Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Most Annoying Thing....
jenboo 07:04 AM 06-23-2017
We open at 8am . Or 730 with approval and a higher tuition rate.

When dcb first started, dcd was dropping off around 745am. After a few days, i emailed asking if they needed to change their contracted hours. They said no, 8 was good. So for about a week, they dropped off at 801. Then 759, then 758. I made another comment about how we don't open until 8.

Fast forward, dcd is knocking on our door between 757 and 758 daily. We decided to not open the door until 8. Now we get to listen to constant knocking for 2 min. Ugh. I really want to scream "Just sit in your car for two freaking minutes!".

It sounds petty, but i work another job from home in the mornings so i really need every minute until we own to get ready.
daycare 07:11 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:

When dcb first started, dcd was dropping off around 745am. After a few days, i emailed asking if they needed to change their contracted hours. They said no, 8 was good. So for about a week, they dropped off at 801. Then 759, then 758. I made another comment about how we don't open until 8.

Fast forward, dcd is knocking on our door between 757 and 758 daily. We decided to not open the door until 8. Now we get to listen to constant knocking for 2 min. Ugh. I really want to scream "Just sit in your car for two freaking minutes!".

It sounds petty, but i work another job from home in the mornings so i really need every minute until we own to get ready.
I had to wait in front of target until 8am when it opened, I could have pounded all I wanted and no one was going to open that door.

I did that math on it once for a parent who was always 5 min late picking up. over a years time it was 21.65 hours of time that I didn't get paid or $215.00 of my time I gave away for free. if everyone did that, I have 12 kids, I would be losing $2,598 each year.

No thanks...plus, it's my time....
KiwiKids 07:12 AM 06-23-2017
You aren't petty! Him sitting there knocking for two minutes is petty. His drop off time is 8am not 7:58.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-23-2017

"DCD, your drop off time is not until 8:00. Showing up a few minutes early is unacceptable. If you need an earlier drop off time please let me know and your contract and rates will be amended. If you do not need an earlier drop off time, please be respectful of my family's time and do not approach my door until 8:00 AM or AFTER."

Be firm. This behavior is rude but sometimes is something a family simply doesn't see that way. In those cases, I try to use the example of how if every family dropped off 5 minutes early every day, that would be X number of hours I am providing for free and they (parents) don't give their employers FREE so why expect that from you? When you phrase it that way most suddenly have an epiphany and understand where you are coming from.

If they don't understand then they are just plain old rude and need clear boundaries and words.

Sorry you are having a tough time with this family.
bklsmum 07:14 AM 06-23-2017
If they do it again after you have spoken to them then just give them a bill at the end of the week with their new amended rate.
DaycareDays126 07:32 AM 06-23-2017
I have a DCM (who literally lives down the street...walks here) that does this ALL THE TIME. Constantly showing up 2-5 minutes early banging on the door. I open my door at 7 on the dot every day. I didn't just "forget" that day...I can certainly see/hear them...and they can see the clock from the door! I said something to her about it the other day after doing it twice this week and she gave me an attitude about it! Now I leave the door locked and they can stare at me and bang on the door all they want until 7! So rude and total disrespect for my time...it drives me craaaaaaazzzzzzyyyyyyyy
midaycare 07:34 AM 06-23-2017
I would skip talking to dcd again and hand out a new notice (even if it's only to dcd) "drop offs earlier than 8:00 am will result in a fee of $1 per minute. Due by following morning or no care will be given."

Or due that morning, or $2 a minute, or whatever. I'd be annoyed, but I'd accept a 7:58 dropoff for an extra $10 a week.
bklsmum 07:34 AM 06-23-2017
If someone kept banging on my door after I had already spoken to them about it, they would be gone. I could NOT deal with that level of disrespect.
trix23 07:37 AM 06-23-2017
I now charge early drop-off fees. $10 For 0-10 minutes early, silently billed through the Square App. After implementing it, no one came early again!
bklsmum 07:40 AM 06-23-2017
It's really sad that the only thing that motivates most people is money.
Ariana 09:18 AM 06-23-2017
Skip the talking you have already said everything you could say and they are not stupid. Just hit them where it hurts, their wallet.

Is it possible his clock says 8? Make sure the clocks are synced.
Mike 12:24 PM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Skip the talking you have already said everything you could say and they are not stupid. Just hit them where it hurts, their wallet.

They've been told. Next time, go to the door and just bill them for the overage.
AmyKidsCo 12:40 PM 06-23-2017
I had a family that did the same thing. Opening time was 7:00 and they consistently walked in at 6:58, 6:57, etc. I always figured that if you can get here 2-3 minutes early consistently you can figure out how to get here at 7:00 consistently.

Once they were the only ones scheduled and told me they were coming at 9:00 so I left the house and came home at 9:00 on the dot. They were waiting at the door...
Mike 12:43 PM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I had a family that did the same thing. Opening time was 7:00 and they consistently walked in at 6:58, 6:57, etc. I always figured that if you can get here 2-3 minutes early consistently you can figure out how to get here at 7:00 consistently.

