Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Memorial Day
mac60 08:10 AM 05-21-2009
Yea, Monday is a holiday and I get paid for it. One of my eight paid holidays throughout the year. Now, to work on getting a week of paid vacation. Yes, us home providers do deserve it.
tymaboy 10:44 AM 05-21-2009
Tottaly agree. I dont have them pay for my vac cuz I feel guilty taking the time off then they having to pay for backup. I do get 10 paid holidays though.
mac60 12:51 PM 05-21-2009
Why do we feel guilty for things that we work for and deserve. I am sure parents don't feel guilty for taking their vacation time from their employer. But I understand your feelings.
sweetcinna 05:02 PM 05-21-2009
I have been looking forward to this since the beginning of the year!! Whoo hoo......a paid day off. Of course it still didn't stop one parent from asking if i was open (even though i have kept her children for 2 years) and then trying to lay a guilt trip by saying...I don't know what I'm going to do. Well i don't either but this daycare is CLOSED!!!! Come on July 4th!! hehe
GretasLittleFriends 07:34 PM 05-21-2009
I'm pretty new with my business, and I've decided to stay open Memorial Day. I only have 3 kids that day, and they're siblings. Now 4th of July, that's another story...
Unregistered 10:05 AM 05-26-2009
Be careful of what you say because July 4th falls on a Saturday. I have stated in my rules that if a paid holiday falls over a weekend I can take either the day before or the day after as my day. I just sent out my notice that since it falls on a Saturday this year I will be taking off July 3rd as my holiday.
I also have some parents that aske if I was babysitting on Memorial Day and I am glad I didn't say yes because this parent was off, she just wanted to use me.
GretasLittleFriends 05:13 AM 05-27-2009
If I knew the parents would not have been working I wouldn't take the kids on Memorial Day. The kids' parents work at a ******, and I knew they were working.
tymaboy 06:41 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Be careful of what you say because July 4th falls on a Saturday. I have stated in my rules that if a paid holiday falls over a weekend I can take either the day before or the day after as my day. I just sent out my notice that since it falls on a Saturday this year I will be taking off July 3rd as my holiday.
I also have some parents that aske if I was babysitting on Memorial Day and I am glad I didn't say yes because this parent was off, she just wanted to use me.
I have mine worded that its paid no matter what day it falls on & I can take the surrounding days off if I choose. I have not decided what we are doing 4th of July. I figure if I work then I get Holiday pay plus the full day wage if they come.
sweetcinna 01:44 PM 05-28-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh you better believe i put a clause like this in my contract!!! Come on July 3rd is should say! lol
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:49 AM 06-09-2009
Hey all its my first post! Ive read for awhile but had time to register today and say hello. I take off 10 holidays a year INCLUDING CPAD (childcare provider appreciation day) plus 5 personal days. I take a day or two here and there. It adds up to my getting a week vacation. =-)
melissa ann 02:53 PM 06-09-2009
I've been doing childcare for a little over a year. I haven't had the courage to get paid for holidays. The parents that I have, all work in the retail & restaurant fields so they normally have to work. I'm not opened on holidays so they have to find other care for their kids. I really want to get paid for holidays. I'm ususally watching kids for about 10 1/2 hrs/hay. I feel I'm entitled to paid holidays. IT's not my fault that their employment requres them to work holidays. But, alas, I can be such a weakling. I really need to get a back bone.
mac60 07:14 PM 06-09-2009
yes, you need to start charging for holidays.

You need to put in your handbook:

Payment is expected whether the child is here or not, vacation days, holidays, and sick days included.

I personally don't charge for my vacation time off. Then list the holidays you are taking.
Tags:memorial day, paid holidays
Reply Up