Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Irate Parent
morgan24 07:09 AM 10-11-2013
I have a dcm that is mad because her baby wears a amber teething necklace and has a paci attached to a bear blanket. The baby has been wearing the necklace for a couple of months and when she gets here I take it off because I don't know if it goes against state licensing rules of nothing in bed with baby. I also take her paci off the blanket. She does cry at first when laid down for her nap but it doesn't last long. Yesterday at pick up I forgot to put the necklace back on her and the paci back into the blanket. Dcm was ticked. I told her licensing rules are nothing in bed with baby. I put her in a sleep sack for nap. She thinks as the parent what she says should be the way it is and does not want the necklace removed at all or her baby napping without her paci hooked on the blanket. I didn't really have an answer for her but it makes me wonder should the parents wishes overrule the state. I will go by the state rules because I have to. This is the same dcm who wanted me to wear babies breast milk in my bra to warm it and I won't do that either. What would you do?
crazydaycarelady 07:13 AM 10-11-2013
I think the wearing of the milk in your bra request is NUTSO!

I do agree that the parents wishes SHOULD override the states wishes but what can you do as a provider? You could tell dcm to get a doctors note about the necklace and pacifier (but I don't think in doctor in his right mind would write one.)
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I have a dcm that is mad because her baby wears a amber teething necklace and has a paci attached to a bear blanket. The baby has been wearing the necklace for a couple of months and when she gets here I take it off because I don't know if it goes against state licensing rules of nothing in bed with baby. I also take her paci off the blanket. She does cry at first when laid down for her nap but it doesn't last long. Yesterday at pick up I forgot to put the necklace back on her and the paci back into the blanket. Dcm was ticked. I told her licensing rules are nothing in bed with baby. I put her in a sleep sack for nap. She thinks as the parent what she says should be the way it is and does not want the necklace removed at all or her baby napping without her paci hooked on the blanket. I didn't really have an answer for her but it makes me wonder should the parents wishes overrule the state. I will go by the state rules because I have to. This is the same dcm who wanted me to wear babies breast milk in my bra to warm it and I won't do that either. What would you do?
Parents can NEVER give permission to do the wrong thing.

I would simply tell DCM

"I'm sorry but I am required to follow ALL state licensing rules. If you would like to speak with someone about these issues, you can call my licensor at 22-444-5555"

and leave it at that.
SilverSabre25 07:18 AM 10-11-2013
This is the same dcm who wanted me to wear babies breast milk in my bra to warm it and I won't do that either.
I have heard a lot of weird things, but THAT takes the cake! Good grief!

as for the rest of it, I support taking the pacifier off the blanket because she definitely can't have the blanket in bed with her. The necklace is a stretch...I consider it something more like clothing. They work primarily when in contact with the skin for long periods of time so by removing it you're interrupting that process.

If I were you I'd make up a permission slip for the necklace, have mom sign it, and leave it on. And get a back up paci to give her during nap so you can leave the other one attached to the blanket
Willow 07:21 AM 10-11-2013
I'd never put a baby down with anything around their neck. Maybe compromise and tell her you can loop it around her ankle if it's tight enough it won't fall off?

Otherwise I agree with BC. I'd let mom know the point of licensing regs are to keep children safe and reduce provider liability. There are no licensed providers that can or would assume the liability and risk the childs life or their livelihood over such a thing.

The parent has a right to do whatever they want with their child elsewhere, but not in licensed/regulated care.
CedarCreek 07:23 AM 10-11-2013
Nope. Nothing in bed with baby.

State over rules Mom on this one.

I would especially not allow the necklace, the strangulation hazard would make me too nervous.
jenn 07:24 AM 10-11-2013
Wow! Mom sounds a bit extreme. No way would I put milk in my bra
I have had ones with the necklaces and I let them wear them when awake, but take them off for naps. I don't really know if that is what licensing would suggest, but it's what I feel comfortable with. I would give the paci at nap time, but not allow the blanket. Mine do not get a blanket for sleeping until they are old enough to sleep on a mat.
If they parent continues to question, I would refer them to licensing. Let them call and have the licensing department explain to them what the rules are.
butterfly 07:29 AM 10-11-2013
I agree to following the regulations. I had a parent that wanted me to spank. I told her that I could not - not even with parental permission and signed documents. It's just not something that I'm willing to do. That could go so terribly wrong. Spanking is obviously different than what you are dealing with, but it's still against regulations and I think we just have to follow the laws.

