Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack n Play Sheets Are TOO LOOSE!!
BGM 07:17 AM 09-26-2017
I'm seriously at a loss here.

My initial inspection is any day and I cannot find any sheets that are tight enough for my pack and plays! I got these two Graco pnps second hand from different sources. They're in pretty good shape and I washed both of them in my tub. I feel like then I did that, it made some kind of air bubble in the mats. Has anyone else experienced this?

So, I bought these nice waterproof sheets off of Amazon and waited a while to set them up but when I finally did, my initial inspector said they were too loose and suggested I buy sheet suspenders for them. I did that and they are still loose.

Then I bought Graco brand pnp sheets specifically and still they are too loose. I even used the sheet suspenders on them to the point where the cheap stitching is pulling apart and the boards of the pnp mats kind of buckle together but still...too loose!?

I really don't want to fail my inspection because of this. What do you guys use to make sure your sheets are snug?
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by KWTR:

My initial inspection is any day and I cannot find any sheets that are tight enough for my pack and plays! I got these two Graco pnps second hand from different sources. They're in pretty good shape and I washed both of them in my tub. I feel like then I did that, it made some kind of air bubble in the mats. Has anyone else experienced this?

So, I bought these nice waterproof sheets off of Amazon and waited a while to set them up but when I finally did, my initial inspector said they were too loose and suggested I buy sheet suspenders for them. I did that and they are still loose.

Then I bought Graco brand pnp sheets specifically and still they are too loose. I even used the sheet suspenders on them to the point where the cheap stitching is pulling apart and the boards of the pnp mats kind of buckle together but still...too loose!?

I really don't want to fail my inspection because of this. What do you guys use to make sure your sheets are snug?
I just stopped using PNP's. There really are no legal options other than having them custom made....which I have had done but it's expensive and silly that I even have to do it... instead I just opted for mini-cribs.

They fold flat for easy storage, meet all licensing safe sleep rules and have mattresses that use "well fitting" sheets you can simply buy on-line or in stores.
Snowmom 07:23 AM 09-26-2017

You said you washed the mats. Did you take out the inserts before washing the mat? A lot of those pack n play surfaces are wood or particle board inside, so you may have warped them if you submerged them in water.

You can make your own sheets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UukTqMcwgw

The kind that completely encompass the mat surface all the way around stay the best... which is why a lot of providers make their own or buy them on etsy.
MomBoss 07:31 AM 09-26-2017
I use mini crib sheets for my pnps, they fit perfect.
MyAngels 07:48 AM 09-26-2017
I make my own with elastic all the way around. I've got another idea for making an envelope style with velcro for closing the flap, but I haven't actually made it yet as my current sheets are still working fine.
Cat Herder 07:50 AM 09-26-2017
I bought the slip on sheets several years ago. They fit the PNP'S and DayDreamer folding mats. I still use them with 3 inch mini crib mattresses, now. I will be ordering a new set, soon. Hands down the best purchases of linens I have made. http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm Fold and tuck, just like pillow cases.
BGM 07:52 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I just stopped using PNP's. There really are no legal options other than having them custom made....which I have had done but it's expensive and silly that I even have to do it... instead I just opted for mini-cribs.

They fold flat for easy storage, meet all licensing safe sleep rules and have mattresses that use "well fitting" sheets you can simply buy on-line or in stores.
Yeah, I want cribs, but I'm trying to wait at least a year until I can put some money aside from the daycare to start paying for nicer things.
Ariana 07:54 AM 09-26-2017
I had to stop using them for this reason too. I have one that fits snuggly and the rest way too loose. I just lay them on the bare mat and disenfect at the end of the day with lysol wipes and a wash cloth. It is much easier than laundering sheets I find.
BGM 07:55 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
You said you washed the mats. Did you take out the inserts before washing the mat? A lot of those pack n play surfaces are wood or particle board inside, so you may have warped them if you submerged them in water.

