Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Let This Child Come?
Francine 05:42 AM 11-10-2010
I have a 2 yr old girl, she is usually here Wednesday-Friday but didn't come at all last week because "she had a fever". This morning the Mom calls and is on her way here but says 2 yr old just coughed and puked all over herself so she is taking her home to get her cleaned up and will keep me posted. Also said, she no longer has a fever but just has this lingering cough.

The thing is, the Dad is an ear nose and throat doctor and the Mom is some sort of Dr. but quite to stay home with the kids. It's not like I can say, take her to the Dr. and get me a Dr.'s note. What would you do?
JJPlaycare 05:48 AM 11-10-2010
If she is coughing so hard that she is puking there is NO WAY she should be comming to daycare! Did they take her to the doctor? I mean I know her dad is a doctor, but having a fever all last week and coughing like that maybe some chest xrays should be in order to rule out bronchitis/Pnemonia! Pretty sure he doesn't have that kind of machine at home!! If mom quit to stay home, then she should just stay home with her until she is healthy enough to be in daycare! How I see it is she is coughing that hard sitting in a carseat, completely unactive and puking because of it! When she is running around, playing outside and being active, it is going to cause her to cough even harder and probably causing more puking - I would say no way she needs to stay home!! Do you have a 24 hour rule, if so I would use it here, she puked! Shouldn't return until at LEAST 24 hours!! Good luck and stay strong! Easier for me to tell others what to do on this matter than to actually do it myself! LOL
SilverSabre25 05:51 AM 11-10-2010
we-ll...knowing my DD...I would have to say that if she has no other symptoms besides this cough, then she probably just coughed hard enough to throw up. That happens to people sometimes, especially if they have a sensitive gag reflex. It happens to my DD--she's been known to puke from coughing and from being too upset (like seriously wigging out about something; she did it once when she was scared to get her hair rinsed). Last night she puked from either being terrifically upset or from choking on something--I'm not sure what happened even though I was right there with her when it happened.

So, that being said, I would probably let her come, on the condition that if she pukes again she will be picked up ASAP. She probably won't. Maybe ask the mom if she feels that the puke was due to the coughing.

Yep, I know, not a popular opinion on these boards, but it is what I would do.
kitkat 06:51 AM 11-10-2010
There seems to be a lot of stuff going around, especially coughs. DS just puked last night from a coughing spasm, which he's done before. I agree with SilverSabre...I'd let the kid come, but inform mom that if it happens again, dcg needs to be picked up. If I didn't know first hand about kids puking from coughing spasms, then I probably wouldn't let dcg come. However, I know it happens, so I'd be ok with her coming. Keep in mind coughs from colds/viruses can last up to 3 weeks.
My Daycare 06:54 AM 11-10-2010
2 of my sons and I have that cough now. It just won't go away. No actual puking yet, but close.
missnikki 06:55 AM 11-10-2010
My DD has done that too. I would say to the mom that you will take her but keep a close eye on her, and if she seems 'off', you will let her know so that you can prevent anything from becoming a huge fiasco.
Gurdy 08:12 AM 11-10-2010
Hopefully, this mom will just make the right decision and call you and tell you she is keeping her home and you will not have to tell her not to bring her.

If my child puked on the way to school, they would stay home that day!!

This is one of my rules that I do not bend ever!! If dck pukes they may not come to daycare that day.
marniewon 08:52 AM 11-11-2010
So what happened? did the little girl end up coming?
SimpleMom 11:06 AM 11-11-2010
I would have to agree with SilverSabre25 on this one.
Francine 11:15 AM 11-11-2010
Yes, she did end up coming just in time for lunch and nap. Her Mom picks her up at the same time she picks her old siblings up from school so she was here from 11:30-3:15, she slept from 1:00 until 3:10. She was totally fine, she had just had a bunch of milk befoer getting in the car that morning, had a big coughing fit and puked up the milk. She is back today and I have only heard her cough a couple of times.
QualiTcare 11:17 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
we-ll...knowing my DD...I would have to say that if she has no other symptoms besides this cough, then she probably just coughed hard enough to throw up. That happens to people sometimes, especially if they have a sensitive gag reflex. It happens to my DD--she's been known to puke from coughing and from being too upset (like seriously wigging out about something; she did it once when she was scared to get her hair rinsed). Last night she puked from either being terrifically upset or from choking on something--I'm not sure what happened even though I was right there with her when it happened.

So, that being said, I would probably let her come, on the condition that if she pukes again she will be picked up ASAP. She probably won't. Maybe ask the mom if she feels that the puke was due to the coughing.

i agree - when i'm congested and need to get phlegm out - i pretty much have to cough until i puke. some people can just make that disgusting noise and get it out, but i can't. i was actually doing it just a couple weeks ago and i felt just fine w no fever. TMI, i know.
marniewon 11:20 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
Yes, she did end up coming just in time for lunch and nap. Her Mom picks her up at the same time she picks her old siblings up from school so she was here from 11:30-3:15, she slept from 1:00 until 3:10. She was totally fine, she had just had a bunch of milk befoer getting in the car that morning, had a big coughing fit and puked up the milk. She is back today and I have only heard her cough a couple of times.
Good to hear!
Former Teacher 05:47 PM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I agree
Unregistered 06:23 PM 11-11-2010
Speaking as the parent of a puker, I'd let them come. In fact, I did let one come yesterday who puked after swallowing some toothpaste. My kids pukes. The wrong food, too much food, coughing too hard, laughing too hard...thank God he's good at getting to the toilet.
Tags:fever, sick policy, sickness
Reply Up