Now, as a parent, that's frustrating. I would want my child to be cared for the way I want them to be cared for. But when/if they realize it really is a safety issue and that you are really looking out for the safety of their child - then it should be a nonissue.

But for in the meantime.
Play Care 07:38 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Parents can NEVER give permission to do the wrong thing.

I would simply tell DCM

"I'm sorry but I am required to follow ALL state licensing rules. If you would like to speak with someone about these issues, you can call my licensor at 22-444-5555"

and leave it at that.

Sounds like mom thinks she's the boss, a quick call to licensing might help clear her confusion
daycarediva 07:39 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I'd never put a baby down with anything around their neck. Maybe compromise and tell her you can loop it around her ankle if it's tight enough it won't fall off?

Otherwise I agree with BC. I'd let mom know the point of licensing regs are to keep children safe and reduce provider liability. There are no licensed providers that can or would assume the liability and risk the childs life or their livelihood over such a thing.

The parent has a right to do whatever they want with their child elsewhere, but not in licensed/regulated care.

I would copy my regs and give it to her telling her that I DO understand and wish that you were able to compromise on this, but that you HAVE to follow the licensing regulations that are put in place for the safety and best interests of the kids.
Unregistered 07:39 AM 10-11-2013
i have a dcm that is mad because her baby wears a amber teething necklace and has a paci attached to a bear blanket. The baby has been wearing the necklace for a couple of months and when she gets here i take it off because i don't know if it goes against state licensing rules of nothing in bed with baby. I also take her paci off the blanket. She does cry at first when laid down for her nap but it doesn't last long. Yesterday at pick up i forgot to put the necklace back on her and the paci back into the blanket. Dcm was ticked. I told her licensing rules are nothing in bed with baby. I put her in a sleep sack for nap. She thinks as the parent what she says should be the way it is and does not want the necklace removed at all or her baby napping without her paci hooked on the blanket. I didn't really have an answer for her but it makes me wonder should the parents wishes overrule the state. I will go by the state rules because i have to. This is the same dcm who wanted me to wear babies breast milk in my bra to warm it and i won't do that either. What would you do?
parents can not give you permission to do the wrong thing, they are not in your shoes, they will be the first ones to complain, that necklace paci is dangerous tell her not send it anymore, its youre business, and you know better, youre doing things right for yhe safty of her child and yours.
JenNJ 07:44 AM 10-11-2013
I am a freak about sleep. I have jammies here for every child bc I don't like putting kids down to bed with buttons, zippers, etc. I don't know if the buttons or zipper pull is loose or if a child will fiddle with them making them pop off. It's not worth the risk to me. I am already changing diapers right before nap, so swapping out an outfit only takes an extra 30 seconds.

For infants I put them to sleep in a onesie or approved sleepwear - period. No blankets, lovies, toys at all. One paci of they use it. That's it. Older kids I remove any questionable clothing and replace with pj's. Remove hair ties from girls as well. I don't allow ANY jewelry on any child except for earrings with locking backs. So any jewelry gets put away as soon as they walk in the door.

If the parents don't like that, oh well. I'm sure someone won't be as insane as I am. Lol!
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
parents can not give you permission to do the wrong thing, they are not in your shoes, they will be the first ones to complain, that necklace paci is dangerous tell her not send it anymore, its youre business, and you know better, youre doing things right for yhe safty of her child and yours.
Teething necklaces are not pacifiers and are not for chewing on. They are not dangerous...
MarinaVanessa 07:45 AM 10-11-2013
I have to admit I didn't know what an amber teething necklace was so I had to Google it and to be honest I was a little shocked to find out that it was actually made out of amber and that they're worn to relieve teething discomfort. I had thought that amber might have been the brand name or something and that the necklace was made of some soft material that the baby would chew on . Do they actually work?

