Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare
marylmr 03:14 PM 01-25-2010
Do not let the State scare you with their anger talk. As long as you love the children - spend quality time with them - thats all that matters. What can they throw you in jail for? Oh you make MONEY!!? Seriously that's what this world is boiling down too - who makes the most money..

And reading topics before mine - unlicensed daycare is just as better as a licensed daycare?.. Yes I agree! I watch the news every day & hear licensed daycares having their licensed revoke due to neglecting child(s) - physical abuse and so on. I'll tell you this - back in the 1970's before the law past that anyone oroviding care for more than two families are required to be licensed!. WELL watching the news everyday for number of years, I see more & more children being sexually, physically & emotionally abused in a licensed daycare. So in another words - back in the years before the law past to be licensed, children were better off in a private home daycare.Being a licensed daycare is STRESSFUL because they're so many strict regulations & the more money you make - the more taxes you have to pay back to the government! And with a license certificate - the state can come to your home anytime they want & you are not allow to lock them out or you'll have your license revoked.

Being a license family home provider - you have to run the daycare the way the state wants you too. I'm not talking about spanking a child because that is ABUSE!. I'm talking about semi-structure - close to running a preschool some what.Being licensed with the State - The State OWNS YOUR HOME & has access to your home anytime..So with the State being all over you and owning you - it does make it hard to be licensed & its not fair to the children to fear you,(that your nervous). As a mother myself to four beautiful children - a granddaughter, I do not have a record of being a child abuser. I have a CPR certificate in children and adult. I know how to raise children properly. So many, many family home licensed daycares are opening everyday & alot of those licensed daycares are getting their licensed revoked everyday! Your better off running a private home daycare.

I was licensed once and refuse to renew my licensed because it is stressful working with the State and having my family & friends investigated and pissed off about it.The State for one can tell you who can be at your home & who can't. Even when you do not provide weekend Childcare - the State still tells you who can be at your home and who can't. Seriously I do not want anything to do with child abuser or crimmals but when you have your good friends,(like a few of mine that are LPN's investigated by Childcare), I get disturbing phone calls from my friends,questioning why I had to have them investigated by Childcare? So I told my friends that I'm not getting licensed again after my licensed is due for renewal..What a embarraassment to me and my friends.Having to give the State of childcare my family/friends their social security number/age/birth date/complete home adress & place employment. YES the State does own you/your home and you do not have no privacy.The State is your BOSS & you have no control over them.Talk about invasion of privacy to you and your friends. If you suspect your being investigated because your running a daycare - don't fear because your nothing comparing to those licensed daycares that are being shut down everyday!. My yard is protected with safe equipments & I have been running a private daycare for years. Parents that have their children in my daycare prefer a unlicensed daycare anyways and refuse to talk to the state because they know they're out to look for trouble..I except checks to and have cashed them for years. What the State doesn't find - you'll be alright. Like I said - it's all money talk and bull**** walks.

I mention above - I watch the news everyday,(read the newspaper where the Stare has revoked daycares and were cited into court where the Daycares have got their licensed back).YES the state HAS revoked daycares for wrong reasons and have lost court cases and had to give the daycare providers their licensed back... Believe it or not, they're SO MANY, MANY in home daycares licensed with no High School dIploma.Any High School drop out can get licensed with the State to run a daycare. So again, your better off to be private. Its less headaches to deal with the State owning your home & you. I have had suspious vechiles watching me & cops coming to my house. Without a warrant, the cops have to leave. And being watch, I have just as much rights to have them leave.Its Stalking & against the law!. Without evidence and being a proud parent and a Daycare parent - thats all it matters. Your fine & I'm still running a private daycare in my home,(have been for years) & I love it!!. Children have their freedom, especially during the summer vacation when school is out. But being licensed with the State - children have less freedom and have to have semi school all year around with no break!. Is that fair to the children?...My daycare children can not wait to come to my home & believe it or not, the kids actually kick their parents out. LOL

They are happy- go lucky kids..By the way - think AGAIN if you want to be licensed by the state to become a daycare provider, because Barack Obama is CUTTING ChildCare cost! Putting your child in a licensed DayCare COST ALOT more money & with ChildCare fundings being cutted, childcare providers will still ask parents to pay more out of their pockets to meet their Childcare cost! BUT with private daycare's, it does cost LESS & I go by the parents income. Parents deserve to have spending money to them self. Why in the world do people work? They need money to live and I help them save by deciding to go private. And with the Children in my care, my child care cost went down & parents are very relief and happy that I do not have the State,(boss breathing over my shoulders 24/7). The ChildCare field investigators can & will investigate ChildCare even with no reasons. Investigate to check up on them, even with no complaints. So do you want to still get licensed?
Unregistered 06:12 PM 01-30-2010
I agree with you more than ever. So how many kids do you think is too much for my private daycare? I have fourkids of my own and two of them are in school all day and haven't had a daycare in my home before. Could use your help.
Unregistered 04:50 PM 02-02-2010
I would also like to know how many children are allowed besides your own. I have a 2 year-old. I also homeschool my 15 year-old, and live in the state of Mississippi. So am I thinking this right, you don't have to have a state license if you keep a certain amount of children in your home? I really didn't want to have to do that either. Wasn't sure I had a choice though. Thanks for your help!

Alyssyn
Carole's Daycare 11:59 AM 02-04-2010
Wow. That isn't just a defense of unlicensed caregiving, but an attack on licensed caregivers and any state or regulatory process involving childcare. Licensed caregivers found /cited in abuse neglect or injury cases make the news, but that's no excuse to bash all licensed caregivers. You hear about more cases of abuse because the media is now willing to talk about it, and law enforcement and social services do a better job of investigating and prosecuting it. Years ago it was kept "private" and not an issue at all in the public forum. In fact, licensed caregivers GET CAUGHT because of that state interference you are complaining about- which protects children, makes the public aware of potential hazards(which hopefully encourages them to be more involved in their child's care) and lets bad providers know they will be caught. Licensing investigates anyone who spends the night or frequents a daycare home during hours for the protection of the children, including my husband ( deputy sheriff) my teenaged honor student, and any friends that have access to the children. If that makes your friends uncomfortable, too bad.

