Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nanny During Daycare?
NillaWafers 09:15 AM 01-27-2017
Does anyone know how legal this is?

My eldest son needs to be picked up from school. We've tried asking other parents but 80% of them aren't native speakers. I was forced to hire an assistant on very short notice cus we had no way to get him, husbands new job wanted him to start immediately. Assistant left me in a lurch withou two weeks notice, so now I have three days to find someone to get him.

Would a nanny who's sole responsibility be my own children, be able to work at the daycare? I am not planning on leaving to cpr and first aid isn't required. I just don't know if I could do this since I have other kids on the property. I'm sure an analyst would argue that I'm just trying to skirt around paperwork but I really would just like someone to watch my kids.

Still trying to think of other options. It's two blocks (the school, so hop skip drive is kinda overkill for that distance)
jenboo 09:18 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Does anyone know how legal this is?

My eldest son needs to be picked up from school. We've tried asking other parents but 80% of them aren't native speakers. I was forced to hire an assistant on very short notice cus we had no way to get him, husbands new job wanted him to start immediately. Assistant left me in a lurch withou two weeks notice, so now I have three days to find someone to get him.

Would a nanny who's sole responsibility be my own children, be able to work at the daycare? I am not planning on leaving to cpr and first aid isn't required. I just don't know if I could do this since I have other kids on the property. I'm sure an analyst would argue that I'm just trying to skirt around paperwork but I really would just like someone to watch my kids.

Still trying to think of other options. It's two blocks (the school, so hop skip drive is kinda overkill for that distance)
In my state, my own kids count anytime they are on the property regardless of who is watching them.
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
In my state, my own kids count anytime they are on the property regardless of who is watching them.
Same here. As long as they are physically on the property they count in our ratios.
sharlan 09:40 AM 01-27-2017
Kids count as long as they are on the property in CA. The nanny still has to be under your license as she will also be on the property. No way to skirt around that.

Better to find a stay at home mom to pick your son up. I have a friend that does school pick up and drops off at home. The SA kids don't go to her house at all. Check and see if someone provides transportation in your area.
NillaWafers 09:52 AM 01-27-2017
I'm not trying to skirt around ratios and would stay within my current ratio. What I want to know is if she is on site, taking care of MY children, am I required to EMPLOY her as a daycare employee, or a personal employee?

As far as I know someone who just is on site on a regular basis is only required to have a livescan and no CPR as long as one person on site has training (I would).
NillaWafers 09:55 AM 01-27-2017
Also wanted to mention that I have tried talking to our school, talking to his teacher, talking to parents who walk home from the school (there are NOT many english speakers at this school), and we haven't found anyone.
CityGarden 10:06 AM 01-27-2017
My understanding is the same as Sharlan's. You can hire a nanny to be with your son (pick him up / drop him off) or have him off property with them but if they are on your property they need to be legit as an employee.

I am in a similar situation in a week I have 2 families with children staying for an extended day which means I can not longer make it for school pick up. Hop Skip Drive changed their fee structure and are now even more $$$$.

They way my program is structured I really need an assistant but I cannot justify it until I have full enrollment so I am most likely just going to hire a college student to transport my dd from school home.
Blackcat31 10:08 AM 01-27-2017
uber?

Seriously...is there any type of "service" in your area that you could hire? Like a taxi or private driver?

I don't know your area so I am unsure of what options there is but I would think that one should be able to hire a driver or some sort.

Also what about finding an after-school program he could attend and then when you are off work you can go get him? We have a local YMCA kids club option for kids that need somewhere to hang out after school until their parent can pick up.
MarinaVanessa 10:10 AM 01-27-2017
In CA anyone over the age of 18 is required to have a background check, tb test and have certain vaccines in order to volunteer, work or be at the daycare regularly.

I think what you're saying is that if you hire a nanny would you have to take care of all payroll aspects like deductions, unemployment etc. Am I right?

I could see how you'd have a hard time convincing someone that your nanny isn't an employee at your daycare. You could have the nanny background checked, tb tested and vaccinated just so she can be around the children and hire her temporarily.

You mentioned your assistant leaving you in the lurch, are you planning on finding a replacement? If you are you could probably hire a nanny to help out while you find a replacement and then discontinue her services once you find a permanent daycare assistant.

Or you can have the nanny pick up your own kids and take them to her home and then drop them off to your house later (or hire her just to pick up your kids and drop them off at your house).
NillaWafers 10:14 AM 01-27-2017
Yes, I'm looking into just having them drop off for like 50/week. Our community is really nonexistent here. SkipHopDrive is too much $$. Uber will not serve anyone under 18.

MIght start a listing just looking for transportation on Care.com as I need someone to just pick him up and drop him off.

It would have been nice to have a break during the day though, so I honestly would love an assistant.
happymom 10:51 AM 01-27-2017
How old is he? You said 2 blocks away, would that mean only crossing one street? Two streets?

Just curious if he could walk home either by himself or with friends.
NillaWafers 11:00 AM 01-27-2017
He is 6. He has to cross two streets (side) to get home.

I don't think the school would let him do that (walk home).

Plus people drive really terribly here and there are NO crossing guards.
happymom 11:05 AM 01-27-2017
Yeah he's pretty little for that, for sure. Hope you find something that works for you!
CityGarden 12:58 PM 01-27-2017
Since it is only 2 blocks what about investing in a group stroller and adding a daily walk at the time so you can walk to pick up your son.
daycare 10:13 PM 01-27-2017
When my son was in kinder I hired a college student to pick up my child every day. I paid her minimum wage per day plus she always came in for snack. She really only needed to work the 10 minutes to pick up and drop off but she really loved my son and ended up coming in to have snack with him every day some days she would even start home work with him. I feel in love with her and 2 months in have her a raise to $15 a day. It was enough to pay her fun she needed while in school full time.

Guess what... she still works for me..... 4 years later

To answer your question daycare or not a nanny is still an employee.

Our school is also about 1.5 blocks but the roads are not safe.
I would ask around at church or look place an add on care.com

My very part time driver worked for me part time for 3 years and is now a substitute who has been a life saver in many cases. Adore every last bit of her. And my son still loves her at age 9...
284878 02:59 PM 01-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
uber?

Seriously...is there any type of "service" in your area that you could hire? Like a taxi or private driver?

I don't know your area so I am unsure of what options there is but I would think that one should be able to hire a driver or some sort.

Also what about finding an after-school program he could attend and then when you are off work you can go get him? We have a local YMCA kids club option for kids that need somewhere to hang out after school until their parent can pick up.
One of my foster children had to be transported to and from a school system that did not have enough buses. When I said that I could not make to the school in time for p/u and d/o due to the sibling attending another school district. The school district said they would just send a taxi then. I said no! Contacted my sister and she drove the child. (they had to pay my sister, per state law)
Meeko 05:17 PM 01-29-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Since it is only 2 blocks what about investing in a group stroller and adding a daily walk at the time so you can walk to pick up your son.
I like this idea too. Group strollers are expensive, but not as expensive over time as hiring someone. The daycare kids would probably love it. Daycare parents would just have to know that you would be gone daily from X time to X time.
CityGarden 05:17 PM 01-29-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
My very part time driver worked for me part time for 3 years and is now a substitute who has been a life saver in many cases. Adore every last bit of her. And my son still loves her at age 9...
Not a bad idea, to have the option of them also being a substitute.
Tags:nanny - part time, substitute
Reply Up