Now that I know (and I know that everyone believes differently about raising their children) I'm actually surprised that a parent would want to have their baby wear anything around their neck especially when they're sleeping and will probably not be in their direct supervision during this time. I derped around Google when I looked up the necklace and saw that they also have bracelets, can you maybe compromise and offer to accept allowing the baby to wear a bracelet instead of a necklace?

As far as the paci goes, having one is usually acceptable even with a tether as long as the tether isn't long enough to wrap around the baby's neck. The whole thing about not having anything in bed with a baby while they sleep has to do with anything dangerous that could cover the face and suffocate the baby, wedge a baby between something to cause suffocation or asphyxiation or anything that can cause strangulation. That's why they always use blankets, toys and baby bumpers as examples of what not to allow. Manufacturers now keep paci tethers longer that about 10-12" but would call your licensing office and ask them directly. In my state they don't fuss about paci's or paci tethers but your state might be more strict.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Teething necklaces are not pacifiers and are not for chewing on. They are not dangerous...
This was posted on-line 33 minutes ago

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...g-hazard/?_r=0

In place of amber necklaces, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends several remedies for teething pain that aren’t potential safety hazards

I also did a bit of on-line reading about amber teething necklaces and the one most repeated phrase on all sites was "If you do buy one for your baby, make sure he is supervised at all times" which to me says to NEVER put the baby to bed/sleep with one unless you are actually staring at them the entire nap time.
SilverSabre25 07:53 AM 10-11-2013
This was posted on-line 33 minutes ago

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...g-hazard/?_r=0

In place of amber necklaces, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends several remedies for teething pain that aren’t potential safety hazards
Well I've never heard of problems with one I know tons of people who use them. I am part of a lot of crunchy online communities and have never hread of problems there either. I just haven't run across it. They are made to break under pressure (like cat collars), they are made with a knot in between each "bead", the beads are too small to be choking hazards, and the necklaces are not supposed to be long enough for the child to get it into their mouth. When used correctly I just don't know what the danger is.
craftymissbeth 07:55 AM 10-11-2013
Regardless of whether they are chewed on or not, you truly believe there is no danger of strangulation? Especially during sleep?

eta: you answered ,y question before I posted it
SilverSabre25 07:57 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Regardless of whether they are chewed on or not, you truly believe there is no danger of strangulation? Especially during sleep?
I can't figure out how they would get strangled, no. Especially during sleep. What's going to happen? Seriously, I don't understand how that would happen. Also, I've NEVER heard of problems associated with an amber necklace.
Play Care 07:59 AM 10-11-2013
I think the bottomed line is this - most states say nothing in the crib but the baby, so regardless of what we think and our experience, they are not allowed.
I would follow regs because on the off chance baby does get harmed because of the necklace while in my care, no one is going to say "well it's okay because the parent wanted it."
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 10-11-2013
Well I've never heard of problems with one I know tons of people who use them. I am part of a lot of crunchy online communities and have never hread of problems there either. I just haven't run across it. They are made to break under pressure (like cat collars), they are made with a knot in between each "bead", the beads are too small to be choking hazards, and the necklaces are not supposed to be long enough for the child to get it into their mouth. When used correctly I just don't know what the danger is.
Vendors of Baltic amber necklaces commonly advertise that the necklaces are safe because the string is knotted between each individual bead, so if the necklace breaks only one piece will fall off. But one loose bead is enough for a child to choke on, said Dr. Isabelle Claudet, head of the pediatric emergency department at Children’s Hospital in Toulouse, France. And because the necklaces are produced and sold by smaller vendors, the lack of manufacturing standards makes it impossible to guarantee that any safety clasps will come apart as intended if the necklace becomes caught on anything, increasing the potential for strangulation.

This gal ^^ answered your question...