As for the supposed lack of education- I'm certain just as many unlicensed providers were unsuccessful students or non-graduates as licensed ones. The difference is licensed providers are REQUIRED to participate in further training. Many unlicensed providers are educated and provide quality care, and choose to not license for many reasons. There are also some are blithering idiots that I wouldn't let watch my dog. They do not undergo ongoing training, and, since they are unlicensed, are not required to, nor are they "on the radar" so that anyone knows for certain what their qualifications might be. There are licensed providers that aren't terrific also. Hopefully that is changing, as in Minnesota we are implementing QRS (voluntary at the moment)- which is a quality rating program that allows licensed daycares to have independent observers evaluate their program and rate it on different areas. For example- How does the home/environment measure up based on the environmental rating scale? How much education does the provider have? What type of curriculum or educational opportunity is provided? How is parent communication handled. Etc Etc. Families will be able to get more information prior to enrolling children on how the daycare measures up, and choose caregivers that score higher in areas that are more important to them. A parent may not care if they have bulletin boards or newsletters, but really want a place with a lot of dedicated daycare space. Another parent may not consider separate daycare space as important as the providers education and training.

I don't think the "argument" about licensing VS unlicensed care is about whether unlicensed providers can be a good provider. For those of us who license- and I, at least, work in training and on boards related to children's issues, its about safety and consistency and quality- and how much influence and responsibility the state has for ensuring the safety of children in care. In MN over 80% of children under school age are in daycare or preschool programs. Statistics show nationally over 48% of available daycare options ARE NOT GOOD FOR CHILDREN. I promise you there are people who blame the state whenever there is a lack- and if it was totally unregulated and your child was hurt in any daycare, or even if they went to school unprepared, the state would get the blame for not ensuring the safety of a business caring for children. Should childcare providers have fewer requirements than workers caring for our elderly as home care or nursing home workers? Yet they must be licensed, and in fact take and pass a licensing exam, while daycares do not. It really isn't about making life hard for the provider, or the STATE owning your business. It does not require year round preschool, or any curriculum specifically. It requires basic safety and health precautions, and a knowledge and practice of basic quality care in terms of child development and positive discipline. It can be inconvenient- I just had my surprise food program visit this morning. The hope is to find a way to ensure consistent, quality care. No regulatory system can guarantee 100% effectiveness, but the hope is to empower providers to see themselves, and be treated, as professionals, thereby increasing their access to training, grants and professional development, as well as having some oversight as to basic safety and quality.

I respect all of the providers opinions, licensed or not, and have received encouragement, ideas and help from both, so it is not my intent to disparage anyone. I do think the vitriol and animosity towards the state of this original poster, makes me question their motives somewhat. Also, however eloquently they stated their case, it is apparent to me this individual has no business criticizing the education of other providers. Graduate or not I would not have this person as a primary language influence on my child. Also the extreme anti-establishment rhetoric makes me uncomfortable. I'm one of those parents who would choose education and curriculum over other factors. That's just how I am. I try hard to balance what I know they need to learn, and what I know they need for healthy emotional, psychological and social development, which is why I run a home daycare instead of a more institutional center. Another person may be uncomfortable with a childcare run by a geek that focuses on education- preferring a more laissez fare approach. Ultimately the amount of state influence over any business is always up for debate, but the unfortunately as the world changes and the cost of education goes up, and early childhood education is more and more a factor in long term success, there will be ongoing expectations of ensuring quality in the family daycare home.
Unregistered 08:23 AM 01-11-2013
Bravo!!! I agree 100%
I was licensed through the state and had my license suspended.....why? I was falsely accused of bein on drugs I had 3 different drug test performed and all three came back clean however DHS can't be prevent wrong. I have a case against them not because I want my license back but to clear my name. I Ryan a private daycare and I can finally breathe again and the children have the freedom to be children. My advise is to not get license. My son had to get rid of his lizards he had had for years because the state said no. They tell you and your family members what they can or can't do. I understand them wanting to know who lives in the home so I provide all that for my new parents now with background checks. Oh and if they want they can come in and take your own kids from you if they feel like it. Keep the state out of your house because you will never have a home.
Springdaze 08:37 AM 01-11-2013
I know this is old, but in a way I agree. I am licensed, my state gives no benefits to being licensed by way of allowing you to have more kids if you are. I do it because it is really the only way a parent can hope that you are qualified. I know it doesnt take much to be licensed, but at least you have to have a background check and such. If I didnt have to, I probably wouldnt but I feel that it "looks better" to a parent who doesnt know me from the next person.
Unregistered 10:42 PM 01-20-2013
Hi I would like to help parent out whit there daycare fees can some tell me if I was going to charge a parent by there income how would I charge them and what should be included
mbullette 11:07 AM 01-21-2013
I am not sure what state you are in but in Wisconsin if you are not licensed you can have 3 kids plus your own.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 01-28-2013
To me my view is to each his own.
The following is why I just dropped from being a Licensed Family Child Care Center (that's what they call it now a center), that is being forced maintain the same rules that a regular Day Care Center that has multiple employees does. The paperwork is outragious, the background checks now have to be done quarterly for myself and yearly for each member of my family. I have never even had anything on my record. The Licensers that are being sent to each establishment all have their own / interpretation of the Day Care Rules.
I have been providing daycare for over 33 years, my first 20 years I had no idea there was such a thing as being Licensed. At that time I would have up to 12 children including my own 2 boys. My Idea, still to this day is, I want my Family daycare to be "family" based. The children came and still do come and become one of my extended family, never treated any different. We went/go for walks, we made meals and snacks together, we drove to school and such if weather was bad outside. I just installed a child safety alarm in my van that my husband and I didn't want to have to deal with turning off when by ourselves shopping etc., but that was a MAJOR part of my daycare, I actually was becoming depressed in the loss of my idea of daycare. I have always been a semi-structured, learn while playing, learning how to get along in a setting with other kids. My kids have always sang the ABC's while washing their hands, we have always had calender time. My daycare!!! It was the right decision for me!!!! Again to each his own. Just love the children with all your heart!!!!!
Unregistered 10:36 AM 10-23-2013
I am unlicensed and actually had planned to get licensed my first year. But the parents I have been providing care for do not support it. They don't want the state in their business or mine. I live in IL. Two of the parents I have as clients have jobs that you would think they would be more supportive of the state. One is a cook county detective and the other is a lieutenant for the fire department. They both believe the state does anything for money and prefer their children in a privately run home daycare. I'm not against licensed home daycares at all. But I think some people have a point about the state being too involved in our homes and lives.
Unregistered 05:38 PM 02-11-2014
Seriously? I live in IL and have never had any problems with licensing. It's a lot of work, but what business owner doesn't have a lot on their plate? I honestly feel like a licensed home daycare looks better. I actually think they should raise the standards to become and stay licensed! If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?
Imagination's Creations 05:40 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Seriously? I live in IL and have never had any problems with licensing. It's a lot of work, but what business owner doesn't have a lot on their plate? I honestly feel like a licensed home daycare looks better. I actually think they should raise the standards to become and stay licensed! If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?
Whoops! I wasnt logged in!

