Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent's Won't Pay??
Unregistered 06:25 AM 02-08-2008
I just need to throw this out there and see what you guys think...in the past 6 months I have had 2 families where the parent got layed off their jobs and just called and said their child would not be coming to daycare anymore. No notice or anything. I require a 2 week notice. And they will not pay their balances. One parent is really mad about my rule on if your child misses daycare on their scheduled day I still charge 50%, so she refuses to pay her last 2 week bill, although she signed a contract where the rule was stated. The other parent just isn't paying for whatever reason. Both balances are under $100, so I'm not sure it's worth taking them to court. It's just very annoying. How do you guys handle non paying parents? I have been doing daycare for 19 years and have only had to take 1 parent to court. Thanks.
Tammy Buttensworth 09:46 AM 02-08-2008
You should think about a getting a deposit. Secondly, if someone signs a contract then they need to be responsible and abide by it. Put some teeth into it and take them to small claims court. It is worth it. This is a business and you are offering a much needed service. You need to take your emotions out of these and run your business as a business. If someone has a hardship then write it off as a loss or charity but YOU be in control of who deserves it.
Unregistered 10:25 AM 02-08-2008
Thanks so much for replying! I had a feeling that is what was going to be said. My own licenser says I am a softy. I also have the lowest rates in the county. I do let my emotions get the best of me, but I don't like it when I am taken advantage of. I have thought about the deposit thing and I am going to start that from now on. With 2 parents in the last 6 months not paying is enough for me to see that I have to start making some changes in my business. I am also really starting to consider the court thing as 1 parent left in October and has only made 1 payment on her balance and that was months ago.
Thanks again!
!mia-childs! 02:20 PM 02-09-2008
Deposits are a good idea - it also means when someone is a little behind (as happens to us all!) then they aren't actually.
While for less than $100 I wouldn't bother chasing them (my time is worth more than that!) you may want to, and the example may be worth it.

(People who disagree with something they've already agreed to are always trouble )

You're not wrong for thinking people should pay the money they have agreed to. How would they feel if you said "No, I don't feel like caring for little Johnny today - I guess you are stuck"?

hope it helps!
tnmom 04:44 AM 02-19-2008
I get a 2 weeks deposit AND I get paid on monday morning, no exceptions. I've got no problem holding a check, but I got to have something.

I give my families 150% and am always trying to find ways to improve and make my center fill as many needs for them and their kids as possible. I can't do that if I'm chasing down money and getting stiffed.

Unfortunately the money is important and must be dealt with but my way kind of keeps everyone honest and they don't seem to worry about money they've already "spent".

By the way ~ I'm a softy too. that's most of the reason I have to do it the way I do. I'd NEVER get paid. LOL!
Unregistered 02:58 PM 02-21-2008
This is what I do, I have a signed form saying that even if the child is sick/lack of work/ not coming when to be expected/ they have to sign a 2 week notice and yes I have taken 1 person to small claims court and it did favor to me and I had also noted that if payment is not received there will be an additional fee of $5.00 per day until pail in full. So for this one person who only owed me $60.00 after going to court she had to pay $390.00 with all the late fees included. Her loss. So all in all have them sign a letter stating all your rules (this is not a pay as you go)
AC23 11:38 AM 04-09-2008
If you do not already have parents paying up front you should consider changing your policy. Of course you need to give notice to current families in care and have all new comers start from the get go..

You should have parents pay the Friday before care starts Monday and if they are late and don't pay by the end of Monday tell them their child(ren) can not return to care until payment is made in full along with charging late fees (starting with Saturday) until payment is made in full.

I don't think many parents realize what all goes on with being a provider especially if you are a small business from your home. There is no difference with these parents not paying you and them not paying their house payment, cable bill or some other debt. If anything -- watching someone's children is more important that cable most of those other bills. ALso you may want to consider Provider watch. It is like a credit check for dead beat parents. You can list both sets of families and what they have done. Not all people use this site but there are many of small and big child care centers (independent home providers too) decide whether or not to accept a family. If you also want to send them a letter letting them know that failure to honor their contract you have decided to take this route. What do you have written in your contract to deal with dead beat parents??
pingaa3 03:54 PM 05-09-2008
I was burned on the two week notice thing three times. I now require payment in advance in two week increments. I also require a registration fee. I give NSF check people 5 days to pay and then take them to the district attorney. I charge $25 per bounced check plus any additional fees the bank charges for my inconvenience.

I have everything written into the contract and each item must be initialed that it was read and agreed to.

You are running a business, and unfortunately you are going to run into parents that don't want to pay. Do you really want to keep parents who don't appreciate that they are paying you to care for and raise their children and are too cheap to not bounce checks and not honor their contracts?

