Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Feeding a Breastfed Baby
happymom 03:31 PM 11-30-2015
My 7 week old has been in daycare for two weeks now. I send him 3 prepared bottles of about 3ish oz pumped milk each day, so all daycare has to do is warm and feed.

The breastfeeding guidelines say he should have 1-1.25oz of breastmilk for each hour he is away, so I have been sending the low end of that (9oz for 8.5 hours) --- he is dropped off with a full belly and he nurses as soon as we get home.

I take the bottles home and wash/refill each day. 4 out of his 7 days in care so far he was sent home full bottle that he was never offered. These days he has only had 6oz of milk. He is sleeping through his morning (10:30am) feeding and not being fed until 12pm (I drop off at 8:30), and only 1 day so far he has drank all of the milk I have sent. I'd rather send too much milk than not enough.

The daycare uses a form that asks how many oz to feed him (3oz), how many hours between feedings (2-3hrs) and whether to wake him from a nap to feed him (no). My daycare is super accomodating and will really do any kind of feeding requests (within reason I'm sure).

So I know it's a parental discression thing, but should I change his chart so that he will be awoken to eat in the morning or just let him be and if he only finishes 6oz so-be-it? I'm sure he'd let them know if he was over hungry....right?

He's not a typical 1 month old either. He is awake long stretches and sleeps long stretches. It's not uncommon for him to sleep or be awake for a 5-7 hour stretch. I just don't know whether to trust my gut or trust what the breastfeeding sources say....also my mom and mom friends are appauled that he isn't being fed nearly often enough. What do you think?
bklsmum 05:29 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
My 7 week old has been in daycare for two weeks now. I send him 3 prepared bottles of about 3ish oz pumped milk each day, so all daycare has to do is warm and feed.

The breastfeeding guidelines say he should have 1-1.25oz of breastmilk for each hour he is away, so I have been sending the low end of that (9oz for 8.5 hours) --- he is dropped off with a full belly and he nurses as soon as we get home.

I take the bottles home and wash/refill each day. 4 out of his 7 days in care so far he was sent home full bottle that he was never offered. These days he has only had 6oz of milk. He is sleeping through his morning (10:30am) feeding and not being fed until 12pm (I drop off at 8:30), and only 1 day so far he has drank all of the milk I have sent. I'd rather send too much milk than not enough.

The daycare uses a form that asks how many oz to feed him (3oz), how many hours between feedings (2-3hrs) and whether to wake him from a nap to feed him (no). My daycare is super accomodating and will really do any kind of feeding requests (within reason I'm sure).

So I know it's a parental discression thing, but should I change his chart so that he will be awoken to eat in the morning or just let him be and if he only finishes 6oz so-be-it? I'm sure he'd let them know if he was over hungry....right?

He's not a typical 1 month old either. He is awake long stretches and sleeps long stretches. It's not uncommon for him to sleep or be awake for a 5-7 hour stretch. I just don't know whether to trust my gut or trust what the breastfeeding sources say....also my mom and mom friends are appauled that he isn't being fed nearly often enough. What do you think?
I was a breastfeeding mom of 3 and I never woke a baby to feed them. As a daycare provider I would if it was requested but if I was asked my opinion I would say to let the baby sleep and feed him when he wakes up. If at his next check up he is losing weight or not hitting his milestones then it could be time to take another look but absent that I would let him sleep.
sahm1225 05:59 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I was a breastfeeding mom of 3 and I never woke a baby to feed them. As a daycare provider I would if it was requested but if I was asked my opinion I would say to let the baby sleep and feed him when he wakes up. If at his next check up he is losing weight or not hitting his milestones then it could be time to take another look but absent that I would let him sleep.
This. I would offer to wake up the baby if the parent ashes but normally, I would let the baby sleep. At your next well baby visit, I would ask your doctor. My youngest wasn't gaining enough so we were told to wake her up if it was more than 2 hours between feelings.

Maybe your little one is getting more from your morning nursing session (maybe 4oz) and then the same from the evening one?
Another thing to remember is that their milk needs will vary. He might just take the 2oz now but in a few weeks he might need 6oz for one and 2oz for another!
laundrymom 07:28 PM 11-30-2015
I feed all babies on demand. As much as they want. I would require 20-30 ounces of frozen BM in 2 oz portions to keep here. I would require you to replace Each morning the milk baby drinks the day before.
I'm a super crunchy/old school daycare provider who lets a baby decide when and how much. Sometimes a baby will eat 3 oz. sometimes 5. Each feed is different. I suggest letting baby decide on when they eat. As long as he is growing right of course.
happymom 08:16 PM 11-30-2015
Thank you for you input. He cluster feeds in the evenings with me, I don't really have doubts that he's not getting enough overall...but it hasn't been enough time yet to tell if he's not gaining weight properly.

All of his weight checks so far have been on track. I also keep frozen milk at the daycare for times he needs more, my freezer stash is huge. He was awake for an early feeding today and drank all the milk I sent!!
Lovisa 09:16 PM 11-30-2015
As long as weight looks fine, I wouldn't worry! As a provider, I liked having a nice little frozen stash for the breastfed babies I cared for. I just felt better knowing it was there just in case. The moms usually would bring several frozen bags a day and I would put them right back int he freezer and take them out as needed.

Breastfed babes tend to cluster feed (like you mentioned) and are pretty good at making up for when they are away from mom. How are his wet diapers during the day? That is another good indicator.
Tags:breast-fed, breastfeeding
Reply Up