ReniaS 09:29 PM 04-07-2014
I am currently a licensed provider and after 20 years of no complaints social service has me under probation because my daughter-in-law and her child and 2 kids she watches comes to my house to do group activities, storytime crafts ect. Social Service says her kids count in my license when they are present even though they have an adult there responsible for them. I was told it may be silly to not allow 2 people with 9 kids versus 1 with 6 but they don't care it's the rules. I was told I cannot have any visitors period. Now they have come back 3 times in the last month and when I had my normal numbers the social worker said "Well then. let's do another walk-through" and proceeded to write me up for violations such as a baby falling asleep in my swing and me not moving her to a crib and that was only about a 3-4 minute span. I have ran an impeccable childcare for 20 years and now feel like I am being bullied and forced out. What are my rights can anyone tell me?
NoMoreJuice! 04:38 AM 04-08-2014
I am seriously annoyed at anyone who chooses not to follow the rules. In Kansas, it is illegal to watch more than 2 children unrelated to you more than 20 hours a week. On my street alone, there are three unlicensed daycare homes that I know of. It is not that difficult to do the right thing and be licensed, UNLESS you have something to hide. Yes, the state can be a pain, but if you are an honest human being, you shouldn't have a problem with them. By the way, in KS you do have to hold a high school diploma to operate a licensed daycare.

Several of the posts in this thread make me very suspicious. What are you doing watching other people's children when the parents don't even want the state to get involved?

I've been falsely accused of things before, that's just the nature of doing business with the public. But I am damn sure going to comply with all state rules because, for the most part, they are for the SAFETY of the children in my care. Why on earth would parents trust someone who is never inspected, doesn't have to follow any safety rules, and has no accountability as to the quality of care they provide?

OF COURSE you're going to hear of abuse and neglect in licensed daycare....because they're the ones who are CAUGHT. Are you aware of how many unlicensed daycare home providers abuse and neglect children without ever being caught? It is totally unreasonable to think that licensed providers are the only ones just because you see it on the news.

I will always fight to turn in unlicensed providers, and not only because they are attacking my business. It is for the safety and well being of the kids.
MommaB3 06:20 AM 04-08-2014
I have been both a licensed and unlicensed home provider. When I was licensed I felt everyone should be licensed or be shut down because I felt if I had to follow certain standards then everyone should. Currently I am not licensed. I run the same daycare that I did when I was licensed just without the license.

The biggest reason I didn't want to be licensed anymore was due to being told the things I needed to do to my home. This is my HOME, yes I run a business out of it. The children are safe here. I raised my kids here. I'm not going to have anything that would be unsafe for a child. I still have my CPR certification and do ongoing trainings. I have a degree in ECE. I totally understand all the rules for a center. That is a business that is run at a business not someone's home. I just feel some of the things that they require for a home provider is ridiculous. I don't want my home to look like a daycare center anymore than it already does. If that makes me a bad provider then I guess I am.
NightOwl 06:26 AM 04-08-2014
This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read. I also turn in unlicensed providers. And who is she to talk about not having an education when she apparently doesn't herself? Her grammar is deplorable. I hope someone can find out who this person is and put her out of "business". There is definitely something wrong if parents seek out unlicensed providers. They must have something to hide, just like the provider. I have way more pride in my work than to be unlicensed. And I'm sure she's also uninsured. A real winner.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 04-08-2014
OLD thread... 2010

The info may still be relevant but I doubt any of the unregistered posters have returned.

In response to the newest unregistered poster.... following the state rules is something you agreed to do when you applied for and received a license.

It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which rules you follow and don't follow. If the state says you cannot have visitors when you are working, then you can't have visitors while working. Just like any other job!

Also the fact that you KNOW you aren't suppose to allow an infant to sleep in a swing and did and are complaining about the fact that you got written up for it verses acknowledging that you deserved the citation (because you did) says that it is a good thing that the state has been visiting you.

I read updates from my state DHS website every.single day about citations given to providers who don't follow SUID guidelines and safe sleep practices (even after taking regular trainings) and it literally makes me sick that so many providers take a KNOWN risk with someone else's child!

Then when it ends badly, we all look bad.

My advice to you is stop complaining about what you can't do and do what you are suppose to do and that is care for the children in your care. Visit with your daughter-in-law and grand children on YOUR time, not time your clients are paying you to care for their child according to the state's guidelines.

I don't mean to sound so harsh but I'm tired of reading about dead babies because provider's think they should be able to do whatever they want in their homes without understanding or recognizing that you agreed to follow these rules when you applied for your license.

Originally Posted by ReniaS:
I am currently a licensed provider and after 20 years of no complaints social service has me under probation because my daughter-in-law and her child and 2 kids she watches comes to my house to do group activities, storytime crafts ect. Social Service says her kids count in my license when they are present even though they have an adult there responsible for them. I was told it may be silly to not allow 2 people with 9 kids versus 1 with 6 but they don't care it's the rules. I was told I cannot have any visitors period. Now they have come back 3 times in the last month and when I had my normal numbers the social worker said "Well then. let's do another walk-through" and proceeded to write me up for violations such as a baby falling asleep in my swing and me not moving her to a crib and that was only about a 3-4 minute span. I have ran an impeccable childcare for 20 years and now feel like I am being bullied and forced out. What are my rights can anyone tell me?