It sucks to be a hardA** about it but this isn't something you are doing for kicks. This is your house payment, your utilities, and the food you put in your own childrens stomachs we're talking about here.

Please be kind and firm with the parents, the good ones will appreciate and respect it. The bad ones who would have ripped you off won't stick around anyway.

pingaa3
daycare provider in cA
Unregistered 07:49 AM 06-03-2008
Originally Posted by pingaa3:
I was burned on the two week notice thing three times. I now require payment in advance in two week increments. I also require a registration fee. I give NSF check people 5 days to pay and then take them to the district attorney. I charge $25 per bounced check plus any additional fees the bank charges for my inconvenience.

I have everything written into the contract and each item must be initialed that it was read and agreed to.

You are running a business, and unfortunately you are going to run into parents that don't want to pay. Do you really want to keep parents who don't appreciate that they are paying you to care for and raise their children and are too cheap to not bounce checks and not honor their contracts?

It sucks to be a hardA** about it but this isn't something you are doing for kicks. This is your house payment, your utilities, and the food you put in your own childrens stomachs we're talking about here.

Please be kind and firm with the parents, the good ones will appreciate and respect it. The bad ones who would have ripped you off won't stick around anyway.

pingaa3
daycare provider in cA
I completely agree with you!! I am running a business!! I will take you to court and i get the monies due to me. My family has to eat too and I'm sorry to say but my family does come 1st.
mac60 01:52 AM 06-04-2008
I have worried about that myself. I have been "taken" a couple of times by parents who just quit showing up.

I am considering going to payment on Monday morning for the upcoming week of care. While I don't feel the need to change this for my existing families, I should consider changing for any new families.
pingaa3 04:45 AM 06-06-2008
In our area one of the big things when you take supplement is that all policies are equal for everyone. They basically don't want you charging more for the supplement kids than anybody else due to the delay. So if we change a policy it must be across the board, everyone gets changed
daycaremom1998 04:46 PM 07-03-2008
You know, I'm a big softy also, and I always try to help my families when financial hardship falls upon them; but there are some parents who will really take advantage of you. Over time I become very firm about payment. Someone mentioned earlier, this is my house payment, food for my children, utilities and so on. You would be surprised at how many parents don't think of it in this way.

I now require that parents pay me in advance whether weekly if that is how they are paid, bi-weekly, or monthly. If parents don't pay me on their scheduled day, they are charged a $5 a day late fee until payment is made in full. If after 3 days I haven't been paid, I won't care for their child until payment is made while still accruing daily rates and late fees.

I have only had to enforce this once with a parent who had only been a client for about 1 month. She was one of those parents who had an excuse for everything.. Oh, I'm sorry but ........ You know the type. One morning she rushes in the door and tells me that she would have my payment when she returned to pick up her daughter, which this was what she had been telling me for 3 days now. I told her that was fine and what her balance was up to that point, and that I wouldn't be caring for her daughter that day. She looked at me like I had slapped her across the face with a brick. She said, "What do you mean you can't watch her today?!" I re-explained the policy to her, and she scooped up her daughter and stormed out the door madder than a hornet. You know what? She was back in 15 minutes with payment in full including all late fees and an apology. I never had a problem with her payments, excuses or anything again. In fact, she was with me an additional 3 years before they moved.

I don't know if that helps you or not, but I hope you enjoyed the story at least.
DinTx 09:55 AM 07-04-2008
At enrollment I require payment for the last week of care, a $50 annual supply fee, and $30 one-time Registration Fee; this in addition to the fee for the first week of care. I do allow them to payout the last week, supply fee, and registration fee upon request. I require a 3 week notice, the last week has already been paid at enrollment.

My parents pay on Friday for the upcoming week. No payment by Monday morning, no care.

Even with my policies I have lost money too, but not enough to bother with the hassle of taking them to court.
If they write a hot check and don't make it good, you just report them to the local police. You won't get your money, but a warrant will be issued for their arrest and it will remain on their record. My parents have to pay with money order or cash if bad checks become chronic.

Now, here's what you can do and has proven effective for many a provider. It's easy, but you may not get the money owed you quickly. Depends on the time of year.
If the amount of money they have paid you is significant, they will call you around the first of the year requesting a W-10 for tax purposes. Refuse to provide it until they fulfill the terms of their contract. Works like a charm.
If your parents provide a port-a-crib or other equipment, as mine do, withhold that as well until payment in full has been received. I have acquired several expensive pieces of equipment this way, which were equivalent to the money owed.