I'd never heard of them until last year so I really know NOTHING about them other than what I have read...it was just funny that I read your post about them not being dangerous and then like MV was googling them and the link I posted was the first thing that popped up
craftymissbeth 08:00 AM 10-11-2013
I can't figure out how they would get strangled, no. Especially during sleep. What's going to happen? Seriously, I don't understand how that would happen. Also, I've NEVER heard of problems associated with an amber necklace.
Oh, ok. I don't have any experience with amber necklaces. I really don't think I would allow them at all, though, in children under 1... but I'm very particular about things like that. Just my preference, though.
tratliff 08:05 AM 10-11-2013
As a parent, my child wore an Amber teething necklace and it really seemed to help him. I've heard everything from they don't work at all to they work miracles. They are NOT to chew on and should not go in baby's mouth. This means that they are usually fitted in a way that can not stretch to baby's mouth.
As a provider, you really need to check the specific regulation. If there is none, talk to licensing. Honestly, Amber necklaces very well may have medical benefits but if not used properly, they are a hazard. As far as I know, the paci is fine so long as it's not attached to anything so maybe you could point out that she can have paci but not attached to the lovie blanket thingie as per state regulations. That way it's not your fault, it's above your head. I love the suggestion about doubling it around the ankle with mom's permission. Also, I may be out of line so please forgive me but I am also a breastfeeding, amber necklace using "type of mom" (not trying to be stereotypical but I share similar beliefs with this parent) and just wondering if Mom is aware that baby cries when laid down. I don't and won't care for infants, but know many like-minded moms including myself who would not at all be comfortable with baby crying, even if it's only for a few minutes, without being comforted. Again, not trying to be rude, just wanting to make sure you and mom are on the same level so it doesn't come back to bite you later. And I have definitely heard weirder things than Mom wanting you to wear breastmilk to warm it, but I wouldn't do it. That has got to be against regulations. Plus, there are easier, faster ways to do it.
SilverSabre25 08:13 AM 10-11-2013
Meh. to each his own. I don't feel that they pose a risk and I don't have licensing breathing down my neck telling me how to do things.

This is falling into one of those categories I'm never going to touch again, such as extended rear-facing in car seats, and selective vaccination. Proven risk from foward facing too early, and yet so many of you scoff at the idea of extended rear facing. Proven risks associated with giving certain vaccines (have you EVER read the warnings that come with the shot? Scary stuff) and yet you all vax without a second thought. But take something with no proven risk, only supposed risk with 15 "but ifs" attached, and it's the horribilest thing in the world.

Whatever. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't allow it. Simple as that.
craftymissbeth 08:17 AM 10-11-2013
Meh. to each his own. I don't feel that they pose a risk and I don't have licensing breathing down my neck telling me how to do things.

This is falling into one of those categories I'm never going to touch again, such as extended rear-facing in car seats, and selective vaccination. Proven risk from foward facing too early, and yet so many of you scoff at the idea of extended rear facing. Proven risks associated with giving certain vaccines (have you EVER read the warnings that come with the shot? Scary stuff) and yet you all vax without a second thought. But take something with no proven risk, only supposed risk with 15 "but ifs" attached, and it's the horribilest thing in the world.

Whatever. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't allow it. Simple as that.
Yeah, I actually agree with you about all of the above... But I thought we were talking dck's
hgonzalez 08:25 AM 10-11-2013
From the website of Amber Artisians:

'Amber teething jewelry is made for wearing not for chewing. Children should be supervised at all times when wearing jewelry, and it should be removed when child is sleeping or unattended! Not suitable for children under 36 month.

WHEN THE JEWELLERY IS NOT BEING WORN, IT MUST BE KEPT OUT OF REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN.'
Leigh 08:44 AM 10-11-2013
I address this at my interview. I will NOT allow a blanket in a crib, and I do NOT allow jewelry of ANY kind on children of ANY age in my home.

I disagree that a parent's request to give a child a blanket should override licensing rules and safe sleep practices. It is against the rules because it is not safe. Just because all babies don't die from blankets, doesn't mean that it is safe (I have a current DCM whose last baby died because the provider gave her 6 month old a blanket against mom's wishes-cause of death: asphyxiation).

I would simply tell Mom that these rules are not negotiable in yours or any licensed home, and let her leave if she wishes to.
Scout 08:45 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Nope. Nothing in bed with baby.