Michelle 06:32 AM 04-08-2014
a licensed daycare is good for everyone
it protects kids, gives parents some peace of mind, keeps providers on their toes, and is the only situation I would ever place my own kid if I had to put my kids in daycare.
Not every daycare is perfect (licensed or unlicensed) but the rules are in place so that kids are safe.

MarinaVanessa 07:24 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OLD thread... 2010

The info may still be relevant but I doubt any of the unregistered posters have returned.

In response to the newest unregistered poster.... following the state rules is something you agreed to do when you applied for and received a license.

It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which rules you follow and don't follow. If the state says you cannot have visitors when you are working, then you can't have visitors while working. Just like any other job!

Also the fact that you KNOW you aren't suppose to allow an infant to sleep in a swing and did and are complaining about the fact that you got written up for it verses acknowledging that you deserved the citation (because you did) says that it is a good thing that the state has been visiting you.

I read updates from my state DHS website every.single day about citations given to providers who don't follow SUID guidelines and safe sleep practices (even after taking regular trainings) and it literally makes me sick that so many providers take a KNOWN risk with someone else's child!

My advice to you is stop complaining about what you can't do and do what you are suppose to do and that is care for the children in your care. Visit with your daughter-in-law and grand children on YOUR time, not time your clients are paying you to care for their child according to the state's guidelines.

I don't mean to sound so harsh but I'm tired of reading about dead babies because provider's think they should be able to do whatever they want in their homes without understanding or recognizing that you agreed to follow these rules when you applied for your license.
Thank you BC. I couldn't have said it better.
Starburst 09:15 AM 04-08-2014
For the record, I have heard of both licensed and unlicensed providers scandals. Does that mean that all licensed daycares are bad? No. Does that mean all unlicensed daycares are bad? No. The reason why licensed is more reported is because the licensing agency usually does unannounced drop-ins and they get caught; that doesn't necessarily mean that unlicensed daycares never harm children. Ever heard of the movie Unspeakable Acts (1990)? It's based on a true event in the 1980s where a couple ran an unlicensed daycare; and the wife was actually still considered minor at the time (17; but she told the parents she was 23). They allegedly sexually abused children and even preformed satanic rituals (such as animal sacrifices and chanting demonic curses) in front of the children. No one had a clue until one of the older children finally spoke up and told his parents about something he saw her doing. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/198...buse-probation. In my Child, Family, And Community class the teacher told us about 2 women from a near by city that ran an unlicensed daycare in a small 1 bedroom apartment, they had 22 infants (even with a large FCC licence in this state you can't have more than 3 or 4 under 2 and a minimum of 35 sq per child inside is required). Infant care is really hard to find and it is a low income city (poor, desperate, and most likely uneducated/uninformed parents; maybe even some without papers trying to hide out). They only charged $10 a day ($10 x 5= $50/week and $50 x 22=$1100/week). They had all the children in high chairs (which they were pretty much placed in all day) that were lined up side by side set in front of TVs and would just go down the line to feed them or change them every so often. Yes, they weren't purposely abusing the children and were providing a much needed service and just 'making money', but at the expense of the children not getting the attention or even interactions that they need and deserve.

At the state I am currently in, you can only watch for one family other than your own without a license. At the state I am moving to, the rule is up to 3 children at a time from different families; not including your own. I have considered lately trying to see if I can watch a few children with in that legal limit while I am in the process of getting licensed, but I wouldn't just let a DC parent 'talk me out of getting licensed' because they are only going to be there for a few years at most; I would be the one who has to live with the choice for the rest of my career/life. I want my business to be up to my standards and want to do everything in my power to make me feel 'official' and accomplished and that includes getting licensed. Yes, it may just be a piece of paper to some (that's also what my ex-fiance said about getting married); but it's what it stands for that gives me the confidence of a professional business owner, just as any other business would require some type of business license.

Plus, I went to an FCC orientation meeting when I went out of state for my spring break and found at they offer some grants and other incentives for becoming a registered/ certified home care, joining the quality care program (available only after being a registered provider for 2 years), and even acquiring a certain level of education and/or continuing your education. At first I was nervous about getting licensed, now I'm excited! I see my business as my baby and just like the babies I would care for, I want it to thrive to it's full potential.
Vanessa_in_Babyland 01:36 PM 06-19-2014
After reading these posts there is so much great information and a lot to think about. Now, you can be unlicensed and be compliant…. Correct. For example, if your state allows you to care for up to four children ect. ect. If you are compliant and not breaking the law then how about doing volunteer inspections or taking classes on health and children's safety? I know I've heard your responses but I STILL don't see why everyone should be licensed. I see why it might make your quality better, but....I am coming from a Montessori school background and I think the parents are already seeing quality from my services. If I volunteer and continue my personal education would you say that is a great start. If I suddenly want to teach 6 kiddos then that seems like it's time to get licensed. Just thinking out loud here....thoughts?!?
LysesKids 05:10 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Vanessa_in_Babyland:
After reading these posts there is so much great information and a lot to think about. Now, you can be unlicensed and be compliant…. Correct. For example, if your state allows you to care for up to four children ect. ect. If you are compliant and not breaking the law then how about doing volunteer inspections or taking classes on health and children's safety? I know I've heard your responses but I STILL don't see why everyone should be licensed. I see why it might make your quality better, but....I am coming from a Montessori school background and I think the parents are already seeing quality from my services. If I volunteer and continue my personal education would you say that is a great start. If I suddenly want to teach 6 kiddos then that seems like it's time to get licensed. Just thinking out loud here....thoughts?!?
Yes, it's called being legally, license exempt… I am in a state that also allows up to 4 unrelated; and for the record I have done licensed, registered and license exempt care in a total of 6 states over 14 years and have classes out the ying yang under my belt, plus I have an A.A .S in Criminal Law & am a Postpartum Doula.

TN no longer offers registration for 4 or less kids… it's either license exempt or licensed… can't get licensed with 4 kids for one reason (BTW, my house is only 6 months old literally) - because its 784 sq ft instead of a doublewide over 1000 sq ft… I passed bacgkround and all that, but they said my house, even having the required indoor space & outdoor gated off play area, does not qualify.