Providers should require references from potential clients. They expect references from us, and we're heavily scrutinized. The prospective client should be as well, imho.
Unregistered 07:25 PM 07-21-2008
Originally Posted by tnmom:
I get a 2 weeks deposit AND I get paid on monday morning, no exceptions. I've got no problem holding a check, but I got to have something.

I give my families 150% and am always trying to find ways to improve and make my center fill as many needs for them and their kids as possible. I can't do that if I'm chasing down money and getting stiffed.

Unfortunately the money is important and must be dealt with but my way kind of keeps everyone honest and they don't seem to worry about money they've already "spent".

By the way ~ I'm a softy too. that's most of the reason I have to do it the way I do. I'd NEVER get paid. LOL!
I like the way you think. I am a parent not a caregiver. I suggested to my caregiver that she charge on monday mornings and if they didn't pay they didn't come. It would be hard to turn them away but you have to think of your own families too. If I were a caregiver this is the way I would do it because I couldn't afford to buy supplies if the parents didn't pay. I don't think that parents would mind a bit!
Texasjeepgirl 05:39 AM 07-22-2008
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I like the way you think. I am a parent not a caregiver. I suggested to my caregiver that she charge on monday mornings and if they didn't pay they didn't come. It would be hard to turn them away but you have to think of your own families too. If I were a caregiver this is the way I would do it because I couldn't afford to buy supplies if the parents didn't pay. I don't think that parents would mind a bit!
Being a 'softy' doesn't pay the bills in your own home.
At some point you have to put the 'BEING A SOFTY' portion of yourself aside...and acknowledge that you are running a professional business.

The 'less than $100 amount' is not worth pursueing in court...

I always tell my dear friend and fellow child care provider...
LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU....
Learn from it...and MOVE ON...
Don't continue to repeat these types of mistakes.

We are all professional care givers.
You can't expect a parent to treat you as a professional, unless you ACT like a professional.

Change your policies.
Type up a NEW PAYMENT POLICY..
Give your current parents a set time period to conform to your new payment policy....
If they are currently paying you behind....let them gradually 'flip over' by adding a small amount each week, until they are paying ahead.

I am THE ONLY PROVIDER in my town that charges a 2 week deposit upon enrollment.
When I implemented this policy 7 years ago, every other provider in this town told me I'd ruin my daycare business by expecting parents to pay a 2 week deposit.
Yet....here I am....full daycare..and a waiting list.

I've had many, many parents tell me that they appreciate the PROFESSIONAL manner in which I run my business.

Payment is due on FRIDAY, in ADVANCE of the following week.
2 week deposit due upon enrollment. ( I do allow parent's to make financial arrangements to 'pay out' the deposit )
If they decide to withdraw from care...they give 2 week notice and final 2 weeks are paid.
I have had people walk off and leave the deposit..
Their loss.
I also recently had a parent give 2 week notice...and then ask what would happen if they chose to stop coming before the 2 weeks was up.
In other words...she wanted a refund for a portion of the 2 weeks...
NO.
This is why I require a 2 week deposit...to prevent people from walking off without giving proper notice..

How many of you providers out there have ever actually had a parent give PROPER NOTICE of withdrawel...and then actually attend...and pay...
HA...
In the beginning, EVERYONE has good intentions...
It's in the end that they will leave you owing a balance...and without proper 2 week notice...

I make several things VERY clear in the beginning.
Payment is due, or you do not have child care services.
This is NOT NEGOTIABLE.
Also....my closing time is NOT NEGOTIABLE.
Unregistered 06:28 PM 08-16-2008
a friend of mine works for a company called transworld systems. they offer a third party profit recovery option. depending on the size of your daycare, this could be a great option. it costs an average of $10 per account (which is less than taking them to court) and you can set it up from anywhere with internet access. btw my friends name is allison http://www.web.transworldsystems.com/elpaso/
lilbiddapopcorn 09:12 AM 08-20-2008
Originally Posted by DinTx:
At enrollment I require payment for the last week of care, a $50 annual supply fee, and $30 one-time Registration Fee; this in addition to the fee for the first week of care. I do allow them to payout the last week, supply fee, and registration fee upon request. I require a 3 week notice, the last week has already been paid at enrollment.

My parents pay on Friday for the upcoming week. No payment by Monday morning, no care.

Even with my policies I have lost money too, but not enough to bother with the hassle of taking them to court.
If they write a hot check and don't make it good, you just report them to the local police. You won't get your money, but a warrant will be issued for their arrest and it will remain on their record. My parents have to pay with money order or cash if bad checks become chronic.

