Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What would you do.........
caregiver 08:13 AM 07-18-2013
I got a call from one of my DCP this morning telling me that her daughter ,( who is 2 yrs old) woke up with a fever, not sure what from, but she likes to cover herself up in her crib with her blanket and maybe that is why she had a fever. I had this dcg yesterday and she was a touch crabby and was really tired. Thought yesterday that maybe she didn't fell 100%. DCM said she was going to keep her home this morning and see how she did.

Well, DCM just called and said she was playing and fever was gone, so wanted to know if she could bring her. I asked her how high her fever was this morning and she said it was 103,now that is high in my mind. I asked her to keep her home the rest of the day anyway as even though her fever is gone right now, it could come back and I have other kids here that I have to be careful with as far as passing any bug too. She understood and is keeping her home. Would you have asked her to keep her Daughter home even after the fever was gone? I do have in my contract that if a child has a fever of over 100 that they need to stay home. But you know, even me giving my DCP's a contract to keep at home for reference, they don't seem to ever remember what is in it or refer back to it for my rules, which really makes me upset. I feel bad about not taking her this afternoon, but by the same token, I feel that 103 is a high and even tho it is gone for now that there is something going on, a bug of some sort that she has and want to be careful of it spreading to the other kids or even myself. Do you think I did the right thing?
Angelwings36 08:15 AM 07-18-2013
This is an easy one for me:

Child will be excluded from daycare until they are UNMEDICATED fever free for 24 hours.
TheGoodLife 08:23 AM 07-18-2013
YES!!! I kept a baby with a fever of 100+ once, DCM thought it was teething (I was new, and didn't choose to enforce my policy). Nope, she was sick and got croup later. Fevers (especially THAT high) are the body's way to fight off infections and other "bad stuff" and her little one needs the care and comfort she can only get at home I also wouldn't let her come back the next day, as it would be before 24 hours (and I don't want to risk a dope and drop). I'd explain that she needs a little extra rest and snuggles from mommy so that she can feel 100% better! (Make mom feel like she's being a good Mommy by doing so, and she'll hopefully get the hint- if not, still refuse!) It's your job to take care of her under your contracted policy- it's their job to be PARENTS I would flat out tell a parent that if needed, in a professional way, of course!
wdmmom 08:29 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:

Child will be excluded from daycare until they are UNMEDICATED fever free for 24 hours.

I would not let this child come. 103 is a significant fever and I can promise you DCM is wanting to do the dope and drop!
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
I got a call from one of my DCP this morning telling me that her daughter ,( who is 2 yrs old) woke up with a fever, not sure what from, but she likes to cover herself up in her crib with her blanket and maybe that is why she had a fever. I had this dcg yesterday and she was a touch crabby and was really tired. Thought yesterday that maybe she didn't fell 100%. DCM said she was going to keep her home this morning and see how she did.

Well, DCM just called and said she was playing and fever was gone, so wanted to know if she could bring her. I asked her how high her fever was this morning and she said it was 103,now that is high in my mind. I asked her to keep her home the rest of the day anyway as even though her fever is gone right now, it could come back and I have other kids here that I have to be careful with as far as passing any bug too. She understood and is keeping her home. Would you have asked her to keep her Daughter home even after the fever was gone? I do have in my contract that if a child has a fever of over 100 that they need to stay home. But you know, even me giving my DCP's a contract to keep at home for reference, they don't seem to ever remember what is in it or refer back to it for my rules, which really makes me upset. I feel bad about not taking her this afternoon, but by the same token, I feel that 103 is a high and even tho it is gone for now that there is something going on, a bug of some sort that she has and want to be careful of it spreading to the other kids or even myself. Do you think I did the right thing?
Are you licensed?

or just caring for a couple kids legally unlicensed?
mema 08:45 AM 07-18-2013
I wouldn't have taken her either. 24 hours fever free without medication. Doesn't matter why she had the fever.
Heidi 09:01 AM 07-18-2013
I have never in my life seen a child get a fever because they were covered by a blanket. Come on!

I'd bet donuts that she gave her medication. Dope and drop averted. Good job!
caregiver 09:17 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you licensed?

or just caring for a couple kids legally unlicensed?
Why do you need to ask this question? My question was about a fever. No matter what I am, I will not let anyone dictate how I deal with sick kids.
I just wanted to know what others would do no matter what they were.

It is not an issue with state regulations or any issue from my parents,but I have issues with having a backbone with parents and I guess I am too soft or give in too much and have to learn to be firm with policies.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:25 AM 07-18-2013
Licensing here dictates that the child be temp free, unmedicated for 24 hours. So I could not take the child. Nor would I want to. 103 is a high temp. nothing being wrapped in a blanket would do!
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:

caregiver 09:32 AM 07-18-2013
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I feel I made the right decision.
I agree, I have never heard of any child getting such of a high fever from having a blanket over them.
littlemissmuffet 09:40 AM 07-18-2013
I would have told mom that the child needed to stay home until fever free (without meds) for at least 24 hours. I also would have mentioned that when she brought the child back after 24 hours, if the child developed another fever, or any other symptoms that she would be excluded for another 48 hours... just to ensure that mom was CERTAIN kiddo was feeling better before dropping her back off.
Familycare71 09:45 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
I wouldn't have taken her either. 24 hours fever free without medication. Doesn't matter why she had the fever.
Exactly this!!! And there is NO WAY you get a fever that high from being covered up!!! I could see 100 under armpit (99 + 1...). But high fevers come from illness...
Stay strong!
My3cents 09:48 AM 07-18-2013

In every way YES

24 hours before fever free before coming back to care. You have to protect not only yourself but the other kids in your care and your environment. This is what most people do- Some even longer. Kuddo's to you!

I do make exceptions if a child is clearly teething but it is at my discretion. I also think about how this child is going to effect all the other kiddo's being terribly crabby and out of sorts.

Again way to go for doing the right thing, even if it was hard or uncomfortable to do.
My3cents 09:54 AM 07-18-2013
Why do you need to ask this question? My question was about a fever. No matter what I am, I will not let anyone dictate how I deal with sick kids.

It is not an issue with state regulations or any issue from my parents,but I have issues with having a backbone with parents and I guess I am too soft or give in too much and have to learn to be firm with policies.
I am guessing that because if your licensed then most likely your state mandates that you not take a child until 24 hours after fever that high.

Seasoned providers have trouble with backbone from time to time. You have come to a great place on this forum for working on that and all issues daycare related.......and well some not

Welcome to the forum!
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 07-18-2013

I was going to say that if it is hard to be firm, you could always use licensing regulations as an excuse as to why you can't accept her child into care with a fever or medicated.

Sorry if you felt my question was inappropriate.
caregiver 10:14 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was going to say that if it is hard to be firm, you could always use licensing regulations as an excuse as to why you can't accept her child into care with a fever or medicated.

Sorry if you felt my question was inappropriate.
Thanks, I will get more of a backbone and enforce the regulations more firmly with parents. No more being a door mat!
Reply Up