I also do infant Montessori and will never have more than 4 babies under 2 years old… are they kidding? And yes, I can take the subsidy just as I did in MO as a registered provider, I just don't get as much as licensed people.
Unregistered 09:23 PM 09-15-2014
I have been in business for almost 15 years. Not all of them licensed. In my state it's about having things done to your house for approval. It took me 5 years before I could afford a house of my own which i could get licensed. Before i rented where many landlords didn't wan me to license the home because they feared the state coming in to tell them what is wrong with the house or feared being sued because a child died in the house. All of which is crazy and laws do protect the landlords form that happening.
I honestly have to say that I didn't always follow the rules. There is no way I can pay my bills on just a few dcks. I loved being licensed. I lost my house because my husband lost his job and I couldn't charge much being that too many daycares where spouting up after the many layoffs in my state. Once you move, the license is canceled. i'm trying to buy a home again but lenders need me to make triple what I actually do inorder to qualify for a home big enough to hold a decent daycare. I once closed my daycare so I could work. My first check was a 3rd of what I make in a weeks pay with daycare. My current landlord doesn't want me to get licensed, raised my rent, and is giving me 6 months to move because she wants to use the house for a 24 hour daycare. So yes, I have to break the rules. There is no way i can afford to do anything charging competing prices and keep only a handful of dcks. The parents i currently have, don't care about me being licensed anyway. ass long as i take good care of their children. i will become licensed again once I save enough money to move into my own house that i can freely license.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 09-16-2014
I have been in business for almost 15 years. Not all of them licensed. In my state it's about having things done to your house for approval. It took me 5 years before I could afford a house of my own which i could get licensed. Before i rented where many landlords didn't wan me to license the home because they feared the state coming in to tell them what is wrong with the house or feared being sued because a child died in the house. All of which is crazy and laws do protect the landlords form that happening.
I honestly have to say that I didn't always follow the rules. There is no way I can pay my bills on just a few dcks. I loved being licensed. I lost my house because my husband lost his job and I couldn't charge much being that too many daycares where spouting up after the many layoffs in my state. Once you move, the license is canceled. i'm trying to buy a home again but lenders need me to make triple what I actually do inorder to qualify for a home big enough to hold a decent daycare. I once closed my daycare so I could work. My first check was a 3rd of what I make in a weeks pay with daycare. My current landlord doesn't want me to get licensed, raised my rent, and is giving me 6 months to move because she wants to use the house for a 24 hour daycare. So yes, I have to break the rules. There is no way i can afford to do anything charging competing prices and keep only a handful of dcks. The parents i currently have, don't care about me being licensed anyway. ass long as i take good care of their children. i will become licensed again once I save enough money to move into my own house that i can freely license.

Seriously? There is NEVER a good reason to break rules/laws.

If you don't like them or feel they are unfair than fight to change them but making an excuse to justify your reason for breaking the rules only makes you sound worse.

NONE of the excuses you used are valid reasons for breaking rules.

It's providers like you that make us all look bad.
LysesKids 09:14 AM 09-16-2014

Seriously? There is NEVER a good reason to break rules/laws.

If you don't like them or feel they are unfair than fight to change them but making an excuse to justify your reason for breaking the rules only makes you sound worse.

NONE of the excuses you used are valid reasons for breaking rules.

It's providers like you that make us all look bad.
THIS is so spot on... it's because of the rule breakers that many areas are starting to tighten the screws on everyone.
Unregistered 09:26 PM 12-29-2016
This thread is helpful. It gives me a lot of things to think about! One of the question I have in mind is how unlicensed child care declare their income?
daycarediva 09:43 AM 12-30-2016
This thread is helpful. It gives me a lot of things to think about! One of the question I have in mind is how unlicensed child care declare their income?
Most of the time they do not declare their income. Which is illegal, so on top of a person breaking the law, they could (SHOULD) be charged with tax evasion.

TO PARENTS READING NOW OR IN THE FUTURE: If your daycare tells you that you can't claim it on your taxes- they are operating ILLEGALLY. Give them a W-10 and they are REQUIRED to fill it out. If they refuse to do so, there are directions on the W-10 on how to file and claim it regardless, and how to report the provider for operating illegally. Keep track of your daycare expenses yourself.

I am getting a LOT of calls from parents seeking childcare because their daycare is saying "Oh sorry, you can't claim it with me."

If a person is lying to the IRS, and evading taxes AND/OR running an illegal business, I question their integrity and wouldn't want them watching my children.

It doesn't MATTER if you AGREE with the laws, you are still required to follow them.
LysesKids 10:01 AM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Most of the time they do not declare their income. Which is illegal, so on top of a person breaking the law, they could (SHOULD) be charged with tax evasion.

TO PARENTS READING NOW OR IN THE FUTURE: If your daycare tells you that you can't claim it on your taxes- they are operating ILLEGALLY. Give them a W-10 and they are REQUIRED to fill it out. If they refuse to do so, there are directions on the W-10 on how to file and claim it regardless, and how to report the provider for operating illegally. Keep track of your daycare expenses yourself.

I am getting a LOT of calls from parents seeking childcare because their daycare is saying "Oh sorry, you can't claim it with me."

If a person is lying to the IRS, and evading taxes AND/OR running an illegal business, I question their integrity and wouldn't want them watching my children.

It doesn't MATTER if you AGREE with the laws, you are still required to follow them.
No offense but all of the legally unlicensed childcares I know, including myself, DO claim wages & pay taxes, we do not work under the table as you state so please don't lump all unlicensed providers together because we are not all illegal; I have paid taxes on all my businesses for 30 years - here in TN I can run legally licensed exempt and I claim my income & my parents still claim the childcare credit.
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 12-30-2016
Illegal, Registered, Legally Unlicensed, Licensed and License Exempt are five different things.

Private has nothing to do with legal status.

Private, non-profit and public childcare/education programs must all comply with the laws governing them.

It isn't personal, just business.
daycarediva 12:14 PM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
No offense but all of the legally unlicensed childcares I know, including myself, DO claim wages & pay taxes, we do not work under the table as you state so please don't lump all unlicensed providers together because we are not all illegal; I have paid taxes on all my businesses for 30 years - here in TN I can run legally licensed exempt and I claim my income & my parents still claim the childcare credit.
I was replying to how they claim the income on an illegal number of children.