Now, here's what you can do and has proven effective for many a provider. It's easy, but you may not get the money owed you quickly. Depends on the time of year.
If the amount of money they have paid you is significant, they will call you around the first of the year requesting a W-10 for tax purposes. Refuse to provide it until they fulfill the terms of their contract. Works like a charm.
If your parents provide a port-a-crib or other equipment, as mine do, withhold that as well until payment in full has been received. I have acquired several expensive pieces of equipment this way, which were equivalent to the money owed.

Providers should require references from potential clients. They expect references from us, and we're heavily scrutinized. The prospective client should be as well, imho.
I agree with most of what you said about the payments, but in most states it's illegal to hold someone's things until they pay unless you're an actual storage facility...
Unregistered 07:46 AM 12-19-2008
I offer a discount to parents who pay in cash on Monday mornings (just a dollar or two). This way I don't have to mess with any bouncing checks and so forth. I have the client sign a contract stating that if they do not pay on Monday they will pay the entire rate. Then If they do not pay me on Friday they receive a 25.00 late fee in addition to their child not being accepted the following week.
MissLisa 10:28 PM 12-19-2008
a friend of mine works for a company called transworld systems. they offer a third party profit recovery option. depending on the size of your daycare, this could be a great option. it costs an average of $10 per account (which is less than taking them to court) and you can set it up from anywhere with internet access. btw my friends name is allison http://www.web.transworldsystems.com/elpaso/

IN MY OPINION ONLY!!! "TRANSWORLDS SYSTEMS" I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE. I have had a large day care center for 10 years. I signed on with transworld 2 years ago...and they have NOT collected ONE PENNY for us. ZIP.... ZILCH.... NADA!!! We turned in OVER 70K in outstanding debts.... yes... you read it right....over 70K.

They have notified us on many of the files submitted that they were unable to locate so they terminated the collections...and I see the parents on the street every day... so I told them to come visit me for a day and I can show them where they are... so why couldn't they locate them?

Also they terminated collections on many and just said "Uncollectable"... WHY NOT.... Thought part of the service they were to offer is to collect through the courts if need be? Well.... they have NOT collected a penny for us out of 70K.

I hope someone else has had better luck with this company than we did.

As a final note:
It has been a tough turn around because the parents have been used to me being a softie... but slowly and surely they are finding I am serious... Plus I have my personal Bouncer....Mr. Marty...lol... that helps keep me on track when I start to waiver.

I have tried to work with the parents going through rough times over the years and can agree that working with your head will pay the bills before working with your heart.
Unregistered 11:52 AM 12-20-2008
I just need to throw this out there and see what you guys think...in the past 6 months I have had 2 families where the parent got layed off their jobs and just called and said their child would not be coming to daycare anymore. No notice or anything. I require a 2 week notice. And they will not pay their balances. One parent is really mad about my rule on if your child misses daycare on their scheduled day I still charge 50%, so she refuses to pay her last 2 week bill, although she signed a contract where the rule was stated. The other parent just isn't paying for whatever reason. Both balances are under $100, so I'm not sure it's worth taking them to court. It's just very annoying. How do you guys handle non paying parents? I have been doing daycare for 19 years and have only had to take 1 parent to court. Thanks.

If we all remember, get paid in advance! Having a 2 week notice policy, doen't mean they will. Many parents can/will skip out. Every one of my parents pays in advance (8) and I have 1 parent that qorks nights and I let her pay biweekly.
It seems like it has to be the same everywhere, but maybe not. In my state, a parent getting daycare assistance can cry wolf about something (they are affraid for their child's well being or whatever) and they can terminate daycare with out 2 weeks notice, a provider must give 2 weeks notice or they don't get paid for the full month authorized from daycare assistance contract from the state.
I had 1 parent I terminated with out notice (they were being difficult, not cooperating, cussing in front of the kids, attitudes, etc...). The mom was the contracted parent with me ans the state (the dad illegally lived with her while she got welfare, daycare assistance, etc... for being a single mom living on her own). 1 month earlier, I told the dad he could no longer come pick up smelling of liquor, so he gave 2 weeks written notice (they have 3 small kids and couldn't find daycare), they came right back and asked if they could stay (I said yes). She asked if I could take more off what she paid (in 3 yrs. I lost over $4000 from her - money she she owed to hold 1-3 of her kids spots while looking for a job, on maternity leaves (only counting when I couldn't fill spots with drop ins), out sick with back problems) 1 month later the issues were piling up (slamming doors, cussing, attitudes). The dad made an ugly scene, I kept calling the mom to discuss (either termination or the dad no longer coming), the calls were ingored. I did *67, she answered and hung up on me. I packed up their belongings and terminated right then. Since she was terminated, she lost her deposit and all money paid is nonrefundable (per my contract - I always go out of my way for parents and rarely terminate, but my contract is clear - if my contract is breached or policies are not followed, I can terminate without notice). She called me 3 times after termination (I didn't answer to avoid escalation). The messages were harrassing and incriminating.
The director of daycare assistance said I couldn't get paid for the rest ot the month, since I terminated (normally if a child doesn't come the full month, you still get paid, unless you terminate without notice).I told her I would call her and put the moms messages in her voicemail (I called her voicemail from my cell and played her messages that were on my home phone), the director heard what she said and along with seeing her previous terminayion letter, she paid me (over $700). In many cases, a parent won't pay when terminating, they skip out.
Make sure you get paid in advance, even daycare assistance parents pay their portion of daycare in advance. Parents will say they don't have money, but they will pay. They have to bring their daycare assistance authorizationcontract on the first when due. There are many providers that are really firm on policies (pay before care id provided, authorizations, sick kids, etc...). Deposits are a good idea, but make sure you keep them in a seperate account and don't spend them.
Good luck
leadhead15717 06:44 PM 02-03-2009
In this business for some reason people think we should be treated differently than the utility companies, credit card companies and so on,
I have heard I had to pay the rent, the electric bill ect which infuriates me!!
Take the deadbeats to small claims court, no amount is too small,
Add the filing costs to your total and file it. when you win and you will if the judge agrees to payments they will make them and if not go back to the court and ask for an execution action. Then they will have a sherrifs sale of their personal property and if your state allows attachment of wages.
Also as a show of support report the deadbeats to your fellow caregivers in your area so that they do not get stung also.
Courtney 09:16 PM 02-12-2009
I charge a 2 week deposit, which is what pays for their 2 week notice. No refund. So if they don't give a 2 week notice, that is their money down the drain.