You can make your own sheets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UukTqMcwgw

The kind that completely encompass the mat surface all the way around stay the best... which is why a lot of providers make their own or buy them on etsy.
Good idea, now to start learning how to sew...Maybe that will be my project for the next couple days.
Thanks!
BGM 08:01 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I make my own with elastic all the way around. I've got another idea for making an envelope style with velcro for closing the flap, but I haven't actually made it yet as my current sheets are still working fine.
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I bought the slip on sheets several years ago. They fit the PNP'S and DayDreamer folding mats. I still use them with 3 inch mini crib mattresses, now. I will be ordering a new set, soon. Hands down the best purchases of linens I have made. http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm Fold and tuck, just like pillow cases.
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I had to stop using them for this reason too. I have one that fits snuggly and the rest way too loose. I just lay them on the bare mat and disenfect at the end of the day with lysol wipes and a wash cloth. It is much easier than laundering sheets I find.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I've decided what to do. I'll make pillowcase-like sheets that fit super snug with a zipper at the top...or at least, I'll try! I'll let you know how it works
Snowmom 08:01 AM 09-26-2017
Yeah, I want cribs, but I'm trying to wait at least a year until I can put some money aside from the daycare to start paying for nicer things.
Look into grants in your area. It is grant season here. Portable cribs are a great thing to buy with grant money!
HappyEverAfter 08:06 AM 09-26-2017
I don't even use sheets. Kids go straight onto the mats of the PNP. Each kid uses the same PNP daily and I Lysol them every night after the kids leave. On the weekends I pull the mats out and scrub them down. Seems to be working just fine so I'm not going to bother with sheets.
Snowmom 08:08 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Starrygirl:
I don't even use sheets. Kids go straight onto the mats of the PNP. Each kid uses the same PNP daily and I Lysol them every night after the kids leave. On the weekends I pull the mats out and scrub them down. Seems to be working just fine so I'm not going to bother with sheets.
Sheets are mandatory here.
BGM 08:18 AM 09-26-2017
Sheets are mandatory here.
Here too, I'm in Wisconsin.
LysesKids 10:15 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Yep... that & I have custom 3" mattresses in my PnP's too. My families love I don't do the "board" that comes with them
daycarediva 10:22 AM 09-26-2017
No pack and plays. Everyone is on a mat here.

for granddaughter we found that a mini crib mattress and sheet work better than the board that comes with the pnp.
284878 03:24 PM 09-26-2017
I use Graco brand quilted sheets on my Graco Pack and Play and I just passed inspection.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I've decided what to do. I'll make pillowcase-like sheets that fit super snug with a zipper at the top...or at least, I'll try! I'll let you know how it works
Also, if you do make sheets like pillowcases make sure that you leave slots on the bottom side for the velcro or snaps so that the mat can be secured to the pack and play.

How do you take the inserts out? Not one tutorial that I watched on washing the pack-n-play did it show me how to take out the inserts.
flying_babyb 06:49 PM 09-26-2017
ours dont even have a zipper! we just have ones sewed up on 3 sides.
Meeko 12:43 PM 09-27-2017
I made my sheets for my mini cribs. I made them to fit like pillow shams do, with a fold over flap. No zippers or velcro etc.
Unregistered 07:03 PM 10-23-2018
A little late on seeing this post - you NEED Linen & Leah's Perfect Fit Pack & Play Sheets - designed by a former childcare provider who faced this very problem. The sheets are AMAZING!
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A little late on seeing this post - you NEED Linen & Leah's Perfect Fit Pack & Play Sheets - designed by a former childcare provider who faced this very problem. The sheets are AMAZING!
Yikes! For the price of 3 sheets, I can buy a mini-crib and easily find sheets that fit properly.

Plus they don't seem custom fit....just says "fits most brands" ~ which is what most the others say too.

Thankfully, I don't have infants in care right now but I remember trying hard to find sheets that fit PNP's properly. I ended up just buying a mini-crib. It folds flat and stores easily so problem solved.
hwichlaz 06:58 AM 10-24-2018
I need the sheets to NOT prevent the mattress from being velcro'd down as intended.

