Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Binkies
JackandJill 01:20 PM 04-20-2016
At what age do you recommend telling parents to drop the binkie? I have a little guy who will be three next month. He goes all day without a binkie here at daycare, even at nap. But every morning he walks in with it and at pick up EVERY SINGLE DAY, mom fishes it out of his bag, and sticks it in his mouth, hes not even upset or making noise!! He has some speech delays, and I am sure that the binkie is causing them, but I am sure it isn't helping him with pronouncing the few words he does have. Do I say anything or just let it be since it is not part of my day with this kiddo?
Thriftylady 01:23 PM 04-20-2016
Well considering I read the post title as "BIKINI", I would ask the parents to keep it for home use only!

But since I read it wrong and that isn't what we are talking about, I would probably tell mom something like "we have to keep those in the cubby here so other kids don't steal them, do you know he doesn't ask for it all day!"
childcaremom 01:27 PM 04-20-2016
I have a dcg like this. She would walk in, take it out and hand it to me.

I finally just told dcm that she doesn't use it here so it can stay in the car. And it did.
JackandJill 01:32 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well considering I read the post title as "BIKINI", I would ask the parents to keep it for home use only!"
OMG thank you, I really needed a good laugh today!!

And I love the idea of telling them to keep it in the car. I think I will try it out tonight at pick up!
Cat Herder 02:22 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
At what age do you recommend telling parents to drop the binkie?
Between 3-6 months.
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 04-20-2016
At what age do you recommend telling parents to drop the binkie? I have a little guy who will be three next month. He goes all day without a binkie here at daycare, even at nap. But every morning he walks in with it and at pick up EVERY SINGLE DAY, mom fishes it out of his bag, and sticks it in his mouth, hes not even upset or making noise!! He has some speech delays, and I am sure that the binkie is causing them, but I am sure it isn't helping him with pronouncing the few words he does have. Do I say anything or just let it be since it is not part of my day with this kiddo?
Meh. He is with peers socializing all day WITHOUT it.

If he only has it at home or any time not with you, then whatever.

I don't care what age or for how long the child has one....however, here they are used for napping purposes only and until age 6 months. After that I don't allow them to be brought to daycare.

fwiw~ My own son had one until he was abut 4. Unless you were his parent, you have NO idea the story behind it so unless it's happening under your watch or is causing issues for you, I'd just look the other way.
Unregistered 02:44 PM 04-20-2016
Is the speech your concern? Has he been evaluated?
JackandJill 02:55 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is the speech your concern? Has he been evaluated?
I've talked with dcm about the speech delay, she doesn't seem to be concerned and hasn't had him evaluated. I do feel this little guy's speech delay isn't just because of the binkie. He talks a lot, but it isn't clear, or real words. I'm sure it is something more complex. Mom and her pedi have been watching it, but no eval yet.
Lovisa 05:08 PM 04-20-2016
I wouldn't let the child keep it all day just so other kiddos wouldn't pick it up and put it in their mouths. Using it at nap time would be ok with me as long as the parent is fine with it.

FWIW, my own kid used a binky for sleeping for several years. Some kids have that need to suck for longer than others.
BumbleBee 05:16 PM 04-20-2016
18 months is my recommendation and I send home informational sheets stating the same thing. Some parents hang on forever. I have one who just turned 4 who still gets a bottle at home. Most of the parents I have drop it by 18 months, for the ones who hang on my cut off for binkie at daycare is age 2. They can do what they want at home and they can show up with it and pop it in their kids' mouth as they're leaving but while the child is here in my home they don't get it after age 2.
Unregistered 06:52 PM 04-20-2016
I don't think we can arbitrarily choose an age that a pacifier should be removed. Every person is different. Also if there isn't a diagnosed speech delay, I don't see the issue. Of course you can enforce whatever rules you want for your program. I just don't see why that would be a rule. Now if it's about health and safety for fear of others mouthing it, I get it. But for naps or special alone time, it sounds like a difference in cultural beliefs and no reason to go up against the family's wishes.
LysesKids 07:00 PM 04-20-2016
I don't think we can arbitrarily choose an age that a pacifier should be removed. Every person is different. Also if there isn't a diagnosed speech delay, I don't see the issue. Of course you can enforce whatever rules you want for your program. I just don't see why that would be a rule. Now if it's about health and safety for fear of others mouthing it, I get it. But for naps or special alone time, it sounds like a difference in cultural beliefs and no reason to go up against the family's wishes.
No offense, but working with infants exclusively... when one has something, they all want it; it's a sanitation issue in my home more so than anything else & germs spread enough without a child grabbing something out of another child's mouth; I do not allow nubs, binkies or whatever you want to call it in my home. My babies all sleep n the same room & many on mats, not in PnPs... yes it's a hygiene thing more than cultural