If you operate legally, great.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:57 PM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I think you are referring to illegally unlicensed (over ratio) as probably not claiming income.

As for a legally unlicensed daycare, we do the same as a licensed daycare and claim our income as self employed business owners (schedule C on your taxes). You can still deduct expenses and do your taxes just as any other business, because you are still a legal business, just not licensed (by choice).
Unregistered 02:00 PM 12-30-2016
I agree licensing can be annoying and petty. Some things i needed to correct before getting my license I was like really? Lol. Some of the rules are ridiculous. My mom did in home daycare and was harrassed by her worker for years. She wrote my mom up for not opening the door for her, but then when she did she got written up again for opening the door which caused her to be away from the children. Stuff like that. License workers also interpret the rule the way they want to.
With that being said though, i would not do daycare unlicensed. Parents look for the word licensed and brings you more business. And the fear of getting caught lol.
Unregistered 02:05 PM 12-30-2016
I dont agree with the amount of training required every year AND the fact that we cant do it online. I put in 12 hr days when do i have time to train? Besides things like CPR, First Aid, AHT and SUID why do we NEED more training???? I have a degree in early Child Development!
LysesKids 02:15 PM 12-30-2016
I agree licensing can be annoying and petty. Some things i needed to correct before getting my license I was like really? Lol. Some of the rules are ridiculous. My mom did in home daycare and was harrassed by her worker for years. She wrote my mom up for not opening the door for her, but then when she did she got written up again for opening the door which caused her to be away from the children. Stuff like that. License workers also interpret the rule the way they want to.
With that being said though, i would not do daycare unlicensed. Parents look for the word licensed and brings you more business. And the fear of getting caught lol.
Here in TN being licensed will not allow me more children because I do infants only... that said, I still update my CPR/First Aid training when needed and take what relevant classes I can online so I can keep up to date - I have been fully licensed in 4 states, and I still act as a licensed home even though I am legally license exempt now. My parents appreciate that I have contracts and written policies and that I go above and beyond what many others here don't do
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 12-30-2016
What state are you in? I would have some serious issues with how your mother was treated...

I dont agree with the amount of training required every year AND the fact that we cant do it online. I put in 12 hr days when do i have time to train? Besides things like CPR, First Aid, AHT and SUID why do we NEED more training???? I have a degree in early Child Development!
I am in MN and also have a degree (bachelor's in ECE) and am required to take 16 hours of training per year but ALL of the training we are required to take CAN be done on-line on our time with the exception of CPR/First Aid but that's only every other year so not a huge deal. I've logged over 115 hours of training for 2016 alone. ALL done on-line.

I think training requirements in MN are very lax and not at all as stringent as some states are. I think we need MORE training that what the current requirements are but I think the training should be in specific areas verses having to take and retake the same things (such as supervision courses/training and child development courses/training).
Unregistered 02:58 PM 12-30-2016
BC. I am also in MN and in my letter after i got my license it said only 2hrs of training will count towards correspondence courses...
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 12-30-2016
BC. I am also in MN and in my letter after i got my license it said only 2hrs of training will count towards correspondence courses...
Oh... you can now do ALL your trainings through Anytime Time Learning or Eager to Learn. I'll find the update we got a while back (it was when they changed the required number of training hours per year to 16) and post.
Unregistered 03:17 PM 12-30-2016
When was this updated? I received this letter in June. My worker is very hard to reach otherwise i would just ask her. I left her many voicemails in september about something and she never got back to me .
Blackcat31 04:39 PM 12-30-2016
When was this updated? I received this letter in June. My worker is very hard to reach otherwise i would just ask her. I left her many voicemails in september about something and she never got back to me .
This is the new training requirements
http://childcareawaremn.org/sites/de...hure_final.pdf

It talks about accessing training on-line and makes no mention of anything requiring face to face training.

I know I have something though that talks specifically about what can and can't be done on-line. I'll keep searching...
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 12-31-2016
BC, the online training you do....is it just for Mn.? I've taken some online training through Care Courses; I have to space them out because it gets costly. I'd love to find a cheaper source that my state will allow.
Unregistered 05:03 AM 12-31-2016
BC Thanks! Im wondering if the info you have about being able to do all online just applies to your county? Did the new training requirements apply to all counties and does each county have different rules?
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 12-31-2016
BC Thanks! Im wondering if the info you have about being able to do all online just applies to your county? Did the new training requirements apply to all counties and does each county have different rules?
No it's all of MN

You should be able to take everything (other than CPR/First Aid) completely online.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 12-31-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
BC, the online training you do....is it just for Mn.? I've taken some online training through Care Courses; I have to space them out because it gets costly. I'd love to find a cheaper source that my state will allow.
The site I linked is for MN but it's through Child Care Aware which is national so you should contact your local or state one and ask if they too have ATL (Any Time Learning) or ETL (Eager to Learn) courses.

I'll look around and see if I can find where to link you to for info...

I have never used Care Courses so I am unsure of them.
Unregistered 07:36 AM 03-21-2017
How can we fight back against all of this? It's not ok for daycares to be shut down for no reason who! Can help when this happens I need serious answers please and thank you..
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 03-21-2017
How can we fight back against all of this? It's not ok for daycares to be shut down for no reason who! Can help when this happens I need serious answers please and thank you..
Fight back against what?

I am not understanding your post and what it is you are looking for....

This is an older thread so not sure what it is you are referring to when you say "fight back against all of this".
judiann123 07:50 AM 09-16-2017
DESCRIPTION
We are a professional couple looking for a nanny to care for our three children. One is three year old, second one is two and the third one is six months old. You must have at least five years of experience as a nanny, You must love children and be reliable, trustworthy, punctual and well presented. You will be required to work weekdays from 8am – 6pm, with occasional evenings/weekends for which you will be paid overtime. We cannot accommodate if you are a smoker.

