Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Best Way To Conduct Interviews For Potential Clients
PeanutsGalore 09:36 PM 03-17-2011
I have one full-timer, and I'm looking for two more. I've done a couple of test interviews for experience, and I've done some part time gigs for the experience. I'm comfortable now with turning down work and interviews with people who I know will not be a fit for me and my kiddos. I'm setting up new interviews over the next few weeks and I'm wondering how to best convey what it is I offer and figure out who the best fit would be.

Basically , I need to find a kid with the right temperament to fit in with my own child and my full time child. They are both good kids, but they are both high-maintenance kids. How do I convey what I need to clients without sounding like I can't handle another kid? Should I just not say anything or say as little as possible and use my judgment on whether or not to accept the client based on how the parents work with their kid at home and how the kid behaves during the interview?

My other big concern is parents not telling me the complete truth, whether on purpose or not. I know that kids behave differently in daycare and parents have no clue about that, but I'm running into blatant lies and don't know how to combat it. The last one was this: I told the parent my nap schedule during the interview and she assured me that her kid napped at the same time--she just needed to be rocked to sleep. Well, that did not turn out to be the case. Even when the baby was exhausted, she fought being rocked to sleep. I got kicked...a lot. Upon pickup, her mom asked me if she had napped, and when I told her no, she said..."yeah, she hasn't been napping for the past few weeks at all. I think it's because of the teething."

Now, I knew she was teething, but not having the option of letting her CIO made my life difficult. And I did not like being kicked. It would have been helpful to have the correct info upfront in order for me to know whether or not I could do the job adequately without disrupting my current routine, all the other kids in the house, and working my last nerves!

I would appreciate any advice!
daycare 09:51 PM 03-17-2011
Do u currently offer a paid two week trail before a contract?
PeanutsGalore 10:05 PM 03-17-2011
No...but I can change my contract however, which is why I'm asking for ideas now.
Meyou 02:22 AM 03-18-2011
Do a 2 week probationary period where you or the parents can decide it isn't a good fit if necessary.

You should also be very frank about your parenting philosophies in the interview. If you don't believe in or don't have time to rock a child to sleep 2 or 3 times a day then say so for example. Parents that don't agree with how you do things won't chose you for a provider and those that do agree will be happy to have found someone that matches them.
nannyde 03:25 AM 03-18-2011
I do a series of three interviews.

http://www.nanshouse.com/theinterviewprocess.htm

I like to take my time when I'm interviewing and get to know the family. I just interview a couple of families a year so I'm not super great at it but I try to rally and just remember how important it is to get to know them and them to get to know me.

Spending TIME with them is so important to me. By the time we all decide this will work we are all comfortable. I like to know their family history including their family of origin, their work history, their experience with their own children if they have any, their vision of the babysitter/parent relationship, and the core areas I serve which are food, exercise, supervision, discipline, good deep sleep, group relationships, and lovin

I don't limit the possibility of interviewing. If they want five of them I will do it. I want us to be square on day one with everything conceivable we can work out.

I also want to KNOW they have read my policies and my website. I know this from the convo's we have. It makes me feel like they honor the business when they take the time to read the whole website. That endears them to me a lot.
PeanutsGalore 01:19 PM 03-18-2011
Thanks all; I will put a 2-week trial in my contract. I think that's a really good way to figure out if kids are a fit or not.

Nan--I like your website. You all did a lovely job on it. I don't usually do 3 interviews, but I'll consider it.
Tags:interview, interview - questions
Reply Up