Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Barking Cough and Raised Rash In 10 Month Old
MCC 10:53 AM 07-29-2014
Good afternoon all, I have a 10 month old here who started a barking cough on Sunday clear runny nose, and dry cry, no fever. She is eating normal and acting happy. When I changed her diaper around 11 am, she had mucusy poo, no rash. I just changed her at 1:15 and same mucusy poo, and now has a rash on her legs, stomach, and back. It looks like bug bites, or larger hives, raised bumps, not warm to the touch.

Mom is taking her to the Dr at 2:30, my question is, when should I let her return? I don't have a Dr. note policy, is it still okay for me to ask for one that says she is not contagious? I do have a "unknown rash" exclusion.

I have another dcg, 19 months, out yesterday and today, who has confirmed croup, the two girls have not been around each other since last Wednesday, and neither of them had any symptoms. Is it possible that 10 mo caught croup from 19 mo? Does croup come with a hivey rash?

TIA
hope 11:04 AM 07-29-2014
I would ask the mom for a doctors note stating the diagnosis and if contagious. If the doctor is unsure of what it is then I would ask that the child remain home till the rash clears.

I don't know much about the croup but would have dcm ask the doctor those questions.
TwinKristi 11:14 AM 07-29-2014
Croup usually happens at night with my kids. They didn't have much of a cough during the day which was hard for taking them to the dr. We went to the ER once with my youngest when he had a crazy weird cough that caused vomiting sometimes. They didn't hear he whole time we were there, he was about to release us when DS fell asleep and started coughing. The dr stopped writing and started doing more examination! Gave him steroids immediately and an Rx for one.

As far as the rash, that could be anything! I wouldn't have her back until the rash is 100% gone, no symptoms and a dr visit with a note as to what it was and what the treatment plan was.
MCC 11:18 AM 07-29-2014
Thanks, I told DCM to get a note and to let me know what the DR says. Her rash was WAAAAY worse when I woke her up for pick up.

Also- my 3yo DD has just been diagnosed with asthma, she has had 4 attacks since 4th of July, two of them landing us in the ER, I'm assuming there is a big risk for her if she gets croup, does anyone has information on croup and asthma?
TwinKristi 11:24 AM 07-29-2014
What meds do you use for asthma? The 2x-day steroid budesonide (Pulmicort) works well for croup if you have it on hand.
MCC 11:33 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
What meds do you use for asthma? The 2x-day steroid budesonide (Pulmicort) works well for croup if you have it on hand.
Right now we are in the very beginning of diagnosis. She had one attack when she was 18 months old while she had bronchitis. They called it a broncialspasm.

This past 4th of July she woke up in the middle of the night having a full blown attack, no cold or anything. She could not regulate her breathing, and by the time we got to the ER she was limp and blue around the mouth, and barely getting breaths in. Very loud wheezing. She had a steroid treatment there, and was released with a rescue albuteral inhaler.

When we saw her pedi the next Monday they gave her a once a day Flovant (sp) steroid inhaler, and the rescue. After the second ER trip, pedi bumped her to twice a day Flovant.

We go back in 2 months, or if she has more than 2 attacks a week before then.

Would it be over kill to call the pedi and ask for advice on the possible croup?
Unregistered 11:58 AM 07-29-2014
Absolutely not over-reach to call for croup. It CAN be very serious, though generally it isn't that bad.

For a child with any other breathing issue? Call!
SignMeUp 12:02 PM 07-29-2014
I have not heard of a rash with croup. I have no first-hand experience, but lots of my child care kids have had it over the years. They were sick enough, or it interrupted their sleep enough, that they stayed home the next day if they had an incident in the night. Parents mostly used the "go outside if it's cold, and in a steamy bathroom otherwise" technique. One child ended up hospitalized though. And one had to go to the e.r. but was not admitted.

The rash almost makes you think allergy. Asthma CAN go with allergies, but does not always.

I think it definitely warrants a call to the doctor, and don't be surprised if child needs to be seen.
Reply Up