Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Freezing Cookie Dough
GretasLittleFriends 10:03 AM 11-29-2011
Do any of you make cookie dough then freeze it for later use? I know you can buy frozen dough, but homemade cookies taste so much better. I am contemplating making several batches of different types of cookie doughs, then freezing them for future use. Any suggestions, tips, warnings from personal experiences?
SilverSabre25 10:10 AM 11-29-2011
I know that you can either ball them up, freeze them individually (like on cookie sheets) and then toss them in a freezer bag, or you can make cookie dough "logs" and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap/whatever and freeze that way. I've tried freezing cookie dough with mixed success...it's still an evolving science, lol.
snbauser 10:27 AM 11-29-2011
I have a recipe that is for freezer chocolate chip cookies. They come out really good. When I make them, I make a ton of them, scoop them onto cookie sheets and freeze them. When frozen, I take them off of the cookie sheets and put them in a ziploc freezer bag. Then when I want homemade cookies, I just take them out and bake them. Yummy.
MyAngels 01:29 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I have a recipe that is for freezer chocolate chip cookies. They come out really good. When I make them, I make a ton of them, scoop them onto cookie sheets and freeze them. When frozen, I take them off of the cookie sheets and put them in a ziploc freezer bag. Then when I want homemade cookies, I just take them out and bake them. Yummy.
Any chance you could post the recipe? Pretty please? Mine never taste right after I've frozen the dough...
snbauser 02:21 PM 11-30-2011
This week is crazy. I will try to post it later tonight or tomorrow for you
MyAngels 04:45 PM 11-30-2011
Thanks so much . No hurry, though, I know how hectic it gets around the holidays.
Kaddidle Care 07:02 PM 11-30-2011
You must be able to do it. Heck, Sams club sells tubs of cookie dough - Chocolate Chip Cookies. Market Day sells pre-made cookies of all sorts. They are already formed but you have to bake them about 15 minutes as opposed to 10 minutes fresh.

My suggestion is to try it out with a half or quarter batch. I don't think it will be a problem. Just seal it well - perhaps wrap it in plastic and then a heavy duty zip lock bag.

I'm interested to see how the recipe is for the cookies that are especially formulated for freezing. I bet it's no different.

Keep us posted! It's a great idea!
snbauser 07:10 PM 11-30-2011
Here is the recipe I have. Because it is meant to be a freezer recipe it is done in large quantities.
Makes 6 dozen
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz milk chocolate chips

Assembly directions: Mix margarine/butter, sugars, vanilla, and egg. Add flour and baking soda and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips, being careful to not over stir or the batter gets tough. Drop by rounded teaspoons on cookie sheets and freeze until firm. Place dough balls into gallon freezer bags and seal, label, and freeze.
Cooking directions: Put desired amount of cookies on cookie sheet and bake at 375 deg for 10-13 minutes or until brown. Centers will be soft. Do not thaw before baking.

When I make these, I usually make 24 dozen of them and freeze
heyhun77 04:53 AM 12-01-2011
I do 14 dozen cookie dough balls for my ds's boy scout troop every month. I do like pp and scoop them onto a cookie sheet, flash freeze them and then transfer them to a large storage container until the boys need them for their monthly baking project. For them I make chocolate chip and just use the toll house recipe from the package. For personal use I also do this with sugar cookies and oatmeal raisin. I have done others but can't remember what kind they were.

Incidentally, my daycare assistant a few years ago was also a baker and is now a bakery department manager. She helped me get going on all this to make things ahead and save time when we needed them. I remember her telling me that some cookies can't tolerate the dough being frozen because of the chemistry involved.
janealb 02:38 AM 12-06-2011
Thanks for these tipps!!!
dave4him 06:46 PM 12-27-2011
how long does homemade dough last in the fridge?
Tags:cookie dough, cookies, recipe
Reply Up