I require payment on Friday for the following week. No check when they come in Monday morning, no daycare. $15 per day late fee. NSF is a $25 fee, plus the late fee applies back to the day the payment was due. So if a parent pays on a Friday, the check is returned on Tuesday, that is already $85 tacked on. AND I require cash payment indefinitely from that point on.

I have only had a couple incidents, but I always am quick to point out that this is a business, and it is also my livelyhood. I ask them how flexible they would be if THEIR boss didn't pay them on time. I ask them how it would affect them and their family if they didn't get paid.

I haven't had to take anything to court, but I hope things go better for you from here on out!
HomeSweetHomeDaycare 01:24 PM 02-17-2009
I make everyone pay in advance anymore just to avoid this. Then if they do just up and walk away, my only issue if finding someone to fill there spots....

I was doing the deposit but that be came a problem if they left then Id have to come up with the money to give them back. I know I should have saved it, but Im not a good saver so I was always spending it. Anyways, the pay in advance works so much better now!!
Unregistered 06:51 PM 04-07-2009
I have a parent whos child i have been watching for the past four months and owes me 1800 dollars !!! what should i do??? please help. I am not a licensed daycare only a babysitter. PLEASE HELP!!!
seashell 08:56 AM 04-28-2009
I have a parent whos child i have been watching for the past four months and owes me 1800 dollars !!! what should i do??? please help. I am not a licensed daycare only a babysitter. PLEASE HELP!!!

If you have a signed contract and can prove she owes the money, you can take her to small claims court or you can hire a collection agency. They will take 1/3 but they do all the work.

good luck
Unregistered 04:52 PM 04-28-2009
Well I'm not a registered daycare, but I do watch a few families. Well one of my families just up and decided to pull their child out. WASN'T going to even call me or anything.
So I find out their not bringing their son back, only by me calling and trying to figure out where the child is.
So any how to ge to to my point, I have contracts with my families, to try and avoid any issues that may come my way. Well DOESN'T help. I state in there that they must giveTWO (2) paid weeks notice. Well I had mentioned it to the parents. Now ironically they won't take my calls or anything. I have left them e-mails and text messages REMINDING them about the contract. I told them I wanted the payment by a certain time as it's stated in the contract they were suppose to pay it as they decided to pull their child out.
So my question is.. can I take them to small claims court since I have contracts, even though I'm not a registered daycare?

I read some of your peoples messages, and no people you care for DO not think of the fact that we have all the same bills as them. It's pretty sad that they can take advantage of people taking care of their child. People now a days just are for themself...
sweetcinna 07:39 AM 05-04-2009
Well I'm not a registered daycare, but I do watch a few families. Well one of my families just up and decided to pull their child out. WASN'T going to even call me or anything.
So I find out their not bringing their son back, only by me calling and trying to figure out where the child is.
So any how to ge to to my point, I have contracts with my families, to try and avoid any issues that may come my way. Well DOESN'T help. I state in there that they must giveTWO (2) paid weeks notice. Well I had mentioned it to the parents. Now ironically they won't take my calls or anything. I have left them e-mails and text messages REMINDING them about the contract. I told them I wanted the payment by a certain time as it's stated in the contract they were suppose to pay it as they decided to pull their child out.
So my question is.. can I take them to small claims court since I have contracts, even though I'm not a registered daycare?