Put the sheet suspenders through the button holes in the bottom of the pack n play so that the sheet is held down without folding the mattress.
Gemma 09:46 AM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by BGM:

I've had the same problem and straight out asked my consultant, she said other providers use corner straps and cross them on the back to form an "x" so I said what happen when the baby moves and the cardboard sections that no longer have a stitched line to keep separate, overlap and shrink the mat? She smoothly changed the subject and since I don't plan on having more infants I left it at that, but if I did, I would invest in a proper crib and be done with it.
Mad_Pistachio 11:03 AM 10-24-2018
I still have the sheets from my Graco from 6 years ago, 2 types: with elastic and without. The elastic ones might be loose, but the "pocket" sheets I remember being rather tight.
Not sure if it's still relevant, but I can mail them to you next week (won't make it to P.O. until Monday). I got at east 2, maybe 3 of those. They are not waterproof, just to clarify.
DaycareMnMom 03:49 AM 11-02-2018
I think this is exactly what you’re talking about?
I just ordered one to see, but it looks like it is secure and allows the Velcro straps to connect to the base.

I’ll let you know what I find out.
Unregistered 11:02 AM 11-04-2018
Btdt- sew the corners to tighten them
BGM 07:08 AM 11-06-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I've had the same problem and straight out asked my consultant, she said other providers use corner straps and cross them on the back to form an "x" so I said what happen when the baby moves and the cardboard sections that no longer have a stitched line to keep separate, overlap and shrink the mat? She smoothly changed the subject and since I don't plan on having more infants I left it at that, but if I did, I would invest in a proper crib and be done with it.
So it's a year later. I ended up making my own pillowcase-like sheets. It was a hassle to do it by hand, but they were really tight, so worth it. For the new school year, I found that the sheets must have shrunk because they fit better especially when I use the suspenders. I'm not gonna get a crib. My house is too small to have 2 cribs take up space all the time. We keep the PNPs in our guest room and can take them down pretty quickly if we are hosting and we like that we can do that.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yikes! For the price of 3 sheets, I can buy a mini-crib and easily find sheets that fit properly.

Plus they don't seem custom fit....just says "fits most brands" ~ which is what most the others say too.

Thankfully, I don't have infants in care right now but I remember trying hard to find sheets that fit PNP's properly. I ended up just buying a mini-crib. It folds flat and stores easily so problem solved.
Yeah, those sheets are wayyyy too expensive.

Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I still have the sheets from my Graco from 6 years ago, 2 types: with elastic and without. The elastic ones might be loose, but the "pocket" sheets I remember being rather tight.
Not sure if it's still relevant, but I can mail them to you next week (won't make it to P.O. until Monday). I got at east 2, maybe 3 of those. They are not waterproof, just to clarify.
Oh my goodness- that's so, so kind of you! I appreciate your offer. I'd feel bad about having you go through all that for some sheets though...

Originally Posted by DaycareMnMom:
I think this is exactly what you’re talking about?
I just ordered one to see, but it looks like it is secure and allows the Velcro straps to connect to the base.

I’ll let you know what I find out.
Yeah, they better be magic sheets for that much. haha

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Btdt- sew the corners to tighten them

Flowerchild 05:39 AM 11-09-2018
We took mini hair ties and grabbed the corners in to fasten it. Just wrap it srou d under corners. They can't see it if it's under the mattress 😊
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
We took mini hair ties and grabbed the corners in to fasten it. Just wrap it srou d under corners. They can't see it if it's under the mattress 😊
Who can't see it? Licensing?

I'd be wary of doing that as it's a choking hazard for the little ones if they happen to get a hold of them.
Flowerchild 07:21 AM 11-09-2018
We've never had a problem with that
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
We've never had a problem with that
Things are never a problem until they are.
Flowerchild 07:45 AM 11-09-2018
But I don't think we used them for long. Like a couple days. We found sheets that are tighter. I hate those flimsy fuller ones that don't attach to mats at all
Tags:2017, graco, loose fitting, pack and play, pnp, sheets, sids, snug sheets
Reply Up