Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Doing Own Taxes
tenderhearts 12:30 PM 10-11-2017
I am really considering doing my own taxes this year. I know all the things I can deduct but my concern is forwarding all the depreciation stuff and doing depreciation. Tom do you have an article on depreciation and is it fairly simple to figure out? We have had a couple of things we did this year such as fence, kitchen remodel that I would also be adding to it. oh and I know laws changed about the section 179, I purchased a kids play structure for $460.00 thank you.
TomCopeland 12:55 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I am really considering doing my own taxes this year. I know all the things I can deduct but my concern is forwarding all the depreciation stuff and doing depreciation. Tom do you have an article on depreciation and is it fairly simple to figure out? We have had a couple of things we did this year such as fence, kitchen remodel that I would also be adding to it. oh and I know laws changed about the section 179, I purchased a kids play structure for $460.00 thank you.
Depreciation is the most complicated part of your taxes. I've written a lot about this on my blog. My 2017 Family Child Care Tax Workbook and Organizer goes into great detail on how to depreciate items and where they go on Form 4562. It will be available in January. The Section 179 rule hasn't changed. You can deduct in one year any item that costs less than $2,500. You must depreciate a kitchen remodeling over 39 years. You can email me with more specific questions at tomcopeland@live.com.
tenderhearts 08:35 AM 10-12-2017
Thank you Tom, I will definitely be picking up that book. Is it fairly easy move forward from things already being depreciated if I decide to do them on my own?
Also a question about the kitchen remodel, the only think we did was counter tops and back splash so I don't know if that would still fall under the 39 years. Thanks again for your help.
TomCopeland 09:42 AM 10-12-2017
Thank you Tom, I will definitely be picking up that book. Is it fairly easy move forward from things already being depreciated if I decide to do them on my own?
Also a question about the kitchen remodel, the only think we did was counter tops and back splash so I don't know if that would still fall under the 39 years. Thanks again for your help.
Yes, my book will help you. Since you didn't do a complete remodeling of your kitchen you can treat the expense as a repair and deduct your time-space % of the cost in one year.
tenderhearts 12:30 PM 10-12-2017
oh wow that's great. What is the exact title of the book?
tenderhearts 12:33 PM 10-12-2017
oh wow that's great. What is the exact title of the book?
Never mind I just saw the title in your last post. sorry
Tags:depreciation, tax preparation - own self, tom copeland
Reply Up