Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Are Joking Right?!?!?!
Kcole1075 08:26 AM 01-27-2014
I was taking a kidnder to school and we passed a building that looks like his doctors office. He said my mom took me there because I had a fever. I said oh really you're sick? He told me about his fever and bubble gum medicine and his trip to the doctors. And how he didn't have to take the medicine this morning. I told him that if he feels yucky at school to have them call someone to get him. He said nope I will be fine I am just going to shut my mouth about it.

I just sent out my sickness exclusion policy two weeks ago. This is my favorite family but if they were so worried about him to tell him not to play with sister because she will get sick and to keep the whole family home from church they should have kept him home today too.

Ok rant over! I wm going to bring up what he said to mom today at pick up
taylorw1210 08:43 AM 01-27-2014
I know my own kids and my DCKs in that age group have a really poor sense of time, and when we pass certain place they've been to they recall a memory and claim it happened recently when it did not. Could this possibly be the situation, since he said he didn't have to take medicine this morning?
daycare 08:46 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I know my own kids and my DCKs in that age group have a really poor sense of time, and when we pass certain place they've been to they recall a memory and claim it happened recently when it did not. Could this possibly be the situation, since he said he didn't have to take medicine this morning?
I was thinking the same exact thing. My own son does that all the time. He has been to Mc Donalds once in his whole life and he told my In-laws that we take him there all the time.
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I was thinking the same exact thing. My own son does that all the time. He has been to Mc Donalds once in his whole life and he told my In-laws that we take him there all the time.
LOL! I have a DCG (age 5) that just told me the other day that she is going to Disneyland next week with her grandma.

She already went over Christmas.
Kcole1075 08:49 AM 01-27-2014
This might be but he talked about not going to church yesterday "because he didnt want to get the other kids sick" and his neck hurting which he was complaing about on Friday. He is pretty good about knowing his church days because he like to have a routine.

He could have had it saturday I guess and missed church the day after. But he is usually really good about these things.

I am still gonna ask mom at pick up. Usually if brother gets sick sister is behind him by a day or two.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Kcole1075:
This might be but he talked about not going to church yesterday "because he didnt want to get the other kids sick" and his neck hurting which he was complaing about on Friday. He is pretty good about knowing his church days because he like to have a routine.
I'd still mention it to the parent at pick up.

Their behavior should tell you everything you want to know
littlemissmuffet 10:06 AM 01-27-2014
My nieces and nephew talk about all kinds of things that happened last week or yesterday...but really happened a year or more ago.
If you are concerned he's sick currently just give mom a call.
Kcole1075 12:42 PM 01-27-2014
When taking an underarm temp do you guys add a degree. I havr read that you should but I have never done it. Little Sister is at 99.5 . Shr is very cranky right now and doesn't seem like she feels good. I'm probably going to call mom.
TaylorTots 12:56 PM 01-27-2014
Auxillary temps need to add a degree. Otherwise they are not accurate. So her temp is 100+. Call mom.
Kcole1075 01:10 PM 01-27-2014
Already called mom. Dcg is usually a drama queen but her fits started getting extreme and her and brother didn't eat lunch.

I just got a text from another mom who I do a pick up for and she said I dont need to pick up dcb because he has a fever. It must be something they all have.
Kcole1075 05:18 PM 01-27-2014
Mom picker up telling me brother has strep they found out yesterday and got medicine for it. Which explains why he was complaining about his neck hurting on friday.

Now I am not sure what to tell the other parents. I want to send out a notice saying to watch your child for symptoms but not cause a panic because the incubation period should be close to over if not over already.
TwinKristi 05:47 PM 01-27-2014
Of he'd been on antibiotics for 24hrs then he's no longer contagious but was Friday. I guess it depends on your sick/meds policy and such. I think it's kind of lame to not let you know he WAS sick and on meds already. Ya know? What if he had a reaction to the meds? I'm ok with accepting kids who are on meds and otherwise ok, but I want to know! My kids got strep a few times at DC when they were 2-4ish.
Kcole1075 06:21 PM 01-27-2014
I am a little mad I wasn't told about the medicine. But as long as he is not contagious and I am not administering medicine I am fine.

I did send out a text to my other parents about someone having strep just because sister is now showing fever symptoms and I had another stay home with a fever today. I am very paranoid about this spreading. Last year as a nanny I got it because one of the kids got it and everyone got it! !

Five days from friday would be about Wednesday so I will be on high alert all week.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 01-28-2014
My policies state that a parent MUST notify the provider is ANYONE in the household has a contagious illness.

Keeps us proactive verses reactive.

In your case, mom would have had to notify me that DCB had strep. Even if he is clear to return to care, she would still have had to notify me of it.
Kcole1075 08:29 AM 01-28-2014
I am going to have to put that in black cat. Usually parents tell me and this family has told me before but I think they were worried about me saying he had to stay home.
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Kcole1075:
I am going to have to put that in black cat. Usually parents tell me and this family has told me before but I think they were worried about me saying he had to stay home.
So they omit this information on purpose? That isn't any better than lying about it.

Why is it so hard for parents to just be honest about stuff?

If they truly feared you would exclude him from care, then he probably should have stayed home. If he had been on antibiotics for more than 24 hours and your policy states that, then why worry about it....they should have just told you.

I swear parents make their experience with child care a tough one because they aren't honest with themselves or their providers in doing what's best for their child.

*sigh* this has been my number one complaint about parents.

I don't know how to be clearer to them upon enrollment.
We are working TOGETHER!!

Maybe admission to child care should include a basic comprehension test.
DaycareMom 08:42 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So they omit this information on purpose? That isn't any better than lying about it.

Why is it so hard for parents to just be honest about stuff?

If they truly feared you would exclude him from care, then he probably should have stayed home. If he had been on antibiotics for more than 24 hours and your policy states that, then why worry about it....they should have just told you.

I swear parents make their experience with child care a tough one because they aren't honest with themselves or their providers in doing what's best for their child.

*sigh* this has been my number one complaint about parents.

I don't know how to be clearer to them upon enrollment.
We are working TOGETHER!!

Maybe admission to child care should include a basic comprehension test.
That is actually a great idea!
Kcole1075 09:15 PM 01-29-2014
Another just got diagnosed with strep. I am on day two of fever my throat started hurting today. Looks like its a strep test for me too.
CraftyMom 09:25 PM 01-30-2014
I hate when parents aren't honest about their children's illnesses. I have updated my illness policy several times in the past year. It now states that not telling me about illnesses is the same as lying to me which is grounds for termination in my handbook. I hate that it has come to this but it happens too often. Parents don't want to take a day off and don't consider everyone else involved. One sick child turns into 6 children plus their families being sick and losing time from work. And eventually I will get it and the parent will have to take a day off anyway. Most importantly when a child is sick they just want Mommy or Daddy. I can not care for a sick child and comfort him and still take care of 5 other kids at the same time. Parents have no consideration
Tags:illness policy
Reply Up