I read some of your peoples messages, and no people you care for DO not think of the fact that we have all the same bills as them. It's pretty sad that they can take advantage of people taking care of their child. People now a days just are for themself...
If you have a signed contract with them........I would have no futher contact with them and i would take them to court to file a small claims case doesn't cost that much and no you don't have to be a reg. daycare provider........you have a contract.
LeadershipConnection 07:06 AM 05-13-2009
There's a great conference call that you can listen in to at:

http://www.leadershipconnectionforch...public/437.cfm

The guests share frustrations and solutions to common problems related to collecting tuition. There's even a handout you can download posted.

Julie Bartkus
Unregistered 09:05 AM 06-19-2009
I think it's silly to ask for a deposit. Even public daycare systems don't do that. I know in the area that I live, nobody will agree to pay a deposit and I don't think that's the right thing to ask someone to do anyways. I have been providing childcare from my home for going on 4 years now and I have all of my parents pre-pay every Monday....no exceptions. If they can't pay on Monday, I do not allow their child to come. You have to put your foot down! Rules are rules! I provide meals and snacks which are included in my weekly fee, so obviously, I need to get prepaid in order to feed the kids. Small claims court is a pain to deal with and it takes forever. If you aren't owed too much money, then you might just have to take the loss unless you feel like dealing with the whole court deal. I think most daycare providers ask for a 2 week notice when parents will be pulling their child from care, but it doesn't always happen that way and unfortunately, daycare providers get stiffed when that happens. All you can do is make sure that you have parents sign appropriate forms about the rules of your business, and hope that they follow and respect them. Again, small claims court is an option if you feel like dealing with it!
Texasjeepgirl 11:30 AM 06-22-2009
You do not mention where you are located...
May I suggest becoming a REGISTERED USER of our forum...

I actually 'got' the idea of beginning to charge a deposit from an area CHILDCARE FACILITY handbook.
The fact is, if a parent understands completely that the deposit you are charging them will cover the last two weeks of childcare, IF they give 2 week notice of withdrawing their child...they are glad to pay it.
I allow my parents to pay their deposit out...if paying it in full is a financial burden..
I've had parents do both..
Enroll...and pay the 2 week deposit, IN FULL...and the first week of childcare...I've also had parents pay it out $5 or $10 per week...
Either way, once it's on my ledger sheet...it's there, until they give 2 week notice.
The parents that do not want to pay it, are the parents that will want to walk off with NO NOTICE...or...an outstanding balance.

17 years of experience...

I do charge in advance of care, due Friday in advance of the following week.

How many of you have had a grandparent...or friend...or other authorized person to pick up the child ...pick up on Friday...no check for the following week..
Then on Sunday night the parent calls and says...OH...by the way...
we're moving/I lost my job/my mom is going to keep my child for me..OR MANY OTHER 'valid' reasons for leaving with NO NOTICE...
No payment..No notice..

