Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hmmm...Is It Teething, Or Not Adjusting To Daycare?
Miss Lindsey 05:47 PM 01-04-2011
Ok, so I just took on a 6 month old little guy and today was his 2nd day. I was assured by mom he was a happy easy baby, loved to eat his bottles, and so I was really wasnt too worried. But yesterday and today he would NOT settle without being walked around in my arms (which mom says he is not a cuddler), and wouldnt eat more than 2 oz of his bottle and then refuse it for a good 30 minutes to an hour...being super fussy in between. Mom thinks he is teething, because last night he only slept for 5 hours and was refusing the bottle with her too.
My husband thinks he is having trouble adjusting to being in a daycare that he wasnt the only baby in, and teeth have nothing to do with it. I am worried that I wont be able to handle all the fussing. I already have a 5 month old, an 8 month old, and a 15 month old, so I cant carry and coddle him all day.

What do u guys think? Mom is so surprised that he is so fussy all the sudden, as his first 2 teeth didnt cause this much fussiness. Would a rough adjustment at daycare carry over to home as well? Or does this sound like teething? None of my kids had any trouble with teeth aside from biting and loose stools, so I dont know what to think.
nannyde 03:12 AM 01-05-2011
If he's in terrible teething pain the hold me, walk me, rock me wouldn't alleviate his pain so I doubt if it is teething.

The Mom is most likely telling you he is an easy happy baby because when she is holding, walking, and rocking he is.

I would make sure he gets a LOT of belly time during the day and when you feed him just offer him his bottle and when he's done then wait three hours to offer it again. He sounds like he needs a lot of exercise (floor time on belly and back) between feedings.

Are you sure she's not giving him a lot of baby food? He may be one of those kids who have parents that give WAY more baby food than they should have for his age and he is gassy and stuffed from it. I would find out how much she is giving him. I would also consider just giving the smallest amount of it AFTER bottles as you can legally give.

Do NOT use motion to solve this. He's showing you what a baby who has a life of adult generated motion looks like. They are terribly unhappy if they don't get it. When you hold him SIT down with him on the floor and don't rock back and forth. Hold him as much as you would like but do it sitting down without movement. Don't use swings or jumpy seats. Make sure he has a lot of time to make friends with gravity. Don't carry him ANYHWERE unless it is to litterally get him from point A to point B. Other than that stay down with him and have him on the floor as much as possible. If he needs time to fuss while you get things done then put him in his crib or pack n play on his back and let him have some time to himself.

Carrying babies around is the highest level of one to one care and the highest level of stimulation a baby COULD have. It's as far away from the floor and from the baby managing gravity on their own as it could possibly be. He's telling you THAT is his standard for happiness so it's time to show him that he CAN be very happy managing gravity on his own.
QualiTcare 04:58 AM 01-05-2011
i agree with nannyde IF it's not teething. i think he could "settle down" with being held and carried, but he wouldn't be *happy* if he were in pain.

does the mom use orajel? if not, ask her if you can try it so you can determine whether or not it's teething pain.
Miss Lindsey 05:12 AM 01-05-2011
oragel and tylenol, neither one worked. But he is continuing this behavior at home too. Even if mom is holding him and paying all kinds of attention. Still doesnt want to eat, not sleeping through the night like usual, and off and on cranky. I would think if its just about not being held and having one on one attention, he would be just fine at home...
I just dont know...but need to decide whether to term him by next week as per my 2 week "trail" as quoted in my handbook.
QualiTcare 05:22 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
oragel and tylenol, neither one worked. But he is continuing this behavior at home too. Even if mom is holding him and paying all kinds of attention. Still doesnt want to eat, not sleeping through the night like usual, and off and on cranky. I would think if its just about not being held and having one on one attention, he would be just fine at home...
I just dont know...but need to decide whether to term him by next week as per my 2 week "trail" as quoted in my handbook.
is this his first time being away from his mom. i mean, even if not, he's 6 months old and it was only his SECOND day. if it's not some "medical" issue - it could be that it's taking him time to adjust - not that he's "not adjusting." he hasn't had time to adjust. if you give in at all and hold him, etc. he won't adjust. i'd do what nannyde said and give it more time. you have until NEXT friday to decide, correct?
LaLa714 07:12 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
#1- Where are you located? That is way too many infants to have at one time. A licensed provider in MD is only allowed 2 at a time for a reason. I do agree that you shouldn't be rocking him.
#2- I have a 9 month old in care now who has taken over a MONTH of adjusting and Mondays are always the worst! She is still adjusting but it is getting better.
I also have a two week trial but its really joke since it can take 2 months to adjust and some kids will have separation issues for a very long time. I'm not allowed to give meds here so I don't know what to tell you about the teething. But I don't think thats the issue.
Miss Lindsey 07:34 AM 01-05-2011
Yeah next friday would be my notice. I will give it more time and hopefully he will adjust. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Miss Lindsey 04:40 PM 01-05-2011
Forgot to answer your question...I'm in Missouri, and I can have 4 infants per one provider, and I actually have an assistant most of the day. That's what the state allows...just not sure I can handle that many! LOL!
momatheart 05:32 PM 01-05-2011
Is he sick? Ear infection? Could be that he is getting used to his new daycare and I think that too can affect how he sleeps at home as well. JMO
Tags:adjustment period, teething
Reply Up