Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Point Do You Just Say "You Made Your Bed, Now You Must Lie In It!"
crazydaycarelady 01:14 PM 12-14-2012
18mo dcb is having supposed to be napping but he keeps throwing his binky and blanket out of the pak-n-play and then crying and screaming my name. At this point I am not giving it back anymore. Should he "get it" at some point?

I don't want to discuss the pros and cons of binkys or allowing a kid to have a snuggie. This kid comes around 3-4 days per month and his parents have him addicted to the things.
itlw8 01:20 PM 12-14-2012
me???? 2x then the next day 1x after that never and I would stop giving it at all here. but that is just me.

I waited to long to take ds off his. he was 15 months. he threw it across the room at me so I vaccummed until he fell asleep never got one again.
cheerfuldom 01:22 PM 12-14-2012
I wouldnt give it back but I also wouldnt expect him to get it since he is there so infrequently. he is crying and not sleeping whether he has those things or not so I wouldnt even bother going in to give them to him again.
grandmom 02:18 PM 12-14-2012
At that age, he'd never see it again at my program. Never.
ninosqueridos 05:11 PM 12-14-2012
I could have written your post! I decided to NOT pick it up anymore either this week. I told dcp's no more binkies at daycare. He does not need it. Period. DCD made a face like, "Oh?! Uhhh...mmm...ok"
kitykids3 05:02 AM 12-17-2012
Yeah, at 18 months, he's "got it," and it's a game to him. The more you go back and give it back, the more he knows you'll keep doing it.

If it was me, I allow that stuff at my program, but if the child is making it a toy, throwing it out of the pnp, then after the 2nd time giving it back, dcb won't be getting it back for the rest of nap. It would sit where it was thrown. Rough at first as dcb will scream, but soon he'll learn you won't play his game. If he wants it he'll keep it.
DaisyMamma 07:13 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
Yeah, at 18 months, he's "got it," and it's a game to him. The more you go back and give it back, the more he knows you'll keep doing it.

If it was me, I allow that stuff at my program, but if the child is making it a toy, throwing it out of the pnp, then after the 2nd time giving it back, dcb won't be getting it back for the rest of nap. It would sit where it was thrown. Rough at first as dcb will scream, but soon he'll learn you won't play his game. If he wants it he'll keep it.
Couldn't agree more.
LaLa1923 07:41 AM 12-17-2012
I agree with what everyone else said...

However, I think I would allow it at nap time. After you throw it out though its gone..

My DS was a little over 2 and a half when he went off of his......

He just woke up one day and never asked for it again...It was sad for me bec i expected some sign!! lol
crazydaycarelady 08:00 AM 12-17-2012
Okay, I am going to give it back to him ONE time. If he throws it out again I guess he is going to be screaming!
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Okay, I am going to give it back to him ONE time. If he throws it out again I guess he is going to be screaming!
Personally I don't care if parents allow their child to have a binky until they are 10. Makes no difference to me.

However, I do allow them here but only at nap time. Once a child becomes atleast a year old, I do NOT retrieve tossed binkies, blankets or lovies.

In your case, I would retrieve ONCE like you said and leave it after that. I would tell DCM though what you are planning to do so she knows that her child is not being catered to as he expects.
MamaG 11:06 AM 12-17-2012
Yea I've had all my kiddos try to play me with this little game. I don't play games at quiet time. I never play this game. Parents can give binkies all they want, if child is 1+ it goes up till pickup time. No binkies here!!
Willow 11:17 AM 12-17-2012
If they're old enough and coordinated enough to throw them out, they're plenty old enough to understand what's going to happen when they do.

I don't retrieve them even once, doing so I think can send conflicting messages - sometimes when I pitch this out she comes back in and gives it back, other times she doesn't, which is it? perhaps if I scream just a little louder and much longer..... - and in the end I think that just exacerbates the problem.
texascare 07:08 AM 12-18-2012
What they throw out of the playpen stays out of the playopen. And I tell them that. Kids are smart even at a yuong age. I would let him do with out.
Reply Up