Charge the 2 week deposit.
QUALITY PARENTS will pay it.
I can't even begin to tell you how many parents have told me that they respect me MORE for my business policies..
I am currently THE ONLY provider in my town that requires a 2 week deposit.
I've been charging it for 7 years now...
They all told me I'd ruin my business by 'attempting' to implement that policy...
so far ... It's only been a BLESSING
Unregistered 12:05 PM 06-22-2009
I just realized I have "quality parents". I never thought of it that way. I've had my share of walk-offs and even better, someone wanting a refund. But quality parents sure can make a difference for everyone involved.
Unregistered 08:14 AM 12-16-2010
I have an In-Home Child Care. One of the children that I have been watching has been in my care for 16 months. The child began to hurt other children and was very disruptive so I have tried talking to the parents about five times about what was happening. I decided to give them a week to find alternative child care because he was continuing his actions. The mother got very upset with me and was very unprofessional towards me and in front of the other children. After her reaction she slammed my daycare door and walked out, ignoring me as I was still talking. I went after her and told her that I could not have her coming back next week at all if she was going to act like that towards me as I felt it was very disrespectful. I am a professional and I take pride in what I do and for a parent to treat me like that, I never would have expected it. Well to get to the point, she canceled the check for that week of $100 and then my bank account was charged $20 for her canceling the check. I was told to take her to small claims court because I am running a business and I provided a service to her. I also have my contract that she and her husband both signed when putting their son my care, that they would pay me $35.00 a day to provide care to their son....I am still sending her child's Christmas present and card through the mail..like I had planned on before seeing that she canceled the check.....Any advice? Thank you
Abigail 12:08 PM 12-16-2010
I have an In-Home Child Care. One of the children that I have been watching has been in my care for 16 months. The child began to hurt other children and was very disruptive so I have tried talking to the parents about five times about what was happening. I decided to give them a week to find alternative child care because he was continuing his actions. The mother got very upset with me and was very unprofessional towards me and in front of the other children. After her reaction she slammed my daycare door and walked out, ignoring me as I was still talking. I went after her and told her that I could not have her coming back next week at all if she was going to act like that towards me as I felt it was very disrespectful. I am a professional and I take pride in what I do and for a parent to treat me like that, I never would have expected it. Well to get to the point, she canceled the check for that week of $100 and then my bank account was charged $20 for her canceling the check. I was told to take her to small claims court because I am running a business and I provided a service to her. I also have my contract that she and her husband both signed when putting their son my care, that they would pay me $35.00 a day to provide care to their son....I am still sending her child's Christmas present and card through the mail..like I had planned on before seeing that she canceled the check.....Any advice? Thank you
Is it in your contract that you only give a one week notice when terminating or that you can terminate immediately? If not, then she is allowed to "walk off". If that $100 was for care you already provided then you need to write her a demand letter (why not with the Christmas gift?! LOL) asking for the required fees as they signed or you will submit it to small claims on such and such date. She should owe you her $100, your banks $20 fee, any fee you have associated with a NSF check, and any late fees is you charge those. Give her 2 weeks and don't provide care until she pays.
Unregistered 07:16 PM 10-13-2011
I had my children it a in-home daycare and she just one day starting yelling at me about payments. She is trying to say that i owe her 500 dollars but she never gave me receipts and paid cash. Now when she was yelling at me, my kids were outside by themselves. So i did tell her that i did not want to talk about this right at that point because i didn't want my kids by themselves outside. Well i have not talked to her in like a month and a half. She called me and asked that i pay her in full or she will take me to court. Does anyone know what i can do? I know she did break rules and i did talk to the director of child care in my state. Any advise?
Unregistered 07:19 PM 02-17-2012
I have an issue with a daycare provider who is trying to charge me 120 a week for one kid for one day a week. It started at 90 a week for one day, then went to 60, then to 120 and when I said that it was too much for one day and that I was leaving, she said I needed a 2 week notice and that it would be 120 per week till then.

Never mind that my daughter got lice there and sent home and I still had to pay them to give my daughter lice! But this price fluctuation is concerning. I did not sign a contract, and was not handed a handbook. I did not get a price list and now it seems like she's price gouging me.

I don't like them, they are rude to me and I am very close to not paying. Those who know me know that I always pay, and sometimes overpay out of guilt. But this lady is raising some concerns and unsure feelings.

I just want some feedback and since I didn't sign a contract, She can't take me to court, right?
monkeysmiles 09:46 PM 05-08-2012
Hi ! I'm new at this, but am a home care (unlicensed provider) in the state of Ohio. In August, 2011, I took on a family of three children. One full time and two school age children for before and after school. No contract (first mistake!) To shorten the story, last week, I provided care for all three at orally agreed upon amount. These parents have been late on payments numerous times, making various excuses. I did always end up being paid. I agrreed with mother on a Tuesday that I would continue wayching the school age children until school was out, but preferred younger children, but left the option open for them to keep the youngest in my care. All was fine, the youngest was to remain in my care and when school ends the two older children would go to "day camps." I told them that I would need the next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. Days off were never an issue before. She agreed on the phone and I have text to back up. Friday comes, and they parents do not pay. I text, no response. I tell them that no pay =no care on Monday, Tuesday fine if paid, but no Monday . Again, no written contract just tired of excuses of late payments. I hear nothing. Finally, I tell them that I will care for their children on Tuesday, but like I said the Tuesday before, their termination date would be May8th because they did not pay. I tried to work with them, tried texting and received no response.
Finally, tonight, she texts back and said they were not planning on paying because of the "hardships I created and that they had to take the week off work this week to have childcare." The only days that would have been needed was Monday, and Thursday since Dad is off on Wednesday and Fridays. Are they still responsible for paying what they owed last week as I did watch and provide care??? They said they contacted a lawyer and was told to "ignore" my texts and due to hardships they weren't going to pay? Doesn't sound correct to me. I am not asking for future pay, just what they owe me for the last week of care I providing. The children were in my care! Do I have a case or is she just talking bs about hardship? I should be paid regardless, correct? Any opinions as to what to do next. Am I entitled to what is owed rightfully?
Kaddidle Care 04:58 AM 05-09-2012
Keep those texts as proof of no pay. I doubt they talked to a lawyer but unfortunately you don't have a contract and that makes it a harder case. Do you know anyone that's a lawyer? Figure out how much $$ it is and decide if it's worth it or not.