State over rules Mom on this one.

I would especially not allow the necklace, the strangulation hazard would make me too nervous.

I agree. I wouldn't even button up onsies all the way when my kids were sleeping!
morgan24 08:53 AM 10-11-2013
I'm in MI they can have nothing in bed with them. The pacifier is hooked on to a blanket through a loop. I remove the pacifier from the blanket and still give it to her. The necklace is loose and and she has gotten her hand under it and can pull and twist it so I am more comfortable taking it off at nap. She is six months old.

Dcm has a copy of all the rules. We are required to give them a copy with our paper work. I told her I respect how she feels but I have to go by licensing rules, that's what I signed up for when I got licensed.
lovemykidstoo 08:54 AM 10-11-2013
I have not heard of the amber necklaces so I'll have to google. Looks like you got a lot of info on that already anyway. I was curious as to the wearing of the breastmilk to warm it request. I about spit my pop across the room when I read that. What in the world did you say to her when she asked that. That is hilarious!
Unregistered 08:56 AM 10-11-2013
Whatever it is do not take chances, its not worth it!
Me! 09:00 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have not heard of the amber necklaces so I'll have to google. Looks like you got a lot of info on that already anyway. I was curious as to the wearing of the breastmilk to warm it request. I about spit my pop across the room when I read that. What in the world did you say to her when she asked that. That is hilarious!
What I have learned from this forum...don't eat or drink while reading!
daycaremum 09:01 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
From the website of Amber Artisians:

'Amber teething jewelry is made for wearing not for chewing. Children should be supervised at all times when wearing jewelry, and it should be removed when child is sleeping or unattended! Not suitable for children under 36 month.

WHEN THE JEWELLERY IS NOT BEING WORN, IT MUST BE KEPT OUT OF REACH AND SIGHT OF CHILDREN.'
Well, there you have it. It's not up for debate. AND if it's not even recommended for children under 36 months (three years old), then what the heck is it for??

And, OMG, since when is it not okay for a baby to cry a little bit???? You are each entitled to your own opinion, but seriously, if a child cries for a few minutes and then self soothes and falls asleep, why would we impede that natural development by crippling them with comforting aids (paci) that they obviously don't need?? Jeepers.
morgan24 09:18 AM 10-11-2013
She thought if I put the bag in my bra it would warm it up to body temp. Just like if she was nursing and it would avoid overheating it. I told her no I would warm it in warm water like I always do.
Leigh 09:24 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Well, there you have it. It's not up for debate. AND if it's not even recommended for children under 36 months (three years old), then what the heck is it for??

And, OMG, since when is it not okay for a baby to cry a little bit???? You are each entitled to your own opinion, but seriously, if a child cries for a few minutes and then self soothes and falls asleep, why would we impede that natural development by crippling them with comforting aids (paci) that they obviously don't need?? Jeepers.
Actually, I changed my opinion about pacifiers after getting a lecture from a pediatric nurse about the importance of them, and then around the same time going through safe sleep training and learning that babies that use pacifiers are less likely to die a SIDS death (my own refused pacifiers pretty much from birth).
Sugar Magnolia 09:36 AM 10-11-2013
Can someone please explain how a necklace helps with teething?
I've have a friend who's baby wears one......baby still had teething pain anyways. It seems to me to be kinda silly.

