Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default Kid Driver

I live in a 4 street neighborhood. Three streets go north and south and 1 street goes east and west. One of my dcb's lives on the street that goes east and west. His house basically is at the end of my street on the east and west street. So, he's about 6 houses away. When dad drops him off or picks him up, he lets dcb (4 yrs old) sit on his lap and drive. I have made comments about it before and this morning he came in driving. I know it's only 6 houses, but it doesn't take a high speed impact for the airbag to go off. What do you do if anything in this case?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I live in a 4 street neighborhood. Three streets go north and south and 1 street goes east and west. One of my dcb's lives on the street that goes east and west. His house basically is at the end of my street on the east and west street. So, he's about 6 houses away. When dad drops him off or picks him up, he lets dcb (4 yrs old) sit on his lap and drive. I have made comments about it before and this morning he came in driving. I know it's only 6 houses, but it doesn't take a high speed impact for the airbag to go off. What do you do if anything in this case?
I'd let dad know I am a mandated reporter.

Whether he stops or not, it up to him.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I live in a 4 street neighborhood. Three streets go north and south and 1 street goes east and west. One of my dcb's lives on the street that goes east and west. His house basically is at the end of my street on the east and west street. So, he's about 6 houses away. When dad drops him off or picks him up, he lets dcb (4 yrs old) sit on his lap and drive. I have made comments about it before and this morning he came in driving. I know it's only 6 houses, but it doesn't take a high speed impact for the airbag to go off. What do you do if anything in this case?
As a mandated reporter I would call it in; if you don't and something happens and the state finds out you knew, it could hurt your business if not get you shut down or worse.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

It may also be an HOA issue if no tax dollars went into the road construction in your neighborhood.

You could try to push "reckless/negligent".

That can be enforced on any roadway.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Ugh, why do people do these kinds of things?? Sit on ride-on mowers, ride on ATVs, drive a car....I had a wife(an R.N.) of a pediatrician who used to allow her little boy, around 3 yo at the time, to ride in the back of their car up by the rear windshield, on their road. Their road is very curvy, not even 1/2 mile but just why?? I'm always of the what if mentality. Then I had another dcm who was a doctor. She and her dh took a trip a few states away and their baby screamed in the car. So what's dcm do? Well, the only sensible smart thing to do held her baby in her lap instead of strapped safely in the carseat. I remember when my eyes popped out of my head hearing that, she reassured me 'oh don't worry, if something had happened I would've lived with the guilt the rest of my life.' And that made it all okay how?? Some people are so far down the denial road they don't think twice about their stupid actions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Ugh. I hate when I see safety issues because I MUST speak up. Even if you place blame elsewhere- hey dcd many of the parents have mentioned seeing Jr in the drivers seat after pick ups. You might rethink that before you get into trouble.

Sadly trouble trumps serious injury, but whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Ugh. I hate when I see safety issues because I MUST speak up. Even if you place blame elsewhere- hey dcd many of the parents have mentioned seeing Jr in the drivers seat after pick ups. You might rethink that before you get into trouble.

Sadly trouble trumps serious injury, but whatever.
That's true. Tell em child could get hurt and they would say they know what they're doing. Tell em they could get in trouble and at least they will think.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
That's true. Tell em child could get hurt and they would say they know what they're doing. Tell em they could get in trouble and at least they will think.
I've told him multiple times all it's going to take is someone backing out of their driveway and hitting them and that airbag is going to do very serious damage. They're not real bright.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

I would tell him I’m a mandated reporter and if I saw it again report it.

Growing up we did this and also drove around on the lawnmowers (blades up) and 4 wheelers alone WAYY to young. We would ride in the back of the truck too. I would never allow my own kids to do the things I grew up with as normal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Ugh, why do people do these kinds of things?? Sit on ride-on mowers, ride on ATVs, drive a car....I had a wife(an R.N.) of a pediatrician who used to allow her little boy, around 3 yo at the time, to ride in the back of their car up by the rear windshield, on their road. Their road is very curvy, not even 1/2 mile but just why?? I'm always of the what if mentality. Then I had another dcm who was a doctor. She and her dh took a trip a few states away and their baby screamed in the car. So what's dcm do? Well, the only sensible smart thing to do held her baby in her lap instead of strapped safely in the carseat. I remember when my eyes popped out of my head hearing that, she reassured me 'oh don't worry, if something had happened I would've lived with the guilt the rest of my life.' And that made it all okay how?? Some people are so far down the denial road they don't think twice about their stupid actions.
I loved riding in the rear window of the car growing up!! Also my friends parents had a VW bug and rode a lot in the little back area of it on the way to and back from California as a teenager.

Always sat on my dads lap driving and it wasn't thought of any different.

Good Times!!!

When my daughter was born and we were going home, we couldn't get the car seat figured out and my daughter was screaming. My mom asked if I could just hold her so she would calm down on the ride home.

You have to remember-some generations grew up without all the safety features and some parents still figure it is fine.
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I loved riding in the rear window of the car growing up!! Also my friends parents had a VW bug and rode a lot in the little back area of it on the way to and back from California as a teenager.

Always sat on my dads lap driving and it wasn't thought of any different.

Good Times!!!

When my daughter was born and we were going home, we couldn't get the car seat figured out and my daughter was screaming. My mom asked if I could just hold her so she would calm down on the ride home.

You have to remember-some generations grew up without all the safety features and some parents still figure it is fine.

