Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Wise
Msdunny 05:41 AM 09-24-2019
Does anyone have a parent who uses the Baby Wise system to schedule their infants day? If so, do you strictly stick to it, or modify it for your care?

Now for the back story. I have a 2 month old I accepted because I also have her older sibling. Mom is using BW and has given me the schedule. Yesterday, infant slept an hour longer than schedule allows, and I didn’t wake her. So she ate an hour later, but was back on schedule by the end of day. Mom asked about the day, and I was honest. Today, after drop off, I received a text asking me to keep her on schedule so that when others care for her she is on schedule. i get that, but i also don’t like waking a sleeping baby.

Thoughts? How would you handle this? I really wish I hadn’t taken an infant.
Ac114 05:48 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Does anyone have a parent who uses the Baby Wise system to schedule their infants day? If so, do you strictly stick to it, or modify it for your care?

Now for the back story. I have a 2 month old I accepted because I also have her older sibling. Mom is using BW and has given me the schedule. Yesterday, infant slept an hour longer than schedule allows, and I didn’t wake her. So she ate an hour later, but was back on schedule by the end of day. Mom asked about the day, and I was honest. Today, after drop off, I received a text asking me to keep her on schedule so that when others care for her she is on schedule. i get that, but i also don’t like waking a sleeping baby.

Thoughts? How would you handle this? I really wish I hadn’t taken an infant.
I’ve never heard of baby wise but a 2 month old creates their own schedule. You can make tweaks here and there but I would not wake a sleeping baby either. And quite frankly, I do what works for me. You either like it or you don’t.
Cat Herder 05:53 AM 09-24-2019
I don't change our program schedule for clients. If they chose group care on purpose why would they have the audacity to ask for anything else? Next.
hwichlaz 04:09 PM 09-24-2019
Baby wise has caused many cases of FTT. NO i will NOT have anything to do with it. The AAP is split on whether it's okay to use or not.
rosieteddy 05:39 AM 09-25-2019
You did totally the right thing letting baby sleep..the mom wants complete control then she needs to stay home or hire a nanny.Group care is run differently.I would offer to use her schedule as a guide
Ariana 06:11 AM 09-25-2019
Wow waking a sleeping baby to keep them on schedule??

I would definitely be telling mom that this is not developmentally appropriate and I am not doing it.
Cat Herder 06:28 AM 09-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Wow waking a sleeping baby to keep them on schedule??

I would definitely be telling mom that this is not developmentally appropriate and I am not doing it.
Right??

Infants have no schedule, other than their own, until 12 months, here. I can't imagine. Their growth, nutrition, and sleep needs are not the same day by day.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 09-25-2019
I am required by licensing to feed an infant on demand.
a strict sleeping and eating schedule would not work here.
knoxmomof2 08:23 AM 09-25-2019
Yeah, no..... Under a year, they set their schedule. I feed on demand, they nap on demand, etc. Most babies develop a pretty steady routine, it's just not cookie cutter. Once they're a year, they follow my schedule, except I do let them keep that AM nap until they've outgrown it. I have a separate nap room so it doesn't bother me either way.

Just let her know that you follow baby's lead and feed, nap, etc on demand until a year. If she wants to regiment her baby's schedule, she needs to stay at home with her or hire a nanny. Did she tell you about this beforehand?
Snowmom 08:29 AM 09-25-2019
Wow. Parenting just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
Ms.Kay 08:40 AM 09-25-2019
Just another "band wagon" to jump on. Without having looked into much info...I see the book was written by 2 men....one being a pediatrician.. ..so I would like to know how many babies they have raised....hands on experience....from birth...on a 24/7 basis. IMO
Msdunny 09:09 AM 09-25-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
Yeah, no..... Under a year, they set their schedule. I feed on demand, they nap on demand, etc. Most babies develop a pretty steady routine, it's just not cookie cutter. Once they're a year, they follow my schedule, except I do let them keep that AM nap until they've outgrown it. I have a separate nap room so it doesn't bother me either way.

Just let her know that you follow baby's lead and feed, nap, etc on demand until a year. If she wants to regiment her baby's schedule, she needs to stay at home with her or hire a nanny. Did she tell you about this beforehand?
She did tell me she was working on a schedule to ‘try to help me out’ which i appreciated. Now it seems as if if she wants the schedule to make her life simpler. I just did what worked for me yesterday.
LittleExplorers 10:10 AM 09-25-2019
I don't know what babywiswe is, but I would suggest mom finds a nanny if that's what she is looking for.

Why didn't she talk to yu when you told her how the day went instead of texting when she got home?

The only infant I have kept on a schedule was a feeding schedule for a little guy who was under weight and had a medical reason to do so.
Tags:babywise, death, failure to thrive, low weight, malnutrition, poor growth, routine, schedule, schedule - examples
Reply Up