Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grrr Father's Day Gift Fail
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 06-05-2018
So I bought some work gloves at the Dollar Tree with plans to have the dcks use fabric paint to paint their hand prints on them. It didn't work out so change of plans. I just ordered white t-shirts and will decorate them somehow with Pinterest's help. And/or yours? I'm thinking hand prints, then a saying about being 'the best dad hands down'. Any other ideas? I have 2 sets of sibs and 2 singlets. Should I have everybody create a shirt separately or have the 2 sets of sibs make 1 together? And are fabric paints the best way to go?

Thanks for any suggestions. I really should start these projects months ahead of time because I always start to panic towards the end.
Jupadia 06:13 AM 06-05-2018
I'm just doing what I did for mothers day. I bought a cheap filler store canvas and masked out a M for mom and now it will be a D for Dad. ( though my own boys did a NA for Nana each and will do a Papa for their grampa). Had the kids paint the canvas being sure to cover all the edges of the tape (for the youngest a put a quick swipe of 0aint on first to get the outside of the tape) and then once they dried just lifted up the tape. Parents then had a letter pic and it only took one day.
Snowmom 08:42 AM 06-05-2018
I was really hoping to see pictures of this "fail".

Back when I did holiday-type gifts, my favorites were ones that were pictures. We did a chalk drawing on the sidewalk that said "Happy Father's Day" and took pictures of each child next to it. Then Mod Podged it to a tile. Instant coasters.

I think shirts are a cute idea. Fabric paint should work. Even a sharpie and outlining the handprint would work too!
storybookending 08:47 AM 06-05-2018
I did 4 pictures of each child holding the letters D A D and a heart. I mod podged them to tiles like a previous poster said to make coasters. I am also going to do a resin layer sometime this week so they will be glossy and more water proof.
Pestle 09:00 AM 06-05-2018
I haven't done much with holiday projects. Right now, one of my families is turning into a single-mom family due to an affair, so I think a Father's Day project would be insensitive.
daycarediva 10:50 AM 06-05-2018
"chip off the old block" labeled wood pieces with vellum photos of the kids.

Originally Posted by Pestle:
I haven't done much with holiday projects. Right now, one of my families is turning into a single-mom family due to an affair, so I think a Father's Day project would be insensitive.
respectfully disagree, the child/ren still have a father.
hwichlaz 11:58 AM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Yeah that.
Josiegirl 02:40 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Yeah that.
I also have a recently separated dcf and dcd strayed but I'm still making sure the kids give him something. He's still a great dad to them, just not a good dh.
storybookending 08:07 PM 06-05-2018

Do you have pictures of what these look like finished? If you do would you mind PM’ing then to me? I’m trying to bank ideas for future years until I have enough to get a good rotation.
daycarediva 03:49 AM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Do you have pictures of what these look like finished? If you do would you mind PM’ing then to me? I’m trying to bank ideas for future years until I have enough to get a good rotation.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/83527768069809299/

we are only doing one photo of each kiddo though, on a 2x4 piece cut down to fit the photos

Sanding it has been real peachy.
storybookending 08:23 AM 06-06-2018
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/83527768069809299/

we are only doing one photo of each kiddo though, on a 2x4 piece cut down to fit the photos

Sanding it has been real peachy.
Thanks! Thinking of replicating with 1-3 pictures and on the other sides of the cubes maybe sayings like “chip off the old block” “happy mother’s/father’s day” “I love you” “2018” maybe a big heart? Deff banking this idea for future years, thanks!
daycarediva 09:16 AM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Thanks! Thinking of replicating with 1-3 pictures and on the other sides of the cubes maybe sayings like “chip off the old block” “happy mother’s/father’s day” “I love you” “2018” maybe a big heart? Deff banking this idea for future years, thanks!
YES! Happy Father's Day (cricut vinyl) on the back and the card says chip off the old block.
tenderhearts 01:03 PM 06-06-2018
I bought canvas had the kids paint a light color, when dried I did vinyl letter I (heart) dad then they painted all over it how they wanted. When dried we peeled off the vinyl letters then we did hand prints at the bottom.
Mom we did canvas, they painted blue, I took a picture of each child facing the side like they were blowing up, then they glued hearts up the canvas.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 06-06-2018
I'm doing the gummy fish lures/tackle box thing with a handprint card. Simple
Ariana 02:16 PM 06-06-2018
We are doing a monster jar thingy filled with candy. The kids chose the craft. It is basically baby food jars with the lids painted and then decorated to look like monsters (googly eyes, pipecleaner antenna etc) and then we are gonna fill them with dads favourite candy (M&Ms most likely). Then a card that says “you’re my favourite monster” or something like that!

Not exactly a traditionally Fathers Day craft but the kids picked it and I think its cute
flying_babyb 06:21 PM 06-06-2018
Were doing a canvas with the kids hand made into a fish, with a hook and line. Gonna say hooked on daddy.. Guess we should start hey? fathers day is like 7 days away. (not that I care cause Im done the 15th... Ok I guess I do care)
lovemykidstoo 12:14 PM 06-09-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I bought canvas had the kids paint a light color, when dried I did vinyl letter I (heart) dad then they painted all over it how they wanted. When dried we peeled off the vinyl letters then we did hand prints at the bottom.
Mom we did canvas, they painted blue, I took a picture of each child facing the side like they were blowing up, then they glued hearts up the canvas.
That sounds really cute with the blowing up of the hearts. Can you possibly post a pic?
Tags:fathers day, fathers day gifts
Reply Up