Parents know from day one, that regardless of what happens at home, I do not allow ANY "suckies" as per signed contract saying they understand my policies
Unregistered 07:04 PM 04-20-2016
We are encouraged to have infants under 1 year old use pacifiers because it may reduce the risk of suid.
Blackcat31 07:08 PM 04-20-2016
We are encouraged to have infants under 1 year old use pacifiers because it may reduce the risk of suid.
I've heard that too
LysesKids 07:09 PM 04-20-2016
Thats a new one on me... I stay in the same room my babies sleep in & I am required to check breathing a minimum of every 15 minutes. Unless you provide scientific proof... I disagree with your use
Blackcat31 07:11 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Thats a new one on me... I stay in the same room my babies sleep in & I am required to check breathing a minimum of every 15 minutes. Unless you provide scientific proof... I disagree with your use
"Pacifiers aren't just for soothing colicky babies anymore. A new study has found that use of a pacifier during sleep reduced the chances of a baby suffering from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) by 90 percent."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...eatly-reduces/
LysesKids 07:12 PM 04-20-2016
Thats a new one on me... I stay in the same room my babies sleep in & I am required to check breathing a minimum of every 15 minutes. Unless you provide scientific proof... I disagree with your use; BTW, 99% of my babies are breast fed & refuse a pacifier
Annalee 07:12 PM 04-20-2016
I have heard that about the paci, too.
LysesKids 07:16 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have heard that about the paci, too.
I looked it up... it says if a baby is BF and refuses, not to force it... most my babies refuse and all except the one is BF; Not one infant needs it here for nap or otherwise. The one parent that does force it, is for a Bottle fed, formula kid that they want to keep quiet during a car ride to & from care. The Paci disappears before he comes in the door
Unregistered 07:18 PM 04-20-2016
I can't offer you "proof" but it has been in our mandatory training for several years.
We don't force them to use a paci (like that would work!) But we are encouraged to offer them.
All of mine in the last 20 yrs have been BF also, and I also check at least every 15 minutes.
Not trying for an argument, just sharing information that has been provided to us in training.
Unregistered 07:19 PM 04-20-2016
I NEVER said that we are supposed to force pacifier use.
Annalee 07:21 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I looked it up... it says if a baby is BF and refuses, not to force it... most my babies refuse and all except the one is BF; Not one infant needs it here for nap or otherwise. The one parent that does force it, is for a Bottle fed, formula kid that they want to keep quiet during a car ride. the Paci disappears before he comes in the door
I didn't say anything about forcing just that a paci may help in the prevention of SIDS. I was also told in the same training that running a fan also helped prevent SIDS with the the circulating of air near the child. Not the fan blowing at the child but placed so the air circulated well.
Annalee 07:21 PM 04-20-2016
I have two bf babies now and both take a paci.
LysesKids 07:33 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have two bf babies now and both take a paci.
16 years down the line & only 2 of my BF babies took binkies... heck even my own children didn't use them. I do use a fan during warm weather also... the babies love it. As a license exempt childcare I don't go thru as much training here in TN (I do take some thru the Food program & on my own), but I also rely on my almost 35 years of parenting and grand parenting experience and the previous trainings when I was a licensed childcare home... things change constantly so nobody will be up to date on everything regardless of training
Cat Herder 07:21 AM 04-21-2016
The new SUIDS research is based on belly sleeping infants.

Yes, it is better than sleeping a newborn on their belly without a binky.

A DIY nasopharyngeal airway kit would make it even safer.