While true, we live in the Information Age now, and know better.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I loved riding in the rear window of the car growing up!! Also my friends parents had a VW bug and rode a lot in the little back area of it on the way to and back from California as a teenager.

Always sat on my dads lap driving and it wasn't thought of any different.

Good Times!!!

When my daughter was born and we were going home, we couldn't get the car seat figured out and my daughter was screaming. My mom asked if I could just hold her so she would calm down on the ride home.

You have to remember-some generations grew up without all the safety features and some parents still figure it is fine.
The problem now is that there are air bags that come out at least at 185 mph when you get in an accident. That alone would do serious if not fatal damage to a 4 year old that is sitting 6 inches away from the steering wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
The problem now is that there are air bags that come out at least at 185 mph when you get in an accident. That alone would do serious if not fatal damage to a 4 year old that is sitting 6 inches away from the steering wheel.
It's recommended safer for under 12 yo to sit in the back seat for this reason. What so many of us did growing up was so different than nowadays. When did they install seat belts in cars? Or make car seats mandatory?
Yes, we were damn lucky to survive. But many didn't. And it seems like with progress comes speed, knowledge, and more risks=stupidity(cell phone usage during driving, more distractions, speeding, DUI, road rage).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

This should be reported definitely simply because of being a mandated reporter! I reported a dcd for picking up his dcb4 on a motorcycle once and was told as long as the child had a helmet this was legal
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:50 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Maybe not legal Annalee... I just found this in the TN motorcycle manual

IMPORTANT NEW LAW ON CARRYING MOTORCYCLE PASSENGERS: Effective July 1, 2012, it is a Class C misdemeanor to carry a child as a passenger on a motorcycle whose feet are not on footpegs. This law does not apply to persons riding in a motorcycle sidecar. (2012 Public Chapter 907).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

In Michigan the seat belt law became effective 33 years ago, so most, if not all, of my daycare parents have grown up with this law and should absolutely know better. Not to mention that most accidents happen within 1 mile of the home, so to put a child on their lap to drive home even 1/3 of a mile is stupid imo
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
Maybe not legal Annalee... I just found this in the TN motorcycle manual

IMPORTANT NEW LAW ON CARRYING MOTORCYCLE PASSENGERS: Effective July 1, 2012, it is a Class C misdemeanor to carry a child as a passenger on a motorcycle whose feet are not on footpegs. This law does not apply to persons riding in a motorcycle sidecar. (2012 Public Chapter 907).
This was before 2012. Wait, double check, it was 2014. The police dept came out and told me it was legal.

Last edited by Annalee; 07-11-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: double check the dates
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
In Michigan the seat belt law became effective 33 years ago, so most, if not all, of my daycare parents have grown up with this law and should absolutely know better. Not to mention that most accidents happen within 1 mile of the home, so to put a child on their lap to drive home even 1/3 of a mile is stupid imo

"LOGIC" is definitely lacking in society today with EVERYONE
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
This was before 2012. Wait, double check, it was 2014. The police dept came out and told me it was legal.
How many 4 year olds do you know, riding behind an adult mind you, can reach the 2nd set of footpegs... that's just messed up
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
I would tell him Iím a mandated reporter and if I saw it again report it.

Growing up we did this and also drove around on the lawnmowers (blades up) and 4 wheelers alone WAYY to young. We would ride in the back of the truck too. I would never allow my own kids to do the things I grew up with as normal.
RIGHT!?! Survival mentality or whatever. I personally know a kid killed in one of those stupid ways we rode in cars, and knew a kid missing a leg when she was flung off a riding lawnmower and run over as a kid. Maybe that made me rethink things with my own kids? I am CONSTANTLY thinking "WTF were my parents THINKING!?"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:49 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
Maybe not legal Annalee... I just found this in the TN motorcycle manual

IMPORTANT NEW LAW ON CARRYING MOTORCYCLE PASSENGERS: Effective July 1, 2012, it is a Class C misdemeanor to carry a child as a passenger on a motorcycle whose feet are not on footpegs. This law does not apply to persons riding in a motorcycle sidecar. (2012 Public Chapter 907).
Varies by state....but my toes reached the back pegs at 4 anyway. Depends on the size of the bike, I was on the back of a Harley sportster.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
I would tell him Iím a mandated reporter and if I saw it again report it.

Growing up we did this and also drove around on the lawnmowers (blades up) and 4 wheelers alone WAYY to young. We would ride in the back of the truck too. I would never allow my own kids to do the things I grew up with as normal.
Yes, but some of these carseat/boosterseat regs are ridiculous. Eventually they give drivers carseats. lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, but some of these carseat/boosterseat regs are ridiculous. Eventually they give drivers carseats. lol
That doesn't change the fact we are mandated reporters... may not always agree that 8-10 yr olds need boosters (a few states, depending on child's size, it is law), but I'm not about to lose my business over something I don't control
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
child neglect, child safety, mandated reporter, parental life choices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros And Cons Of Having More Kids + Assistants Mom2Two Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 02-13-2017 04:57 PM
OT-Witnessed Driver With Child ON LAP! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 10-04-2016 12:16 PM
Would you talk to the bus driver? Soccermom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 10-23-2014 07:38 AM
Understanding Excess Transportation Liability and Non-Owned Auto Liability Daycare Insurance Daycare Insurance 0 10-22-2014 04:11 PM
Not a Daycare Question But a Mother Who Needs Advice And Most Are Mothers Here! : ( JJPlaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 28 11-10-2010 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming