Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cost of an Assistant
craftymissbeth 09:25 AM 01-17-2014
I know there is a plethora of threads about assistants, but I'm curious about whether the salary of your assistant is all you pay.

For example, if I were to hire an assistant for 20 hours per week @ $7.50 an hour... would the $150 per week pay check be ALL I would have to pay? I know there are taxes and things that employers pay, but I'd love to know how much more I would really be paying before I make the decision to hire someone.

Also, for those with an assistant... how much more than minimum wage do you pay your assistants?
DaycareMama 09:56 AM 01-17-2014
I pay my assistant $1 more than minimum wage. I wish I could pay more but can't. She is extremely reliable and understands that I can not for the life of me find a substitute. So is sooo good about coming in. So I try my best to not make her look for other work.
If I get a paid day off....so does she. We don't get paid for Christmas break but I was sure to give her a little bonus. I use a payroll company to issue her checks and with taxes and fees I generally prepare myself to make sure I have a little less then double what her pay equals.
Example: her pay was at one time $8. For 36 hours. My total withdrawal from my account was about $405. This included my payroll companies fee and an extra 15 wor workers comp so $420 a week for us
DaycareMama 09:59 AM 01-17-2014
I always plan a little high. I have a separate account used mostly for her payroll. If I plan high and its not used then it stays in the account for a week I may need a little extra.

When I gave her a raise I called my payroll company and within a minute she was able to tell me what the exact amount to be debited from my account would be. There should be wage rate charts listed online somewhere
itlw8 02:54 PM 01-17-2014
Unemployment ins workmans comp ins employers 1/2 of SS taxes
Tags:assistant, assistant - taxes
Reply Up