I allow no jewelry whatsoever.
Maria2013 09:42 AM 10-11-2013
while kids are in "my" care they are NOT allowed to wear anything around their neck ...mom doesn't like it she can go somewhere else
MotherNature 09:46 AM 10-11-2013
This. I don't buy into them at all, but they're really pretty. I had one for my son but he hated wearing it, so Isold it to a friend. I have a ton of friends who have them, from babies, to toddlers, to the parents that all wear them. I could totally understand how it would look like a bad idea though at naptime. Perhaps, putting it on the ankle if the mom is insistent? Though, I'd probablyjust leave it off if the baby was unsupervised at nap time. I responded before about the milk in the bra thing. Super weird. I am ridiculously boob & breastfeeding friendly, & that just strikes me as so over the top. I'd ask why...I'll warm it in a glass of water, but I'm not wearing your milk. I'll even wetnurse if you want me to, but I'm not wearing your milk in my bra. Most days I don't even wear a bra, as my 2.5 yr old still nurses often. I have parents that nurse here, and they've all seen me breastfeeding. Totally natural, & something I mention during interviews, ( put indelicately, I tell them....You and your spouse, grandma, etc..whomever drops off/picks up..will see me nursing. You will see my breast most likely, because toddlers & preschoolers practice gymnurstics. If that weirds you out, this is not the best place for you, because I still breastfeed, & this is my son's house first, and daycare second. ) but wearing milk? I might do it once, but not as a habitual thing.
Play Care 09:47 AM 10-11-2013

It seems the OP is licensed and this is against her regs, therefore not a choice the provider can legally make.
morgan24 09:50 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by tratliff:
As a parent, my child wore an Amber teething necklace and it really seemed to help him. I've heard everything from they don't work at all to they work miracles. They are NOT to chew on and should not go in baby's mouth. This means that they are usually fitted in a way that can not stretch to baby's mouth.
As a provider, you really need to check the specific regulation. If there is none, talk to licensing. Honestly, Amber necklaces very well may have medical benefits but if not used properly, they are a hazard. As far as I know, the paci is fine so long as it's not attached to anything so maybe you could point out that she can have paci but not attached to the lovie blanket thingie as per state regulations. That way it's not your fault, it's above your head. I love the suggestion about doubling it around the ankle with mom's permission. Also, I may be out of line so please forgive me but I am also a breastfeeding, amber necklace using "type of mom" (not trying to be stereotypical but I share similar beliefs with this parent) and just wondering if Mom is aware that baby cries when laid down. I don't and won't care for infants, but know many like-minded moms including myself who would not at all be comfortable with baby crying, even if it's only for a few minutes, without being comforted. Again, not trying to be rude, just wanting to make sure you and mom are on the same level so it doesn't come back to bite you later. And I have definitely heard weirder things than Mom wanting you to wear breastmilk to warm it, but I wouldn't do it. That has got to be against regulations. Plus, there are easier, faster ways to do it.
I don't think you are being rude. I want dcm to understand by being licensed to me that means I will go by the states rules. I don't agree with some of the rules but I still go by them. She understood but thought that a parent should have the final say. I give the baby her pacifier at nap but not attached to the blanket. We did go over that when she signed up and she brought a sleep sack for nap time.

I took the teething necklace off because she could get her hand under it and twist it. It wasn't as much of a problem a couple of months ago but as she gets older she finds it more.
SSWonders 09:52 AM 10-11-2013
I don't allow hoods on inside clothing never mind a necklace. Anything that could potentially be a strangulation, suffocation or choking hazard is off limits. I know some parents think the hood thing is a little extreme, but better safe than sorry in my book.
harperluu 10:19 AM 10-11-2013
My concern is whether they are regulated for safety for use with children under a certain age. If they are indeed meant to break away under pressure and the beads don't fall off the necklace, then the entire strand would become a choking hazard if it breaks from the child's neck and lays in their crib unattended. The remedy of amber teething necklaces are not the issue, the safety of an unregulated infant product is the issue.
lovemykidstoo 11:00 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
This. I don't buy into them at all, but they're really pretty. I had one for my son but he hated wearing it, so Isold it to a friend. I have a ton of friends who have them, from babies, to toddlers, to the parents that all wear them. I could totally understand how it would look like a bad idea though at naptime. Perhaps, putting it on the ankle if the mom is insistent? Though, I'd probablyjust leave it off if the baby was unsupervised at nap time. I responded before about the milk in the bra thing. Super weird. I am ridiculously boob & breastfeeding friendly, & that just strikes me as so over the top. I'd ask why...I'll warm it in a glass of water, but I'm not wearing your milk. I'll even wetnurse if you want me to, but I'm not wearing your milk in my bra. Most days I don't even wear a bra, as my 2.5 yr old still nurses often. I have parents that nurse here, and they've all seen me breastfeeding. Totally natural, & something I mention during interviews, ( put indelicately, I tell them....You and your spouse, grandma, etc..whomever drops off/picks up..will see me nursing. You will see my breast most likely, because toddlers & preschoolers practice gymnurstics. If that weirds you out, this is not the best place for you, because I still breastfeed, & this is my son's house first, and daycare second. ) but wearing milk? I might do it once, but not as a habitual thing.
So, you have wetnursed your daycare children? I don't know what gymnurstics is, could you explain? Thanks!
SilverSabre25 11:08 AM 10-11-2013
I don't know what gymnurstics is, could you explain? Thanks!
http://blog.babygizmo.com/wp-content...gymnastics.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zqYPXh17BS...63528531_n.jpg
craftymissbeth 11:12 AM 10-11-2013

