Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Should A Five Month DCB Be Eating?
Unregistered 09:51 AM 12-12-2013
I've had him for a couple months now he is breasted. Never done great with the bottle but used to take 4oz three times a day. The past month will not take more than an oz at a time for maybe a total of 4-6oz in an 8 hour day. I have a four month girl who eats 18oz a day! He is miserable...I'm miserable... Parents don't think it's a real issue and I have mentioned they may have to come feed themselves. Dad actually suggested yesterday that maybe 1oz fills him up!!! Umm no I might buy that if he didn't constantly scream unless he is being touched. And of course they are waiting to start on solids until six months.
thetoddlerwhisper 09:53 AM 12-12-2013
dcg 5mnths eats a 6-8oz bottle every 4-5hours. usually on demand. she has started cereal at home but dcm isnt ready to introduce here yet
Lorri 09:58 AM 12-12-2013
Omg the baby needs more than that. My son was born with holes in his heart but it didn't bother him till he was three months old and that is how much he started to eat in a day. Took him to the doctor and that is when he said he need more than that. That is what most child eat in a setting. We ended up tube feeding my son until he was five months old and then he had open heart surgery. They need to call their doctor and have him checked out.
BumbleBee 09:59 AM 12-12-2013
How much is he nursing at night? Is he losing weight (or not gaining?) Could it be reflux? Is his miserableness new or has he always been that way?

Fwiw I have a 7 month old who eats 6 oz every 4 hrs (2 bottles here) and nurses 2 times at home (once before coming to dc & once before bed). Sleeps through the night so no night feedings. She takes 2 TBS of oatmeal or rice cereal twice a day. She's 20 lbs currently.
TwinKristi 10:01 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
dcg 5mnths eats a 6-8oz bottle every 4-5hours. usually on demand. she has started cereal at home but dcm isnt ready to introduce here yet
This is WAY too much for a breastfed baby to eat, a formula fed baby yes, but not breastmilk.

I had a baby who was 8mos and ate 3 6oz bottles a day plus solids. He usually ate before his 9am nap, before his 1pm nap and around 3:30 before going home but eventually cut those out and just had 1 bottle before nap time.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

It may be a good idea to try 2oz every couple hours and see if that helps him. Breastfed babies need more smaller feedings vs less bigger feedings like formula fed babies.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:03 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
This is WAY too much for a breastfed baby to eat, a formula fed baby yes, but not breastmilk.

I had a baby who was 8mos and ate 3 6oz bottles a day plus solids. He usually ate before his 9am nap, before his 1pm nap and around 3:30 before going home but eventually cut those out and just had 1 bottle before nap time.

shes formula and its that nasty soy stuff. yuck
BumbleBee 10:04 AM 12-12-2013

I disagree. When my dcg was 4 months she was on nothing but breastmilk & ate 6 oz every 3 hrs. Every child is different.
TwinKristi 10:34 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I disagree. When my dcg was 4 months she was on nothing but breastmilk & ate 6 oz every 3 hrs. Every child is different.
What is it that you disagree with? You just said the exact thing I did... Three 6 oz bottles is what my DCB ate. But if baby isn't eating but 1oz, why waste 5oz that you can't save or reheat? Obviously if a baby is drinking that much, by all means feed them. Many babies will overeat when bottle fed but what mom can produce via pump and what baby eats should be close or you risk having to supplement. My son has never had more than a 4oz bottle of milk even beyond 1yr. Every baby IS different but if the baby isn't drinking that much than lower the size of the bottles and watch for hunger cues.
BumbleBee 10:37 AM 12-12-2013
What is it that you disagree with? You just said the exact thing I did... Three 6 oz bottles is what my DCB ate. But if baby isn't eating but 1oz, why waste 5oz that you can't save or reheat? Obviously if a baby is drinking that much, by all means feed them. Many babies will overeat when bottle fed but what mom can produce via pump and what baby eats should be close or you risk having to supplement. My son has never had more than a 4oz bottle of milk even beyond 1yr. Every baby IS different but if the baby isn't drinking that much than lower the size of the bottles and watch for hunger cues.
Sorry, my mistake. I thought you meant a breastfed baby shouldn't be taking 6-8 oz every 4-5 hrs at that age. I read it differently than you meant it. Sorry!
itlw8 10:45 AM 12-12-2013
Is the brand of formula different? have they gone to a larger hole nipple at home and you still have the newborn? I would first try a larger nipple and then see about a different one
Unregistered 06:32 AM 12-13-2013
Same bottle as always. Breast milk as usual. Used to to eat at least 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours. Now just refuses. He will take about an oz when he first latches on bottle but it's like after he realizes it's the bottle he is immediately done with it. And he is never happy. But te last month has been the worst and I'm assuming it has to be because he is hungry. He eats fine at home and hasn't lost weight.

If he was happy and not eating that would e one thing but generally screams if he isn't being touched.
sharlan 09:43 AM 12-13-2013
My almost 3 mo is breastfed at home and take 4 oz every 3 hours.
TwinKristi 09:57 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Same bottle as always. Breast milk as usual. Used to to eat at least 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours. Now just refuses. He will take about an oz when he first latches on bottle but it's like after he realizes it's the bottle he is immediately done with it. And he is never happy. But te last month has been the worst and I'm assuming it has to be because he is hungry. He eats fine at home and hasn't lost weight.

If he was happy and not eating that would e one thing but generally screams if he isn't being touched.
Maybe is MOM doing something different with milk? Freezing it? Using an older stash from the freezer? Or is it all fresh? I would try and find another bottle and see if that helps. Maybe needs a slower flow or faster flow? Does baby take a bottle at home ever?
Holladee 11:11 AM 12-13-2013
My five month old is ebf. I am away from him once a week for 4-5 hours and in that time he often will only take an ounce or two. However, he is usually content to wait for me to get home.

The baby in your care has a strong preference for the breast which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he makes up for it when he's with mom. The problem is that he's miserable with you because of hunger. That's no fun for anyone.

I'm sure you've tried it all, but I'll throw a few things out there...

Temp of milk...with my ds he prefers it very, very warm.

Position of feeding....I would try different positions. Maybe being cradled won't work because he associates that with breastfeeding. Are you allowed to place him in a bouncy seat and try to feed that way? If not, I would try to sit on the floor with your legs crossed and lay him on your lap and feed him that way.

Timing of feeding...I would try to offer the bottle before he showing any signs of hunger. I know if my lo gets too hungry it's too late and he will be too upset and will refuse the bottle.

Are you allowed to swaddle? I would try swaddling, rocking, and shushing and try to feed.

That's all I can think of! Good luck - I hope you can find something that works.
Cradle2crayons 12:45 PM 12-13-2013
Maybe is MOM doing something different with milk? Freezing it? Using an older stash from the freezer? Or is it all fresh? I would try and find another bottle and see if that helps. Maybe needs a slower flow or faster flow? Does baby take a bottle at home ever?
A different flow nipple or diff type nipple is a good idea!!!

I've had breastfed babies before with the same issues until we changed nipples.

Also, op, have mom bring one of her shirts with her smell on it for you to out over your shoulder while feeding.
Reply Up