Your responsibilities will include:
• Creating a nurturing and stimulating environment
• Meeting the children’s social, emotional and physical needs
• Providing age-appropriate activities
• Doing the children’s laundry
• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Assisting with self-care and hygiene, including diapering
• Potty training
• Disciplining the children, when necessary and in accordance with our parenting principles
• Reading to the children
• Keeping the children’s bedroom and toy room organized and tidy
• Preparing nutritious meals and snacks
• Returning the house to the condition it was in upon arrival
• Instilling good manners and a sense of responsibility
• Taking the children on age-appropriate outings
• Transporting the children to and from activities and appointments
• Accompanying parents to medical appointments
• Traveling with the family.
Requirements
• At least five years of previous nanny experience
• Must have at least ten reviews from your close family and friends on your Callitme profile
• Experience caring for newborns (toddlers, preschoolers, or teens)
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Authorization to legally accept employment in the United States
• Dependable, honest and trustworthy
• Can work independently
• Knowledge of the community and activities available to young children.
getnsmart 06:29 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read. I also turn in unlicensed providers. And who is she to talk about not having an education when she apparently doesn't herself? Her grammar is deplorable. I hope someone can find out who this person is and put her out of "business". There is definitely something wrong if parents seek out unlicensed providers. They must have something to hide, just like the provider. I have way more pride in my work than to be unlicensed. And I'm sure she's also uninsured. A real winner.
I definitely agree, some of those posts are simply ridiculous
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by getnsmart:
I definitely agree, some of those posts are simply ridiculous
This is an old thread.

The post you quoted is from 2014

Always relevant information but old thread none the less
Meeko 12:18 PM 05-09-2019
This post is ancient, but I have read over it a few times. The title makes me roll my eyes.

There are really only two types of daycare. Licensed/registered or legally unlicensed.

Everything else is ILLEGAL.

She calls it "Licensed" or "Private".

Private is not another word for illegal!!! She knows full well she is wrong. She just doesn't like to jump through a few hoops. Few of us actually enjoy the paperwork and inspections etc, but it's part of our job. We don't have to like it. The regs are there to help protect the kids.

We live in a world of rules and regs. That's just life. We don't get to decide which laws we will abide by and which ones we won't.

I don't get much enjoyment out of paying the registration and insurance on my car. So I guess I'd better stop doing it and become a "private" car owner then???....

And any illegal provider who has the gall to complain when a parent doesn't follow HER rules...needs to look in the mirror.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
This post is ancient, but I have read over it a few times. The title makes me roll my eyes.

There are really only two types of daycare. Licensed/registered or legally unlicensed.

Everything else is ILLEGAL.

She calls it "Licensed" or "Private".

Private is not another word for illegal!!! She knows full well she is wrong. She just doesn't like to jump through a few hoops. Few of us actually enjoy the paperwork and inspections etc, but it's part of our job. We don't have to like it. The regs are there to help protect the kids.

We live in a world of rules and regs. That's just life. We don't get to decide which laws we will abide by and which ones we won't.

I don't get much enjoyment out of paying the registration and insurance on my car. So I guess I'd better stop doing it and become a "private" car owner then???....

And any illegal provider who has the gall to complain when a parent doesn't follow HER rules...needs to look in the mirror.
We should have an Post of the Week (like Employee of the Month) because this one would be this weeks featured post for sure!

Great response Meeko!!
Meeko 01:00 PM 05-10-2019
We should have an Post of the Week (like Employee of the Month) because this one would be this weeks featured post for sure!

Great response Meeko!!
Why..thank you! *bows deeply*
Michael 01:42 PM 05-10-2019
Our forum may be old (10 years) but everything is indexed for the world to search (except our private sections). Its a relevant topic and if you search for "Licensed Daycare vs Private Daycare" this thread comes up fourth. Many of our thread Titles with the word "daycare" usually come up first in Google and other searches.
Mike 11:08 AM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by Michael:
Our forum may be old (10 years) but everything is indexed for the world to search (except our private sections). Its a relevant topic and if you search for "Licensed Daycare vs Private Daycare" this thread comes up fourth. Many of our thread Titles with the word "daycare" usually come up first in Google and other searches.
Because it's such an active and informative site, and that's what Google tried to show people searching. I still remember that I was Googling for information on starting a daycare and that's when I found it.
Just Me 05:29 PM 07-30-2019
Look, I’ve been a nanny in other peoples houses for 20 something years. I want to take care of children in my home and have the freedom to have someone...anyone stop by to say hello. I’m also an independent person who doesn’t like to be told how to run my OWN business. I don’t need the state to tell me how to run my house. Period. Obviously running a private daycare is not breaking any rule so I’m not sure what you mean by “not following the rules”. It sounds like you are upset with the competition on your street. I could very ell be wrong...or maybe you have experienced so personal abuse and neglect or know someone who has. I’m sorry for that. But as for me, I want to run a daycare like a home, not with government restrictions. The whole reason some parents want private care is because they are looking for a nice home environment for their children. There is nothing suspicious about that.

That said, it sounds like in KS you only need a high school diploma to run a daycare. That’s scary. Think about how limited the education can be and yet one can still run a daycare and be responsible for someone else’s children. How rounded are the people who haven’t furthered their education or at least taken some childcare classes? I would never hire a person with no actual experience or someone who is not educated enough to teach my children while in their care.

Having said that, I don’t actually quite know what the requirements are for NJ where I live, but I can say I’d be surprised if the only requirement was a high school education. That may explain why only 2 children are allowed in a KS licensed daycare. I know in NJ it’s five or six. And by the way, 2 children is hardly a daycare.

As for the state being for the safety of the children...lol...have you ever worked for the state? I have. And I’m educated enough to know that not everything the state does is in your best interest. You could run an immaculate business and someone might not like you and blow a whistle on something you “allegedly” did and you’re toast.

On another note, I get your suspicions on private daycares. Yes, a lot of children are abused and that’s terrible. And those are the ones we KNOW about. I’m an advocate for children. I love them so much. I used to be a counselor for sexual abuse and domestic violence. I just want to say that not all private daycares (at least none that I know of where I live) are bad. There is a protocol to follow, even for private daycares.

Not all private daycares are bad. In fact, there are some good people in the world...still. I would run mine privately. I don’t need big brother looking over my shoulder. Thank you.

Peace.

Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I am seriously annoyed at anyone who chooses not to follow the rules. In Kansas, it is illegal to watch more than 2 children unrelated to you more than 20 hours a week. On my street alone, there are three unlicensed daycare homes that I know of. It is not that difficult to do the right thing and be licensed, UNLESS you have something to hide. Yes, the state can be a pain, but if you are an honest human being, you shouldn't have a problem with them. By the way, in KS you do have to hold a high school diploma to operate a licensed daycare.

Several of the posts in this thread make me very suspicious. What are you doing watching other people's children when the parents don't even want the state to get involved?

I've been falsely accused of things before, that's just the nature of doing business with the public. But I am damn sure going to comply with all state rules because, for the most part, they are for the SAFETY of the children in my care. Why on earth would parents trust someone who is never inspected, doesn't have to follow any safety rules, and has no accountability as to the quality of care they provide?

OF COURSE you're going to hear of abuse and neglect in licensed daycare....because they're the ones who are CAUGHT. Are you aware of how many unlicensed daycare home providers abuse and neglect children without ever being caught? It is totally unreasonable to think that licensed providers are the only ones just because you see it on the news.

I will always fight to turn in unlicensed providers, and not only because they are attacking my business. It is for the safety and well being of the kids.

Unregistered 05:33 PM 07-30-2019
Where is your location??

Originally Posted by judiann123:
DESCRIPTION
We are a professional couple looking for a nanny to care for our three children. One is three year old, second one is two and the third one is six months old. You must have at least five years of experience as a nanny, You must love children and be reliable, trustworthy, punctual and well presented. You will be required to work weekdays from 8am – 6pm, with occasional evenings/weekends for which you will be paid overtime. We cannot accommodate if you are a smoker.

• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Potty training
• Disciplining the children, when necessary and in accordance with our parenting principles
Requirements
• Must have at least ten reviews from your close family and friends on your Callitme profile
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Can work independently

Unregistered 05:39 PM 07-30-2019
I am new to this forum. I see you are located in the south. Rats. I have nearly 20 years experience with children and am currently with 3 girls and have been with them since their births. They are now turning 5 (twins) and six. My time with them is combing to an end and I am so heartbroken over it. I hope you find the right person. Never compromise when it comes to the care of your children. And pick someone who has strong Christian values. That’s my advice. Take it for what it’s worth.

Originally Posted by judiann123:
DESCRIPTION

• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Potty training
Requirements
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Can work independently

Unregistered 05:47 PM 07-30-2019
Umm...if I recall, she said the child feel asleep in the swing minutes before she was sited. My guess is the distraction of the state worker who came out took away her time from caring for the children. No visitors, right? Even state workers are visitors if they interfere with your care for children. I mean, come on. Do you have children? Ever had a child fall asleep on a swing? At the table eating? On the toilet? Playing with toys? Gimme a break. This is so petty.

OLD thread... 2010

Unregistered 07:35 AM 01-15-2020
Hello. I am in need of a commercial space for my program. Near Atlana.

Thank you
Unregistered 11:04 AM 02-24-2020
Many of us do not view it as being a business owner , we are providing a second home to children ... it’s so much more than a business and we value the family aspect of opening our homes to children !
Unregistered 11:18 AM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Just Me:
Look, I’ve been a nanny in other peoples houses for 20 something years. I want to take care of children in my home and have the freedom to have someone...anyone stop by to say hello. I’m also an independent person who doesn’t like to be told how to run my OWN business. I don’t need the state to tell me how to run my house. Period. Obviously running a private daycare is not breaking any rule so I’m not sure what you mean by “not following the rules”. It sounds like you are upset with the competition on your street. I could very ell be wrong...or maybe you have experienced so personal abuse and neglect or know someone who has. I’m sorry for that. But as for me, I want to run a daycare like a home, not with government restrictions. The whole reason some parents want private care is because they are looking for a nice home environment for their children. There is nothing suspicious about that.

That said, it sounds like in KS you only need a high school diploma to run a daycare. That’s scary. Think about how limited the education can be and yet one can still run a daycare and be responsible for someone else’s children. How rounded are the people who haven’t furthered their education or at least taken some childcare classes? I would never hire a person with no actual experience or someone who is not educated enough to teach my children while in their care.

Having said that, I don’t actually quite know what the requirements are for NJ where I live, but I can say I’d be surprised if the only requirement was a high school education. That may explain why only 2 children are allowed in a KS licensed daycare. I know in NJ it’s five or six. And by the way, 2 children is hardly a daycare.

As for the state being for the safety of the children...lol...have you ever worked for the state? I have. And I’m educated enough to know that not everything the state does is in your best interest. You could run an immaculate business and someone might not like you and blow a whistle on something you “allegedly” did and you’re toast.

On another note, I get your suspicions on private daycares. Yes, a lot of children are abused and that’s terrible. And those are the ones we KNOW about. I’m an advocate for children. I love them so much. I used to be a counselor for sexual abuse and domestic violence. I just want to say that not all private daycares (at least none that I know of where I live) are bad. There is a protocol to follow, even for private daycares.

Not all private daycares are bad. In fact, there are some good people in the world...still. I would run mine privately. I don’t need big brother looking over my shoulder. Thank you.

Peace.
Totally agree with you. Why should we need a license to help a family raise their child? If the parents know we are not licensed and they are fine with it that’s all that should matter. The children are safe happy and well taken care of... that’s what is important . The regulations do not keep the children safe it’s the person caring for them. Do parents need a license to raise their child, do they have their homes inspected by the state? Some parents want a second home atmosphere for their children and they should be allowed to have that with a person of their choosing. There are bad people in every profession , no regulation is going to prevent that.
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 02-24-2020
This is a really old thread (2010) that gets drug up from time to time.

I don't think anyone in 2020 is arguing how lucky those who can still be legally unlicensed are.

There are not many States left. Here you must be licensed if you have more than two kids in care for pay. If not, then you are illegal.

What people have a problem with is illegal providers.

Not unlicensed vs licensed.

But, illegal vs legal.
Tags:2010, exemption, illegal, illegal daycare, illegal providers, legally unlicensed, licensed, licensed vs private daycare, registered vs licensed, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up