So funny!
countrymom 11:14 AM 10-11-2013
well those teething necklaces are a joke, I'm sorry but your child is going to drool or slober with or without the necklace. I have a mom who makes her child wear it all day long, and he still drools. So I asked her if it makes a difference and she says that she has no idea because its hard to tell if he's drooling from teething, if he has a bit of a cold or he just drools. I had a child come with it, and I took it off.

also why would a child need to wear it for bed, I have to agree, with the others who say its a choking hazard, you never ever know what the child will do. so why take the risk.

oh btw, I survived 4 kids slobbering when they were teething and we all did fine.
craftymissbeth 11:16 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
well those teething necklaces are a joke, I'm sorry but your child is going to drool or slober with or without the necklace. I have a mom who makes her child wear it all day long, and he still drools. So I asked her if it makes a difference and she says that she has no idea because its hard to tell if he's drooling from teething, if he has a bit of a cold or he just drools. I had a child come with it, and I took it off.

also why would a child need to wear it for bed, I have to agree, with the others who say its a choking hazard, you never ever know what the child will do. so why take the risk.

oh btw, I survived 4 kids slobbering when they were teething and we all did fine.
I'm pretty sure they aren't meant to relieve drooling if that's what you mean. I read that when the body warms the amber something absorbs into the skin and that's what's helpful... but someone with experience will know better and maybe chime in.
lovemykidstoo 11:18 AM 10-11-2013
From what I gathered they're kinda like those magnetic bracelets that are supposed to help people with arthritis and things like that.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:18 AM 10-11-2013

I have and wear several myself and so does my daughter.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:21 AM 10-11-2013

I support every view you hold about these things. But, I'm a crunchy mama as well who researches every single day about such topics.
Although, we don't selectively vaccinate, we simply don't do it period. There's nothing I've read that has convinced me to give any or get any vaccinations.

Sounds like this dcm is as well. I'm too paranoid about smothering so I wouldn't do the blanket attached to the pacifier and warming milk with the boob seems time consuming and peculiar. I don't know why you couldn't heat that another way? Haven't read any benefits to doing it that way but to each their own.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:24 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremum:

I don't believe in crying a little bit, either. Ohhh heavens. The crunchy mamas are crazy.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:29 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm pretty sure they aren't meant to relieve drooling if that's what you mean. I read that when the body warms the amber something absorbs into the skin and that's what's helpful... but someone with experience will know better and maybe chime in.
No, their purpose is not for drooling relief. That is a benefit that many people experience, though.

"Baltic amber has been used for centuries for teething and is renown for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties, which is how it can be helpful for soothing red inflamed cheeks and gums. In addition to assisting to reduce pain, drooling (for which amber is said to work by stimulating the thyroid glands) and irritability that is often associated with teething, amber beads have also been claimed to relieve eczema, speed up wound healing and stave off ear and throat inflammation, amongst many other ailments.

Amber can also help with concentration and the body’s reflexes. It offers an energy boost and has positive effects for the nervous system and the heart. Because these little wonders come from nature, they are also good for the environment, and are a great alternative to synthetic pain relief medications, reducing exposure to the ingredients contained in teething gels.

