Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Indoor Layout
WImom 11:05 AM 05-10-2011
What seems to work best for you?

I used to have it where I had it divided somewhat which cut down on the running but gave us little room for indoor music time. I now have two additional children enrolled so I made it so almost everything was against the wall to give us more room. Now I have kids running around, harder to space out at nap time with them seeing each other but on the plus side we now having room for music time.

I'm frustrated that I can't seem to find a way that works.

Also how do you group your kids for circle time. Now that I went from 4 to 6 it seems all they do is fool around and talk over me. I currently have them on carpet squares with 3 in front and 3 in back so they can all see.
morgan24 11:14 AM 05-10-2011
I have a couple of shelf units that are on wheels. They are 4 ft long, where my room is divided there are post, I push the shelves up against the posts to separate the space and move them when I need a larger space. I don't do circle time so I'm no help with that.
melskids 11:21 AM 05-10-2011
i prefer to have "centers" with the shelves positioned "just right" to cut down on the running and rowdiness.

i have a seperate DC room.

when we want to do a full music and movement activity, we move out into the living room, and i just have to move the coffee table. thats the only time we go out there....

as far as circle, i do that in the dramatic play area, as it has the largest space, so we can still have room to do some movements with our songs.

if they are fooling around and not really engaged, i would change up your circle routine a little, and add some more action/ movement in between reading or learning times. or maybe your circle time is too long for them. some days i get 25 minutes, others, i'm lucky if i get 5.
AnythingsPossible 11:51 AM 05-10-2011
Our space isn't really divided, just our living room furniture with toy shelves against the wall.
As for circle time, I stole an idea from another provider on here and we do our circle time at the breakfast table. First thing in the morning, while they are all fresh and ready for the day. I do my "talking" bit while they are eating and we have engaging conversation when they are done.
Michael 01:28 PM 05-10-2011
More threads on Layout: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=layout
Abigail 04:08 PM 05-10-2011
In preschool we did circle time on the floor and the children had circles cut out and "laminated" with tape to keep them on the floor. The child's name was on their circle and they always sat in the same spot. We all sat together face each other in a circle and it usually lasted 15 minutes.
ChaserT27 04:18 PM 05-10-2011
I too have circle time at the table. Generally after eating breakfast but before AM snack. They seem to realize when we hit the table..it means business LOL

On occasion there is still fooling around but it is far less at the table and much more controllable.
When in an area where they are allowed to play - it is harder for the younger ones to realize they need to sit and stay still for a few minutes. Having them at the table all seated..removes the opportunity to run and play :-0)
tulip1969 07:10 AM 05-11-2011
I never thought of having circle time at the table. Great idea! That's why I love this forum!
Tags:layout
Reply Up