Both are options I would pass on.
Indoorvoice 08:59 AM 04-21-2016
I don't recommend things to parents anymore unless they specifically ask me because they don't listen much. They are going to continue doing what works for them and I will do here what works for me. If the pacifier was causing me issues in my daycare, I would work on it with him on my own before bringing it up to the parents. But if he was coming in and willingly giving it up, I would try not to let it bother me. Now things like speech issues, I do bring up gently, but I don't ever make suggestions on what I think is causing it. Imo, our job is to bring up things like that we notice because we spend the majority of time with them, but it is not our job to diagnose or make recommendations. That is the parents job to seek out a professional.
Nothankyou 09:13 AM 04-21-2016
If it's not an issue I don't take it. The SECOND I notice it's an issue in care i.e. throwing it out of their mouth playing with it on their cot or not wanting to give it up after nap I tell parents it will no longer be allowed to come to care. Personally my daughter had one until 15 months she started to throw it off her cot and then it was gone. I've had a 2 year old girl who ONLY used it at nap never took it out and handed it to me when nap was over so I never had a problem with it. Fast forward 18 month old girl who still uses one becoming a problem wants to toss it spin it so as of Monday it will not be returning to my care. Every kid is different. As far as what I require at home I literally just tell parents "Pacifier will be ended XXX date and not be returning to care for XXX reason (impeding nap, sanitation requirenments ect." if parents want to take it at home great if not the kid will adjust....if the kid doesn't adjust I just tell parents failure to adjust will result in termination but unless it's a problem here I don't care what they do at home.
JackandJill 09:21 AM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I don't recommend things to parents anymore unless they specifically ask me because they don't listen much. They are going to continue doing what works for them and I will do here what works for me. If the pacifier was causing me issues in my daycare, I would work on it with him on my own before bringing it up to the parents. But if he was coming in and willingly giving it up, I would try not to let it bother me. Now things like speech issues, I do bring up gently, but I don't ever make suggestions on what I think is causing it. Imo, our job is to bring up things like that we notice because we spend the majority of time with them, but it is not our job to diagnose or make recommendations. That is the parents job to seek out a professional.

I have mentioned my concern about his delay and left it at that, def didn't give reasons or opinions as to the cause.

I don't know why it bugs me. I suppose because I know this little guy gets shipped off to grams on the weekend, and is plopped in front of the TV or iPad at night, and is in bed as soon as humanly possible during the week. I guess it just annoys me. I see it as her trying to keep him quiet as opposed to asking him how is day was and encouraging him to speak.

But I see what a lot of you are saying. I will probably just keep my thoughts to myself about it, since he is a doll while he is here!
MunchkinWrangler 09:39 AM 04-21-2016
Pacifier use during infancy while sleeping keeps them from going into too deep a sleep. It has been proven to help with SUIDS, not all but some. It also keeps the air passages open.

I, personally, have nothing against the use of a pacifier. I actually recommend it for sleep. I've had some babies need blankets over their heads to sleep, I have no idea why I've seen this trend and the parents are ok with it. Obviously I refuse to allow it in my home. A pacifier is a safer option compared to being swaddled past a certain age, which I also have found is a trend, to other obvious things I can't do like holding and rocking to sleep. However, I discourage use while awake for older infants and toddlers because of health and safety.
Every child has their "vice" or "security blanket", I don't think having a special blankie, stuffed animal, nook, etc causes any harm to development and such. Case and point, we all survived. I personally was a bottle baby, I didn't go to kindy with one or even preschool. My son has a nookie, he's 2 1/2 he likes it to sleep and when he gets overwhelmed or anxious. To each their own.
Indoorvoice 09:52 AM 04-21-2016
I have mentioned my concern about his delay and left it at that, def didn't give reasons or opinions as to the cause.

I don't know why it bugs me. I suppose because I know this little guy gets shipped off to grams on the weekend, and is plopped in front of the TV or iPad at night, and is in bed as soon as humanly possible during the week. I guess it just annoys me. I see it as her trying to keep him quiet as opposed to asking him how is day was and encouraging him to speak.

But I see what a lot of you are saying. I will probably just keep my thoughts to myself about it, since he is a doll while he is here!
Oh I totally get it! I have one here who sticks her thumb in her mouth and starts playing with mom's hair as soon as mom picks up. It bugs the crap out of me because I know she is overly babied and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. I would love to tell mom my true thoughts. It's hard when you put a lot of time into a child and then see the parent completely screwing up what you worked on. I've just learned that for me in particular, parents do not see me as the expert, and if I do offer suggestions that they become resentful. So it's been easier for me just to accept that they will ask me if they actually want advice. I think you are right to be concerned, I just wanted to share that I've learned from this forum to be picky about what I let bother me.
nannyde 01:01 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The new SUIDS research is based on belly sleeping infants.

Yes, it is better than sleeping a newborn on their belly without a binky.

A DIY nasopharyngeal airway kit would make it even safer.

Both are options I would pass on.
Yup

Never use em. They are an arse pain.
284878 05:58 AM 04-22-2016
I've talked with dcm about the speech delay, she doesn't seem to be concerned and hasn't had him evaluated. I do feel this little guy's speech delay isn't just because of the binkie. He talks a lot, but it isn't clear, or real words. I'm sure it is something more complex. Mom and her pedi have been watching it, but no eval yet.
My nephew also talked alot but the words were not clear, it was because he need his hearing checked. He spoke the way he heard, muffled. Once he got tubes in his ears he spoke clearly.
Tags:pacifier, pacifier - wean off, pacifier issues, pacifier weaning
Reply Up