Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Clip This Baby’s Nails?
Givingthemgrace 06:22 AM 01-15-2015
A few are really long and she's scratching me. I don't want to accidentally clip her finger and make mom mad though...
BabyMonkeys 06:41 AM 01-15-2015
It really depends on your relationship with the parents. I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I like to do simple things that make the parent's lives easier. I only accept 3 at a time and currently have two 13m dcbs and a 7m. I have had them since birth, and thankfully have a great relationship with the parents. If I suspected that they might be upset I would ask them first. Good luck!
jenboo 06:42 AM 01-15-2015
I wouldn't but I would tell mom they need to be clipped tonight and then check them the next morning.
Givingthemgrace 06:57 AM 01-15-2015
I think I'll text mom "Is it okay if I clip DCG nails? They grow so fast!". Does that sound good? I don't want her to feel bad about it or anything.
hope 07:12 AM 01-15-2015
I would. I have in the past and usually moms say they are afraid to and am glad I did. I don't see any good reason for the mom to want them long and grown out. If the baby is going to scratch themselves at my home I would rather risk the parent being upset over me trimming their nails rather than a bad scratch on their face.
Controlled Chaos 08:14 AM 01-15-2015
My only concern is making the parent feel guilty about me having to do it. I don't mind. It takes 2 minutes. Anytime I have done it parents have been very appreciative. If it is the first time, I think a text is perfect - just to check.
cara041083 08:22 AM 01-15-2015
In my experience, I use to clip everyone's nails. If I noticed that the child needed it. I did it. Well it got to a point where the parents stopped doing it because they new I would and when I didn't do it, they would mention it to me in ways like "Oh DCG's nails are pretty long, she might scratch someone" and then wait for me to clip them. So I stopped and now I tell the parents when I notice it needs to be done. Now if it is going to hurt someone then yes of course I do it. but I let the parents know that I just did it this one time and normally I don't do it.
daycarediva 08:25 AM 01-15-2015
I do Monday Manicures. Everyone gets a clip that needs them. I find that it slips most parents minds. I don't even mention it, but I have clipped the nails of every child in my care at one point or another.

I also paint the girls nails on Mondays, too. So if the boys need it, they get clipped a little filed, too.
Leigh 08:27 AM 01-15-2015
I do it. I remember when mine was so small that I preferred to do it in the daytime because the natural light made it easier for me to see what I was doing. For that very reason, I do it for my daycare kids when needed.
finsup 09:09 AM 01-15-2015
If it were my baby, I wouldn't mind (and be apologizing a bunch for not remembering to do it! Lol). But your text sounds fine to me
Play Care 09:10 AM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
In my experience, I use to clip everyone's nails. If I noticed that the child needed it. I did it. Well it got to a point where the parents stopped doing it because they new I would and when I didn't do it, they would mention it to me in ways like "Oh DCG's nails are pretty long, she might scratch someone" and then wait for me to clip them. So I stopped and now I tell the parents when I notice it needs to be done. Now if it is going to hurt someone then yes of course I do it. but I let the parents know that I just did it this one time and normally I don't do it.

I can totally see where some parents would view this at part of the service, and not the extra it truly is
Unregistered 09:27 AM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I don't just for this reason. I would do little things for the younger ones 18months and younger, and the parents started expecting it as part of the services I offered. I stopped right away. They still mention it once in a while and I just smile and say hmmm and continue what I was doing or say bye if they are leaving. I am not their children's parent and it is not my job to groom their children. I always make time to check my own children's nails every week because I know how fast they grow. It's easy enough during bath time or when reading a story together. Sometimes I just think parents just don't spend enough time with their children or just don't plain care.
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I wouldn't but I would tell mom they need to be clipped tonight and then check them the next morning.
This. As a parent, I would be livid if someone took it upon themselves to cut my child's nails.

Ask the parent to do it as it IS a safety issue. If the parent does not do it, then either exclude or ask permission to do it yourself.

I would not do it myself and would exclude simply because a separation between parental and provider responsibility is important to me but if others have a different type of parent-provider relationship that's fine too.
spinnymarie 10:48 AM 01-15-2015
We have this problem continually with one child. We usually just mention that he scratched himself or someone else and mom usually takes care of it. Nail clipping is not part of my job.
284878 05:52 PM 01-15-2015
I just texted DCM last night and asked her to do it. I said something like
"Could you please clip DCB (4 month old) nails. He has been really scratching me. Thanks for understanding"
He pinched me with his nails, I had to separate his fingers to get him to unpinch my skin. OWWWWW!!!
Sugaree 04:53 AM 01-16-2015
I wish my daycare would clip DS's nails when he needs it. I swear it feels like I do it every three days and he still scratches himself (and me) on a weekly basis. I hate doing it because I nicked him about the third time I did it and, OMG it bled. It was awful. He's better about it now. He'll even bring me the clippers when he thinks he needs it, but I'm still skittish.
Tags:cutting nails
Reply Up