Once they were the only ones scheduled and told me they were coming at 9:00 so I left the house and came home at 9:00 on the dot. They were waiting at the door...
At least they didn't just drop the kid off and leave.
morningrl 01:37 PM 06-23-2017
Ok, here goes. I've been getting valuable info from this site for years now and finally decided to register and post. Hope I'm doing this right. I have a licensed family child care. An issue like this happened to me just this morning which is why I had to get on this site and try to ease my frustration. Then saw Jenboo's post which automatically made me feel better. I so far have not experienced constant knocking after reminding someone of their contract time, that would be grounds for termination, in my book. In my situation, this one of my newer parents who isn't scheduled for drop off until 7:20 and I open at 7. It just so happened this morning was the first morning she was the first one here for the day and decided to come in early and my door was still locked. She knocked at 7:15, my dog started barking, and I was just doing a last min potty break before she was supposed to arrive. She called my cell which I then went to answer and she asked if I was closed. I said, no I just hadn't unlocked the door yet because her contract time was 7:20, that she was the first one scheduled for the day and it wasn't that time yet. I explained that contract time meant she comes in the door at that time not before. She immediately got upset. Saying, UNBELIEVABLE and walking off. I said, she can come in now that she's here. She stomped off my porch obviously upset and started dialing her phone. I said its ok she can just come in. She said NO, I have to call my husband. She came back in, in 5 min, handed me the child and said, I have to go. I had actually gone over her contract time with her within her first few days of starting as well, when she came in 15 min early one morning. Her excuse then was she had paperwork to give me and wanted to have time to give it to me.I just don't understand why it upset her so much. I didn't even charge her a late fee, just told her why the door wasn't open and explained what contract time meant.
e.j. 01:51 PM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If it's only a minute or two difference, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his clock is a little off from yours. Since you need those few minutes to get ready, though, I'd maybe speak with him again and just explain that while you don't want to seem petty, you really do need those few minutes. I'd ask him to either set his watch so that it syncs with yours or to at least refrain from knocking. Reassure him that if the door is still locked when he arrives, you will unlock the door just as soon as your clock shows it's 8:00.

One day care provider who had the same problem solved it by leaving her entry lights on until it was opening time. If day care parents arrived early, they knew to sit in their cars and wait until the lights were turned off. You shouldn't have to do that but....it worked for her!
bklsmum 02:06 PM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by morningrl:
Ok, here goes. I've been getting valuable info from this site for years now and finally decided to register and post. Hope I'm doing this right. I have a licensed family child care. An issue like this happened to me just this morning which is why I had to get on this site and try to ease my frustration. Then saw Jenboo's post which automatically made me feel better. I so far have not experienced constant knocking after reminding someone of their contract time, that would be grounds for termination, in my book. In my situation, this one of my newer parents who isn't scheduled for drop off until 7:20 and I open at 7. It just so happened this morning was the first morning she was the first one here for the day and decided to come in early and my door was still locked. She knocked at 7:15, my dog started barking, and I was just doing a last min potty break before she was supposed to arrive. She called my cell which I then went to answer and she asked if I was closed. I said, no I just hadn't unlocked the door yet because her contract time was 7:20, that she was the first one scheduled for the day and it wasn't that time yet. I explained that contract time meant she comes in the door at that time not before. She immediately got upset. Saying, UNBELIEVABLE and walking off. I said, she can come in now that she's here. She stomped off my porch obviously upset and started dialing her phone. I said its ok she can just come in. She said NO, I have to call my husband. She came back in, in 5 min, handed me the child and said, I have to go. I had actually gone over her contract time with her within her first few days of starting as well, when she came in 15 min early one morning. Her excuse then was she had paperwork to give me and wanted to have time to give it to me.I just don't understand why it upset her so much. I didn't even charge her a late fee, just told her why the door wasn't open and explained what contract time meant.
She was mad because she wanted to drop off early and couldn't. Paperwork that has to be given can be given at contracted time.
Magic 02:32 PM 06-23-2017
Not evey one clocks are on the " same " time ,even in my own house .....but ..I have a $4.00 clock out side right at the front door ...set to computer world time ...can not, NOT see it while knocking
Unregistered 02:41 PM 06-23-2017
I work in a dc and we open at 6am every morning, we have had a few parents come at 5:58 and knock on our door and we ignore them until time to open after a few times, they get the hint. We only charge if they are late at pickup ($1.00 per minute) after 6:00pm.
flying_babyb 08:00 PM 06-23-2017
Solve the issue by saying 8 am on your clock then hang it where it can be seen through the door or open window! We did this at one center I worked at and it worked like a charm
jenboo 09:03 PM 06-23-2017
I do have an early drop off fee but haven't used it since i no longer open the door. I need those last few minutes.
My handbook states that times go off my cell phone. He uses his cell phone to see the time when signing in. To my knowledge, cell phones are the same time.

I really like the idea of getting a cheap clock to hang on the door so the time is right in front of his face with a sign that says we open at 8, not a minute before.
Pestle 09:55 PM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
If someone kept banging on my door after I had already spoken to them about it, they would be gone. I could NOT deal with that level of disrespect.
This. "As a family day care provider who operates out of my home, I must ensure that my own family's time and privacy are respected. Repeated knocking and phone calls before day care hours begin is harassment and grounds for termination." Or something to that effect.
Snowmom 06:43 AM 06-24-2017
Originally Posted by morningrl:
Welcome!

As mentioned by a pp, she's mad she couldn't drop off early.

Some parents think in-home providers should "be more flexible" (their words-not mine) or don't see the value of 5 minutes here and there or "you're home anyways".
It's up to us to set the stage from the very beginning. You let them do it just once- they will do it again.
Guaranteed.
Tags:early arrivals
Reply Up