Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Problem Child at it Again Today....
sahm2three 10:39 AM 07-06-2010
I hate even calling him that, but if there is a problem in the house, it usually stems from him. We were playing hide and seek today with a sound machine. It is a small portable sound machine that requires batteries. A team (older child and younger child) would hide it and then the others would have to follow the sound to find it. Well, the child I have issues with thought he found it first (he and another child found it around the same time) and so he grabbed the sound machine from the other child and THREW it at him!! Broke it. So, once again he was in time out until he calmed down (ended up being about 20 minutes) and then we talked and I have him sorting beads. He seems to be doing well with it. But I am going to need a long term solution. Do I just not allow him to interact with the other kids? Just have jobs and activities for him? Mom and I are going to have a discussion again tonight. I am worn out, and also feel for him, because after he calms down and we talk, he really is a very sweet boy. He just can't or doesn't know how to control himself. Has severe impulse control issues. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
MarinaVanessa 10:58 AM 07-06-2010
How old is he again? If you don't already have it in your policies you may want to ask for a replacement or reimbursement for the sound machine since it was thrown on purpose and broken. For whatever reason parents with difficult children that like throwing things and hurting others seem to really step it up when their child affects their checkbooks. Sad but in my experiences it's true.
sahm2three 11:58 AM 07-06-2010
He is 6. And I have it in my handbook already. I already printed another handbook and highlighted it for her if she argues with me. I have him lying down for a nap, which I normally have him just doing something quietly. I don't know whether he is just tired from the weekends festivities or what, but he has been a real challenge today.
Crystal 12:03 PM 07-06-2010
I agree with MV....I'd have the parent pay for the toy....if he were 2, I wouldn't, but at 6 he understnds cause and effect, so he knowsthat throwing it will break it, and he also knows he could have really hurt the other kid by throwing it at him.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 07-07-2010
Is this child ADHD? From what it sounds like he is he sounds like my Son who can be impulsive, agressive, angery, out of control and he is ADHD. Has Mom had him checked out by psychiatrist, therpaist, or family doctor yet? I think I read on of your post before and asked the same thing but not sure. If he is ADHD I can give you lots of tips on how to deal with situation like this bless your heart for not giving up on this little boy as to many teachers, providers, society give up on these type of kids.
Crystal 12:05 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is this child ADHD? From what it sounds like he is he sounds like my Son who can be impulsive, agressive, angery, out of control and he is ADHD. Has Mom had him checked out by psychiatrist, therpaist, or family doctor yet? I think I read on of your post before and asked the same thing but not sure. If he is ADHD I can give you lots of tips on how to deal with situation like this bless your heart for not giving up on this little boy as to many teachers, providers, society give up on these type of kids.
Thanks for that....ITA!
Janet 12:21 PM 07-07-2010
This little boy seems like a train wreck! I always feel really bad for the kids who have the type of behavior that the 6yo dcb has because it's all too often more than just ADHD. I have it and my daughter does too, but neither one of us has acted out that way. Is the dcb violent with others? Does he show any regard for others? What are the parents like? The dcb could be showing signs of a conduct disorder or oppositional-defiant disorder. They both have comorbidity with ADHD. ADHD could be just the tip of the iceberg
sahm2three 12:32 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
This little boy seems like a train wreck! I always feel really bad for the kids who have the type of behavior that the 6yo dcb has because it's all too often more than just ADHD. I have it and my daughter does too, but neither one of us has acted out that way. Is the dcb violent with others? Does he show any regard for others? What are the parents like? The dcb could be showing signs of a conduct disorder or oppositional-defiant disorder. They both have comorbidity with ADHD. ADHD could be just the tip of the iceberg
He has ODD too. I am not very familiar with it and need to take some time to do some research. It is super frustrating for me, and I am sure for him too!
Tags:6 years old, problem child
Reply Up