Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent...
jennajury 01:18 PM 11-17-2011
Why do some parents constantly "forget" when its pay day? I mean seriously? Once or twice ok but every week? I have no shyness in doing it but I shouldn't have to remind someone to pay me! Drives me insane!!!!!!
lil angels 01:21 PM 11-17-2011
I second that! I have 6 checks that I am supposed to get every thursday morn and I had to remind EVERYONE today. What's up!
jennajury 01:23 PM 11-17-2011
I know tell me about it!
AfterSchoolMom 01:27 PM 11-17-2011
That is my number ONE complaint about doing childcare. It's not like it's a surprise - payment is due every week on the same day at the same time.
Second is parents who COMPLAIN about paying, who "refuse" to pay late payment fees, and that try to nickel and dime you out of money all the time.
cheerfuldom 01:31 PM 11-17-2011
happily, I don't have this problem right now. I know that is incredibly annoying though.
greenhouse 07:12 AM 11-18-2011
DCM always "forgets" the check book
boysx5 07:29 AM 11-18-2011
the most annoying part of the job but I just say hey do you work for free
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 11-18-2011
I don't have this issue anymore either (I'm REALLY upfront about it....) but my number one biggest pet peeve were parents who gave me a check on time every time but as they walked out the door would casually throw over their shoulder "Oh, hey! Hold onto that check until Tuesday next week or it won't be good."
rbmom 11:22 AM 11-18-2011
Oh I so hate this too!! Biggest pet peeve!
DaycareMom 11:35 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have this issue anymore either (I'm REALLY upfront about it....) but my number one biggest pet peeve were parents who gave me a check on time every time but as they walked out the door would casually throw over their shoulder "Oh, hey! Hold onto that check until Tuesday next week or it won't be good."
I only get paid cash ... then they have no out!
Zoe 12:03 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Somebody tried to tell me that once. Paid on Monday, then said, "hey you should wait to cash that until Thursday." To which I said, ok, well then you'll owe me 30 dollars for being three days late. It was only a 25 dollar check, so she saw just how ridiculous she was being and made sure the money was in the account. Never asked again!
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
I only get paid cash ... then they have no out!
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Somebody tried to tell me that once. Paid on Monday, then said, "hey you should wait to cash that until Thursday." To which I said, ok, well then you'll owe me 30 dollars for being three days late. It was only a 25 dollar check, so she saw just how ridiculous she was being and made sure the money was in the account. Never asked again!
Somewhere over the last few years I did grow a backbone. This was my biggest pet peeve when I had issues with being upfront and standing up for my business.

Now, however, I cannot tell you the last time I had a conversation about money (other than this is why I charged you this or that). I am lucky enough to have built up enough of a client base that I have no qualms about doing what I need to do and expecting payment on time, every time.

I accept multiple payment options, cash, check, e-transfers, money orders, white chocolate pretzels, etc and can honestly say the last late payer I had, paid a hefty fine, received no "special" treatment and has never done it again.

Once you establish that tuition is simply non-negotiable and expected with each and every parent, there will be no more payment issues. It IS tough to set your policies and enforce them but if you don't, who will?!
mismatchedsocks 12:56 PM 11-18-2011
Mine are pretty good about it now, the only ones I have to ask are the co pay families through the state. The other families hand it to me right in morning on Friday, or I have one that has check book in the cubby! Solves that!

I do have a sporadic dad who is not in the childs life, stop by and pay me large amounts of cash whenever he feels like it, so I write a receipt for him, which he proceeds to tell me to give to mom. Feel its a court thing, but whatever.
bice99 02:10 PM 11-18-2011
That's why my families all pay on the 1st for the upcoming month! And then $25 per day (including weekends) late fee.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late payment, parents - are clueless, pay day, payment - delayed, payment - due
Reply Up