Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bugs!
MissAnn 02:02 PM 06-24-2013
They are just bugs! Kids these days are so fearful of them.....even flies! I love to sit in the shade and read books to the kids while they sit sweetly in the cool grass. Well, it would be nice except that this never happens. I have one kid who will not sit.....one kid mentioning any tiny ant crawling in the vicinity......one who just squirms looking for bugs who might attack him......and then of course there is the one who feels the need to stomp on anything moving.

I blame video games, iPads and TV with their "safe" screen bugs. Oh....and parents who don't let them experience outside!
daycarediva 02:12 PM 06-24-2013
I agree. My kids are encouraged (and I do this to show an example) of holding and touching bugs gently. Respecting them, and finding out what they do that is GOOD for us. I had a dcg PETRIFIED of ladybugs, we read Eric Carles Grouchy Ladybug, learned that they eat aphids that destroy leaves. Now dcg finds leaves with holes in them and goes to catch ladybugs to bring to the leaves.
AmyKidsCo 05:45 PM 06-24-2013
Maybe you should surround your play area with mosquito netting so the bugs can't get in?

Sorry, I couldn't help it - I'm still ROFL about that post...
MyAngels 07:48 PM 06-24-2013
I have the opposite problem. My kids are forever finding bugs and trying to bring them inside to play with .
SilverSabre25 04:54 AM 06-25-2013
My son is super excited about every bug in the world. He holds them, pets them, shows them off to me, occasionally samples them (and then gives them to me we need a "blech!" face smiley)...

oh, and I WISH he was a bit more cautious. He keeps trying to catch the bumblebees that buzz around the flowers by the front walk. Dude. NOT a good choice. But he's 2 and doesn't get it...so I'm braced for him to get stung on the hand one of these days...
Willow 06:06 AM 06-25-2013
That would irk me to no end. I have the opposite problem here, all the kids are beyond comfortable with nature and I am constantly asking someone to put down, stop poking at or please spit out whatever creature they are currently "experiencing" lol
blandino 06:26 AM 06-25-2013
My kids are the same. Each spring I hear a ton of "Ms. B, there is a BUUUUUG out here !!!

Yes children, bugs live outside. They are going to be out here.

Or if a fly happens to come in the house, some of the children act like the world is ending.
SilverSabre25 07:40 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
That would irk me to no end. I have the opposite problem here, all the kids are beyond comfortable with nature and I am constantly asking someone to put down, stop poking at or please spit out whatever creature they are currently "experiencing" lol
bwahahaha! glad i'm not the only one!!
crazydaycarelady 08:35 AM 06-25-2013
I have the same kind of kids, always pointing out and getting upset by every fly or bug they see. I always respond that "yep, bugs live outside so if we are outside you are going to see some bugs!" I even found a rolly-polly and did a little demonstration on how cool bugs can be! But they still freak out!
Tags:bugs
Reply Up