Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dream Interview, but Dilemma
AfterSchoolMom 07:26 AM 01-21-2011
Ok, so I just met with the most perfect family - great little one, they actually thought my rates were too LOW and offered MORE money, etc. It'd be full time.

Here's my dillemma - I JUST started with a new family, and the main reason they picked me was because I didn't have any other littles here. They're great in every way; however, they're only part time.

What do I do? Should I ask the first family their feelings on my adding a second DCK so soon after they started w/ me? Should I just do it and see what happens? Or should I term family #1?
SilverSabre25 07:29 AM 01-21-2011
I would tell family #1 that you are getting a (full-time, I assume?) little one and leave it up to them what to do. Play it up--"Oh, we're so excited that we're getting a new friend to play with! S/he starts on [date]!"

They have to realize that you're not a nanny and if they want one-to-one care, they're going to have to use a nanny, not a home daycare provider.

How many littles are you ultimately hoping to take on? Did Family #1 know from the start that more littles were a possibility?
AfterSchoolMom 07:31 AM 01-21-2011
No, actually - I played up the angle that I didn't have any others here, so I offered one on one attention. The bad part about it is, they'll have only been here about five times by the time that the new family would start. I felt really confident in doing that because I've been advertising for MONTHS and haven't had anything pan out. Now I've got kids coming out of the woodwork!
jen 07:37 AM 01-21-2011
I would take the family...

I'd present it as a new playmate. If they say anything about being disappointed I would say something like:

Yes, I realize that during the interview process, your child was the only "little" in care and that was a selling point for you. However, I really feel like this is a great fit for our group. I believe (insert baby name here) will benefit enourmously by having another child here close in age to socialize with, and I am completely confident in my ability to provide both children with plenty of love and attention.

Then say nothing...wait for them to react.
marniewon 07:51 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by jen:

I'd present it as a new playmate. If they say anything about being disappointed I would say something like:

Yes, I realize that during the interview process, your child was the only "little" in care and that was a selling point for you. However, I really feel like this is a great fit for our group. I believe (insert baby name here) will benefit enourmously by having another child here close in age to socialize with, and I am completely confident in my ability to provide both children with plenty of love and attention.

I like this. They certainly knew (no matter what the circumstances at the moment) that you would get more kids. Like someone else said, if they truly wanted one-on-one care they need a nanny, not a home daycare.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by jen:

yes...i like this solution!
mac60 08:14 AM 01-21-2011
Personally, it is none of their business if you care for 1 child or 4. It is your business, and unless that are paying you a 1 on 1 nanny wage, well then you have the right to call the shots. And they had to assume at some point you would expand. A potential parent asking me how how many children are in my care goes right at the top of that list of none of your business questions just as if I asked the parent how many hours do you work and what is your wage. I was always taught that some personal questions are just that...personal. When I am asked that question, I simply say it varies day by day due to the different schedules of the families. I can just see parents.....ah She has 4 kids at $135 per week and she makes ***x amount of dollars....None of their business as long as I am going by the regs.
I like the suggestions of the above.
laundrymom 08:56 AM 01-21-2011
Take them. If they say anything get all smiley and say yes isn't it great ???? A wonderful little group we are forming. I interview for months to find friends that mesh with our little family. I don't just accept everyone. We are going to have so much fun. If "your" family childcare home. Isn't what they need then they can move on. Mold and shape your business into what YOU want. Let the rest just happen.
SandeeAR 09:09 AM 01-21-2011
Are they only going to have the one child? Never anymore kids? If they plan other kids, how are "They" going to give only one on one attention to the kid?
MarinaVanessa 09:32 AM 01-21-2011
I agree with everyone that says that you should take the new child. It worse comes to worse the family that you have now will choose to leave but you will still end up earning more money in the end right? I like how someone else put it in another thread about how if your boss offered you two jobs and one offered more money which would you choose?
jenh171 05:10 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Ok, so I just met with the most perfect family - great little one, they actually thought my rates were too LOW and offered MORE money, etc. It'd be full time.

Here's my dillemma - I JUST started with a new family, and the main reason they picked me was because I didn't have any other littles here. They're great in every way; however, they're only part time.

What do I do? Should I ask the first family their feelings on my adding a second DCK so soon after they started w/ me? Should I just do it and see what happens? Or should I term family #1?
contrive a way to have dream family persuade first family that your rates are too low and you really should be paid more. then, keep both families.
Abigail 11:21 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

Are they actually willing to pay more or was it just a nice gesture? I would make sure you have a reason to justify why they pay more than others because you never know if it's a receipe for disaster when they take you to court one day and decide you overcharged them, LOL...just saying it's unusual. I wouldn't take the higher pay, but I would conveniently "increase rates to reflect the increase in daycare operating expenses" LOL
AfterSchoolMom 04:52 AM 01-24-2011
I just wanted to post an update!

I talked to family #1 and told them the situation, and they thanked me for giving them a heads up, but they're perfectly fine with the other child.

Family #2 starts in two weeks.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!
missnikki 06:39 AM 01-24-2011
Congratulations on putting it all together!
SilverSabre25 06:53 AM 01-24-2011
Yay! Glad it's working for you!
MarinaVanessa 07:53 AM 01-24-2011
Awsome! Don't you just love it when it all works out? I think we are all so used to having DCP's complain and be difficult that we almost expect them to do it and are surprised when they go with the flow . Too bad it's not the other way around.
MNmamaOf4 09:12 AM 01-24-2011
Sorry I thought I was starting a new post!
AfterSchoolMom 09:20 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Awsome! Don't you just love it when it all works out? I think we are all so used to having DCP's complain and be difficult that we almost expect them to do it and are surprised when they go with the flow . Too bad it's not the other way around.
Yes, exactly! I'm always expecting the worst. I guess that's not a good thing to do, but it always makes it that much better when things go well.
Tags:interview, new family
Reply Up