find it again this year.
Valerie928 01:55 PM 12-08-2020
🎄 Christmas Eve is normally the night I host quite a large crowd of family and friends. We eat amazing amounts of delicious food. A lot of attendees will bring a snack to share. Steak fondue is what we all look forward to most. Some gifts are opened too! It's so much fun. But, this year it's just me, my husband and 3 kids because of stupid covid. But believe me, next year we'll do it up!

Christmas day is always low key. We open our gifts. I make lasagna for dinner. My dad and his girlfriend will join us. We drink wine and enjoy ourselves😁
VictoryCare 03:04 PM 12-08-2020
Sounds nice
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 12-09-2020
Something I did with the dcks was have a book swap. Some years they'd pick a name and buy a book for that particular child; some years they'd just bring in a wrapped book to swap. Dcks loved it.
Thinking back we had some amazing Christmas parties here. Santa would visit. We'd decorate Gingerbread men. One year we started collecting coins, canned goods, and toys in Sept. then we all met after dc a couple weeks before Christmas and delivered them to our local FD that deliver them to families.
We also did the Elf on a Shelf which was fun. Except for the mornings I'd forgotten to hide him and I had to think quick to explain why he was still in the same place.
We always made special playdough, chocolate, peppermint, pumpkin spice and got out old Christmas cookie cutters.
So many warm memories out of all the chaotic moments.
Gemma 03:45 AM 12-09-2020
I went with "O Christmas Tree" and "Two dashes of Cinnamon" this year. The combination is wonderful since the tree is in between my kitchen and living room.

Last year I got the "White Winter Fir" (Douglas Fir), my husband liked it but I could not find it again this year.
I never thought to try cinnamon, I'll have to, that sounds awesome!
I got my Fir at Home depot, they had quite a few there, but the packs used to be 8 count, now they're only 6
Cat Herder 05:06 AM 12-09-2020
I never thought to try cinnamon, I'll have to, that sounds awesome!
I got my Fir at Home depot, they had quite a few there, but the packs used to be 8 count, now they're only 6
I got mine at Lowes and noticed the same, 6. They also were much more loaded with oil, to the point of dripping. I laid them on paper towels to absorb some before hanging. Guess it was easier to lower count than raise prices in this economy?
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 12-09-2020
I've seen those scented things but have never bought any.

My house always smells like a forest as it is from just the tree itself so do those of you that use them, use them because you have a fake Christmas tree?
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 12-09-2020
Are you doing the secret Santa this year?
We could definitely still try and fit it in...or even let it bleed over into the New Year if anyone is interested in participating.

I'll start a thread and see what people think.

Everyone needs a little pick me up during this pandemic!
Cat Herder 06:13 AM 12-09-2020

My house always smells like a forest as it is from just the tree itself so do those of you that use them, use them because you have a fake Christmas tree?
Yes. Fake is more convenient for us.
DaveA 06:13 AM 12-09-2020
Morning is pretty low key. DS & DIL come over for gifts. Traditional breakfast of cinnamon rolls & biscuits and venison sausage gravy.

Rest of the day is have more of a “have food out in case someone shows up” type thing. Usually it’s a good number of friends and family. Not sure what this year will be like. Meal wise I tend to do non traditional things because I’m not a huge turkey or ham fan (plus it a annoys MIL so that’s a plus). In the past I’ve done taco bars, horseshoe bars, smoked meat platters, etc. Thinking about doing a wing bar this year. Boneless & traditional wings cooked, 3-4 sauce options, chips & dip, & deserts.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 12-09-2020
Yes. Fake is more convenient for us.

Here unless you live in an apartment building a majority of people have real trees. Being winter and most houses are closed up tight, the smell can get overwhelming sometimes so I was borderline thinking everyone was crazy wanting so much aroma in their houses. lol!
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 12-09-2020
Here unless you live in an apartment building a majority of people have real trees. Being winter and most houses are closed up tight, the smell can get overwhelming sometimes so I was borderline thinking everyone was crazy wanting so much aroma in their houses. lol!
Here, we have a tendency to have moldy, insect infested or rotting trees since it is still warm and rainy when they are cut and stacked. The smell of a real Christmas tree is not always what you bargain for down here...

I do tend to put real ones outside on the porches, though. The migrating birds love them.
CenterTeacher20 07:42 AM 12-09-2020
We could definitely still try and fit it in...or even let it bleed over into the New Year if anyone is interested in participating.

I'll start a thread and see what people think.

Everyone needs a little pick me up during this pandemic!
Waaaaait- like a daycare forum secret santa?! Let me know if it happens! That sounds awesome!
Cat Herder 07:59 AM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Waaaaait- like a daycare forum secret santa?! Let me know if it happens! That sounds awesome!
We did it for many years but had a few members who received and did not give the past several years. I think it got pretty difficult to manage. I am game to start one, but it is a little later than we usually did it, already.
Gemma 08:08 AM 12-09-2020
I got mine at Lowes and noticed the same, 6. They also were much more loaded with oil, to the point of dripping. I laid them on paper towels to absorb some before hanging. Guess it was easier to lower count than raise prices in this economy?
The dripping oil was probably meant for the 2 missing sticks
Gemma 08:09 AM 12-09-2020

I do! I've never had a real tree
Gemma 08:19 AM 12-09-2020
We did it for many years but had a few members who received and did not give the past several years. I think it got pretty difficult to manage. I am game to start one, but it is a little later than we usually did it, already.
I never participated so it wasn't me
I never entered but it was fun reading about the different gifts everyone got

I think it would be fun to do it again, even though it's late, If it's too late for Christmas, we could have a secret "end of the year surprise" thing
I'm open to anything
Cat Herder 08:21 AM 12-09-2020
I never participated so it wasn't me
I never entered but it was fun reading about the different gifts everyone got

I think it would be fun to do it again, even though it's late, If it's too late for Christmas, we could have a secret "end of the year surprise" thing
I'm open to anything
I'd like a "start the new year off right" swap. Daycare related or personal?
Gemma 08:32 AM 12-09-2020
You could start a thread to see what members response is
Blackcat31 09:09 AM 12-09-2020
I think we should do that!
I'll start a thread and get the info needed!
Cat Herder 09:31 AM 12-09-2020
Thanks!! My fingers are frozen....
CenterTeacher20 10:09 AM 12-09-2020
Yay! New year swap sounds like so much fun!!
Josiegirl 02:00 PM 12-09-2020
Maybe you could make it end around Valentine's Day? Secret Cupid
Just a thought.
Josiegirl 02:03 PM 12-09-2020
Do you send out surveys or anything, to kind of figure out preferences? Is there a dollar limit?
I'm interested; I participated in them on CF(some of you are from that old site I believe?) but I've never done one here. Do you *have* to be a provider? I could use some fun to spice up my life.
Gemma 02:54 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Do you *have* to be a provider? I could use some fun to spice up my life.
I'm pretty sure to all of us you still are a provider
Tags:christmas
Reply Up