You may assume that babies need to chew on the beads to get relief – but the effects are actually said to come from the beads touching skin, when body heat causes the amber to release succinic acid. The acid isn’t exclusive to amber – its found in many plants and animals. The beads should NOT be chewed at all and the necklace should be short enough so that it cant be placed into the mouth."
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby/am...s#.UlhDBSie594

As for the warning about not under 3 ... everything has a warning on it these days for liability purposes. Ridiculous warnings on so many things that seem to make very little sense. I, too, have NEVER heard of anything bad happening from an infant wearing one. But, if one was really nervous they could always wrap it around as an anklet.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I don't allow hoods on inside clothing never mind a necklace. Anything that could potentially be a strangulation, suffocation or choking hazard is off limits. I know some parents think the hood thing is a little extreme, but better safe than sorry in my book.
I'm weird about the strings on ANY of their clothing. I simply don't allow them to be worn here. I have heard way too many horror stories.

I agree....better safe than sorry.

I also don't allow open toed shoes for the same reasons. Stub your toe and trip on your mom's watch not mine.
delferka 12:19 PM 10-11-2013
I would say bye bye if anyone told me to put anything in my bra!!!!
blandino 12:21 PM 10-11-2013
I'm weird about the strings on ANY of their clothing. I simply don't allow them to be worn here. I have heard way too many horror stories.

I agree....better safe than sorry.

I also don't allow open toed shoes for the same reasons. Stub your toe and trip on your mom's watch not mine.
I am the same way. Parents send their children in drool bibs and those really make me nervous. I require all pacifiers be on clips, but the straps from the clips make me nervous.
blandino 12:23 PM 10-11-2013
Aside from the fact that it is just bizarre to ask another woman to warm for milk in her bra. Did she think about the uncomfortability factor ? That she is asking you to put something cold inside your bra ? Who would ask someone to do something that uncomfortable ?
Neekie 12:33 PM 10-11-2013
I have run into this with one of my families where the mother wants her baby to wear an amber necklace for teething. I called my state licensor and discussed it with her. She said they are allowed as long as I have a permission slip signed by the doctor. I really did not expect the licensor to ok it even with a doctor's permission and so I was surprised when she did. And then I was even more surprised when the mother came back with a letter written and signed by the doctor giving me permission to let the baby wear the necklace.
SilverSabre25 12:57 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Neekie:
I have run into this with one of my families where the mother wants her baby to wear an amber necklace for teething. I called my state licensor and discussed it with her. She said they are allowed as long as I have a permission slip signed by the doctor. I really did not expect the licensor to ok it even with a doctor's permission and so I was surprised when she did. And then I was even more surprised when the mother came back with a letter written and signed by the doctor giving me permission to let the baby wear the necklace.

hgonzalez 01:08 PM 10-11-2013
And I think I am irritable now? Just the thought of a cold bag of breast milk inside my bra makes me cr-cr-crabby!
Unregistered 01:36 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Neekie:
No doctor can give permission to put children at risk and for me to pay the price its just not happening
TwinKristi 01:48 PM 10-11-2013
Not to mention not all amber necklaces are made the same. They're made to break away at the clasp or an individual strand so choking and such aren't likey BUT I agree, sleeping is a no go. The last baby I had was to wear a bib ALL the TIME!! Drove me nuts and I always had to take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on for naps. Because he always had one on I didn't even notice the necklace and found it when checking on the baby during nap laying next to him. I almost had a heart attack just thinking what if he put it in his mouth and choked or fell asleep with it in his mouth? OMG. I noticed the clasp was not working properly and baby could just pull it right off. I told mom no more amber necklaces!!
But I would think a paci is ok? Blankets no, taggies or lovies yes.
daycare 01:57 PM 10-11-2013
I have not read all of the responses, but what in the world would ever be safe to put around a baby's neck?? I don't even know what that thing is that you are talking about.

I had a mother once ask me not to feed their child while they were here due to the chld being over weight and I said, sorry, but I will not do that or anything else that goes against licensing rules and regulations. I would not do it for you or anyone else. Lets just say she never signed up.

I dont care what parents want me to do, if it is against licensing, the answer is NO. NOt worth me losing my business.
Reply Up