Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napkins At Snacks And Meals
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 12-13-2010
Do you offer them? Teach the kids to use them?

Paper or cloth?
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 12-13-2010
paper..every meal. some kids use them and some don't but all get them.
marniewon 07:34 AM 12-13-2010
I have one kid who would eat it if I gave him one....lol.
momofsix 09:51 AM 12-13-2010
They get a select-a-size (off brand though) paper towel that I cut in half so it's a square. They might use it a little, but really it's just for them to learn what to do with it b/c I wash them all up with washcloths after we eat.
Luna 10:24 AM 12-13-2010
We use cloth ones that I made for the kids. We're fancy that way
kendallina 10:28 AM 12-13-2010
Paper-everyone gets one.

Those that use cloth: How many do you have? Do you use regular store-bought cloth napkins or a different material? I like the idea of using cloth ones, as my own family doesn't really use napkins or papertowels much at all and I hate how much waste I have with the preschool as it is...
SunflowerMama 10:29 AM 12-13-2010
We use cloth too. Got some really cute ones off etsy.

I also just bought random rags and towels for other jobs. I use cloth towels/rags/napkins for everything. We never use paper towels for anything (saves so much $$).

I have enough for a few days and wash them all when I'm running low.
Luna 10:36 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Paper-everyone gets one.

Those that use cloth: How many do you have? Do you use regular store-bought cloth napkins or a different material? I like the idea of using cloth ones, as my own family doesn't really use napkins or papertowels much at all and I hate how much waste I have with the preschool as it is...
I have about 2 dozen (I have 5 dck's) and I just made them from scrap fabric I had leftover from other projects. Most are cotton, some are terry (the best) and some are polyester (not so good).
ninosqueridos 10:56 AM 12-13-2010
don't use napkins and just wipe them with a wipe when they're done eating....perhaps when they're older as most are 1 or 2 years old.
MARSTELAC 11:11 AM 12-13-2010
I use paper kind (got many donated to me by former daycare client) in addition to cutting paper towels in squares.

I prefer not to use them since I wipe kids down with wipes or paper towels after meals/snacks anyway but had a parent go ballistic for not having them at each spot.
Luna 12:45 PM 12-13-2010
I still wash their hands and faces with a wet cloth after eating. The napkins were just something I was in the habit of using with my own family and it carried on to the kids when I started doing daycare. The kids ask for them if I forget, even the 2-year-olds.
Abigail 01:42 PM 12-13-2010
For those use who wash clothes to wipe the children's faces and hands off after meals, does each child get their own throughout the day or do you use one for each meal on all the children?
Luna 03:09 PM 12-13-2010
Each child has their own throughout the day, except when I lose track of whose is who's (grammar??). Then I just grab fresh ones.
marniewon 03:49 PM 12-13-2010
I eliminate wash cloths all together and use wipes for cleanups.
momma2girls 04:03 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
For those use who wash clothes to wipe the children's faces and hands off after meals, does each child get their own throughout the day or do you use one for each meal on all the children?
I used to have one for each child, but with all the germs, flus, etc. around- I use baby wipes instead, so much easier!!!
momofsix 07:24 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Yup, each child has their own color washcloth that I use only for them.
MommyMuffin 04:13 AM 12-14-2010
If I gave my 2 2.5yos napkins they just rip them up.
I use the wash cloths but the food program says it has to be a different washcloth each time.
Little People 05:03 AM 12-14-2010
Hi, everyone I am new here!! We use napkins here and even my 16 month old uses them!
countrymom 05:12 AM 12-14-2010
I don't give them anything because they would be rediculous at meal time. When everyone is done, everyone gets a baby wipe and *I* wipe them up, it works so much better. I started doing washclothes but then it was more laundry for me and the kids wear wiping everything else down except for themselves.
grandmom 07:11 AM 12-14-2010
I use cloth.

After buying very cheap wash cloths, I cut them into 4 pieces, zig-zagged the edges. The children use the same towel to dry their hands before and after the meal. Then they go in the tub with the plates to be washed.

This has cut down on costs a lot because I no longer buy paper towels. Three rolls a day vs. 3 loads of laundry each week. I hang the mini-towels up to dry, the kids help, on the portable drying racks.
DCMomOf3 07:18 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
Hi, everyone I am new here!! We use napkins here and even my 16 month old uses them!
Hello and Welcome!!
KEG123 10:25 AM 12-14-2010
I plan to make some cloth wipes because I think that using paper would be a LOT of waste. I try to be as environmentally conscious as possible. I have a washer and dryer so I think doing laundry for those few cloth napkins should be pie.
Abigail 08:59 PM 12-14-2010
Where I work, we don't offer them. We do have paper towels in the kitchen area and in the bathroom area. Kids who make a mess can ask to get up and wash their hands, but we only have a sink in the bathroom which is in the same room. After each child finishes they are dismissed one by one to take a bathroom break and wash their hands before lying on their cots. Works well so far. We usually have ten older kids and a few younger ones.
Tags:meal napkins, meals, napkins, snacks
Reply Up