Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Sick" kiddo
Thriftylady 07:14 AM 01-19-2016
So one of my girls threw up over the weekend. Once. The weekend before, mom had a stomach bug and during the week the sister was throwing up. Mom kept them home the next day (she started when she went home the night before). This was was last week, they have been fine since then. Until DCG threw up this weekend. The one time. Anyway last night DCG didn't like what I was serving for dinner and suddenly her stomach was bothering her again so I had her lay down until mom came.

Today mom brings her in and tells me DCG threw up last night but had to work hard for it. I believe that because DCG is a drama queen anyway, and mom has always stayed home with them when she thought they were really sick. Mom said she thought it was fake (and I agree) but give her the benefit of the doubt and let her stay here with me today.

We have a two hour cold delay, and I have one who will be here all day with DCG. DCG has been laying on the couch since she got here, because I told mom that is what she would do since kids that are to sick for school have to rest. Now DCG is whining that she feels better and wants to get up and play. She said "my stomach virus went away now". I didn't have them last school year, but in my mind sick children that can't go to school DO need rest. AND, I don't want staying home when you should be at school to be fun.

I think I am lining up for a long day. DCK's already asked what was for lunch, and I said soup (we all have a crappy cold and I feel like He... myself). She started crying and I told her "people who can't keep food down have to have lots of liquids".

Anyway sorry for the long post the question is am I being to harsh?
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So one of my girls threw up over the weekend. Once. The weekend before, mom had a stomach bug and during the week the sister was throwing up. Mom kept them home the next day (she started when she went home the night before). This was was last week, they have been fine since then. Until DCG threw up this weekend. The one time. Anyway last night DCG didn't like what I was serving for dinner and suddenly her stomach was bothering her again so I had her lay down until mom came.

Today mom brings her in and tells me DCG threw up last night but had to work hard for it. I believe that because DCG is a drama queen anyway, and mom has always stayed home with them when she thought they were really sick. Mom said she thought it was fake (and I agree) but give her the benefit of the doubt and let her stay here with me today.

We have a two hour cold delay, and I have one who will be here all day with DCG. DCG has been laying on the couch since she got here, because I told mom that is what she would do since kids that are to sick for school have to rest. Now DCG is whining that she feels better and wants to get up and play. She said "my stomach virus went away now". I didn't have them last school year, but in my mind sick children that can't go to school DO need rest. AND, I don't want staying home when you should be at school to be fun.

I think I am lining up for a long day. DCK's already asked what was for lunch, and I said soup (we all have a crappy cold and I feel like He... myself). She started crying and I told her "people who can't keep food down have to have lots of liquids".

Anyway sorry for the long post the question is am I being to harsh?
Harsh?

I think you are being way too nice.

I would not have allowed the child to attend today since she threw up within the last 24 hrs and I would never keep a SA child all day that was too sick to be in school.

However, I agree that if she is too sick to go to school she is too sick to play, watch TV or do anything other than lie down and rest quietly. Perhaps the boredom will "teach" her a valuable lesson about what one has to do when really sick.
Thriftylady 07:23 AM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Harsh?

I think you are being way too nice.

I would not have allowed the child to attend today since she threw up within the last 24 hrs and I would never keep a SA child all day that was too sick to be in school.

However, I agree that if she is too sick to go to school she is too sick to play, watch TV or do anything other than lie down and rest quietly. Perhaps the boredom will "teach" her a valuable lesson about what one has to do when really sick.
Yeah, if I (or mom) thought she was really sick, she wouldn't be here. This girl is drama with a great big, huge D. I am kind of trying to teach her a lesson, about faking it. It amazes me how she started saying at dinner time last night she "had the stomach virus" all of a sudden.
SnowGirl 07:31 AM 01-19-2016
This is exactly how my dad stopped me from pretending to be sick. He made sure I was bored as possible. I only faked once, on a Spring day in 3rd grade. The lesson sticks!
sharlan 07:55 AM 01-19-2016
Too harsh, no. Too nice, yes.

I wouldn't allow her to have any fun at all today. If she's too sick to be at school she must stay on the sofa and rest. It makes it for a very long day for both of you.
e.j. 11:41 AM 01-19-2016
I used to do the same thing with my own kids. They each went through a phase where they would either fake being sick to stay out of school or go to the school nurse asking to come home early. It got old really fast. It took a time or two for them to get that I was serious but after that, they realized that if they were too sick to go to school, they were too sick to play at home. If they asked to stay home or come home early, I would remind them that they would be spending the day on the couch - no tv, no toys, no books....just rest. Usually after thinking about it for a minute or two, they would decide the were well enough to be at school. When they decided to stay home, I knew they really weren't feeling well and needed the rest.
AmyKidsCo 12:21 PM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
This is exactly how my dad stopped me from pretending to be sick. He made sure I was bored as possible. I only faked once, on a Spring day in 3rd grade. The lesson sticks!
ITA! My grandma had a more evil way to make sure her kids didn't fake it - she gave them warm lemonade. My mom says it was so bad they only faked being sick ONCE.
Reply Up