From now on - have them sign a contract to save yourself and take a deposit in advance just in case.

Sorry you got burned.
Unregistered 10:01 AM 01-26-2013
What do you di if a father decides he wont half the child care costs and he already signed the agreement? (besides call the lawyer and pay for that again)
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 01-26-2013
What do you di if a father decides he wont half the child care costs and he already signed the agreement? (besides call the lawyer and pay for that again)
Are you a provider trying to collect half from the father and half from the mother?

Or are you a parent trying to pay child care costs for your own child and the child's father is suppose to be resonsible for half the costs and not paying his half?

If so is is a verbal or court ordered agreement?
Unregistered 01:37 PM 04-03-2015
My sister own a license daycare but one day she was all nice and allow this sketchy lady who beg to put her son in her daycare but she wants to pay the end of the week because that is when she gets paid. Two week of care past she didn't pay. She said twice she would stop by and pay and keep giving excuses like she is out of town when my sister reached her. Anyway my sister was silly not handing her a contract. We have communication through text proving she did use her care. Can we take her to collection or small court? I send her a text giving her by the end of today to come pay or I will put her to collection but she didn't response. Just in case she don't show up today what can my sister do? We have her facebook and phone number and that's it. Please give us some advice. And yes my sister should of hold her with a contract but she didn't so.. Yeah.
Thriftylady 02:14 PM 04-03-2015
My sister own a license daycare but one day she was all nice and allow this sketchy lady who beg to put her son in her daycare but she wants to pay the end of the week because that is when she gets paid. Two week of care past she didn't pay. She said twice she would stop by and pay and keep giving excuses like she is out of town when my sister reached her. Anyway my sister was silly not handing her a contract. We have communication through text proving she did use her care. Can we take her to collection or small court? I send her a text giving her by the end of today to come pay or I will put her to collection but she didn't response. Just in case she don't show up today what can my sister do? We have her facebook and phone number and that's it. Please give us some advice. And yes my sister should of hold her with a contract but she didn't so.. Yeah.
All a licensed provider has is a phone number and facebook for a kid that was in care? Um I hate to say this but I am pretty sure your sister broke a ton of rules there. What about all the contact forms, emergency forms, etc.? I think you sister needs to chalk this up as an expensive lesson learned and up her game on the business end.
Unregistered 07:42 AM 07-20-2016
My parents have to pay whether the kid comes or not I do allow 1 week for vacation and 1 week for illness where they don't have to pay. I explain that there paying for a slot. So it has to be paid regardless.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:11 AM 07-20-2016
Yep, I've been there! No more for me, I wised up. Can you say Enrollment Deposit?! As a condition of enrollment, parents must submit an enrollment deposit equal to two weeks tuition. That way I always get the two-week notice. Believe me, parents are not very likely to leave money on the table. Now I always get notice.

If you want to add this and you need help with specific wording, just send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to share.
Blackcat31 10:16 AM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
Yep, I've been there! No more for me, I wised up. Can you say Enrollment Deposit?! As a condition of enrollment, parents must submit an enrollment deposit equal to two weeks tuition. That way I always get the two-week notice. Believe me, parents are not very likely to leave money on the table. Now I always get notice.

If you want to add this and you need help with specific wording, just send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to share.
Only registered members of this forum have access to PM'ing features.
Unregistered 08:28 PM 02-07-2017
I have a remaing balance with my child's daycare it's under $200 but the only reason I am not able to pay it off is due to being a victim of hurricane Matthew and being displaced. Just received a new job and unable to pay at the present moment but the daycare still refuses to provide tax forms etc due to outstanding balance. This is crazy and I was hoping I could use my return to pay off bills. It's hard enough being displaced.
Play Care 03:13 AM 02-08-2017
I have a remaing balance with my child's daycare it's under $200 but the only reason I am not able to pay it off is due to being a victim of hurricane Matthew and being displaced. Just received a new job and unable to pay at the present moment but the daycare still refuses to provide tax forms etc due to outstanding balance. This is crazy and I was hoping I could use my return to pay off bills. It's hard enough being displaced.
While I don't think they can legally withhold that information, my understanding is that you don't need anything from the day care to claim the expense.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 02-08-2017
In almost 4 months time have you made any payment plans with your provider? Was the provider also hit by the same storm? I understand having hard times, but a little effort to work with a provider can go a long way to resolving your problem.
Tags:2008, deposit, non-payment, parent won't pay, single mom excuse
Reply Up