Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Using the Living Room as Daycare Room
greentea78 10:23 AM 03-06-2014
I live in a small 2 bedroom house. Right now I have one of the bedrooms and the playroom is in the other bedroom. I like having the playroom, but I'm really wanting to have my living space separate from the daycare space. so my thought was to turn the living room into the playroom and move my living room into the second bedroom. It's harder to supervise everyone when they are in three different rooms (playroom is off the kitchen). Plus having the toys contained in one room would be nice. I only take infants and toddlers, so there are always toys in the living room, playroom, and the kitchen.

I would block off the kitchen (we would still eat in there, the kids just wouldn't have free access) and keep everyone in one room. Per licensing regs, based on square foot, I could have 5 kids in the living room alone (I only have 4 at a time).

My sister thinks they need the extra room. We are also outside a lot. Has anyone done this or something like it? Ultimately I would like to get a bigger house with a family room, but in the meantime would this work?
Patches 11:02 AM 03-06-2014
Yes. I have a two story house and pretty much the whole main level is daycare. We turned the living/dining room into the main playroom. The master bedroom is right off of the living room and we eventually turned that into an infant room. We moved our living room and bedroom upstairs and our kids bedrooms are already upstairs. We joke that we live in the apartment above the daycare, but I love it this way.
greentea78 11:46 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
Yes. I have a two story house and pretty much the whole main level is daycare. We turned the living/dining room into the main playroom. The master bedroom is right off of the living room and we eventually turned that into an infant room. We moved our living room and bedroom upstairs and our kids bedrooms are already upstairs. We joke that we live in the apartment above the daycare, but I love it this way.
I love my daycare, but don't love it being in my house. Your set up is exactly what I want to do in the next year or so when I look for a new place.
LeslieG 11:55 AM 03-06-2014
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor. My hubby and I don't have any kids of our own yet, so one bedroom is ours, the other bedroom is our "living room" and the living room is the playroom. It works out great!! At first I was kind of bummed about not being able to use our nice big living room, but the second bedroom works out great for our living space. I absolutely love that it is ours and that kids do not go in there!
cara041083 11:59 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
I wish I could do this. I have a 3 bedroom one story home and use all my rooms for daycare plus live in them lol. We are looking to move and doing what you are doing is something to think about
greentea78 12:26 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor. My hubby and I don't have any kids of our own yet, so one bedroom is ours, the other bedroom is our "living room" and the living room is the playroom. It works out great!! At first I was kind of bummed about not being able to use our nice big living room, but the second bedroom works out great for our living space. I absolutely love that it is ours and that kids do not go in there!
I live by myself and I'm not exactly social, so I don't have a lot of people over. Lol. I think it will work well for me.
Leigh 12:36 PM 03-06-2014
I have a daycare space separate from my living quarters USUALLY. When we have foster kids move in, depending on how many, I have to give up my playroom and move it to the living room so my playroom can become a bedroom for a foster kid. I HATE it. I want my living room back! I would much rather have my playroom in the bedroom, personally.
greentea78 02:07 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have a daycare space separate from my living quarters USUALLY. When we have foster kids move in, depending on how many, I have to give up my playroom and move it to the living room so my playroom can become a bedroom for a foster kid. I HATE it. I want my living room back! I would much rather have my playroom in the bedroom, personally.
I would still have a living room, it would just be in a bedroom. That's what's great about living by myself. I don't have to use the extra bedroom as a bedroom.
jenboo 02:22 PM 03-06-2014
I turned the family room into the daycare only room. It is only used for daycare and that is it. It is one room with the kitchen and basically separate from the rest of the house. The room isnt that big but it meets licensing requirements. I love that i can go into my living room/bedrooms and there is nothing daycare related in there!
greentea78 04:50 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I turned the family room into the daycare only room. It is only used for daycare and that is it. It is one room with the kitchen and basically separate from the rest of the house. The room isnt that big but it meets licensing requirements. I love that i can go into my living room/bedrooms and there is nothing daycare related in there!
That's what I'm aiming for. Right now at the end of the day there are toys in every room, except my bedroom.
craftymissbeth 07:19 PM 03-06-2014
I live in a two story 4 bedroom house and I would LOVE to move the living room upstairs. With have two bedrooms that are totally empty so it would be perfect. The only thing I dislike is there isn't a bathroom upstairs
Tags:living room, playroom layout, safe play space, set up, set-up
Reply Up