Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Time Of The Day Do You Hold Interviews?
permanentvacation 05:24 PM 06-30-2011
I hold my interviews in the evenings after all of my daycare children have gone home. This allows me to focus on the interview and their child rather than trying to tend to my daycare children while trying to hold an interview. However, a couple of parents have said they want to be able to interview during the day so they can see me interacting with the children. So I was wondering if other providers hold interviews during the day while their daycare children are still there and if so, if it goes smoothly or not.
daycare 05:30 PM 06-30-2011
this has been a huge topic here on the form.
I always do tours after hours and have never allowed people in my DC during DC hours when children are present.
However, I have lost several people to not allowing them come to see my program. I think what i am going to do now is hold a tour first after hours so that they can ask any quesitons they may have, then allow for the parent and child to come for a 10-20 min visit during the DC time so that they can see my program. I asked all of my friends who have kids and most of them said that they would not sign thier kid up without seeing the program first.
However, not every ask to come for a tour during dc hours....I think that I will wait to be asked and then schedule it that way...
GotKids 05:31 PM 06-30-2011
For my first interview I do it after hours. I use that time to answer questions and explain policies. If the parents do want to see me interact with the children I offer to let them come back and observe with the understanding I can not interact with them. During working hours my focus has to be the children. I have offered this and not once have I been taken up on it and always landed the client. I think they just need to know I have nothing to hide.
Maddy'sMommy 05:32 PM 06-30-2011
I hold interviews in the evening. Usually at 7:00 pm so we can eat dinner and clean up first.

After the initial evening interview, I have allowed one parent to come in for a play date during the week to see how the daycare runs. I do let them know that it's not the time to ask questions or have lengthy discussions because my full attention will be on the children.
Crazy8 05:37 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
For my first interview I do it after hours. I use that time to answer questions and explain policies. If the parents do want to see me interact with the children I offer to let them come back and observe with the understanding I can not interact with them. During working hours my focus has to be the children. I have offered this and not once have I been taken up on it and always landed the client. I think they just need to know I have nothing to hide.
this is exactly what I do. I've sometimes had them come back just to see me "in action" but often they don't need to.
sharlan 05:41 PM 06-30-2011
I do it whenever it is convenient for the parents. Most have come in the evening, then again during the day to observe.
Meeko 07:31 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I hold my interviews in the evenings after all of my daycare children have gone home. This allows me to focus on the interview and their child rather than trying to tend to my daycare children while trying to hold an interview. However, a couple of parents have said they want to be able to interview during the day so they can see me interacting with the children. So I was wondering if other providers hold interviews during the day while their daycare children are still there and if so, if it goes smoothly or not.
All interviews after hours. They need to bring their child.

They should be focused on how I interact with THEIR child.

How I interact with other people's children is none of their business. My relationship with each child is unique..

They should ask questions, get lots of references and TALK IN LENGTH TO THEIR CHILD ABOUT THEIR DAY once care has begun. Sadly...this doesn't happen enough. Mom and Dad see Miss Provider on her best behavior...so figure all is well in daycare land and never bother to ask the most important person....THEIR OWN CHILD how they like it...what they did etc. They THINK they saw Mary Poppins...so they are happy.

Standing around at staring at someone is NEVER, EVER a true reading of how they really act. The worst provider in the world is going to put on a good act if she's being stared at.

I let my kids tell their parents how much fun they have. They see them want to stay and not go home. They see them hug me and tell me they love me. The kids call me on the weekends just to say hello sometimes! That means so much more than standing in a corner and staring at me before they even enroll their child!

Unless they hate me the second they lay eyes on me, there has got to be some trust!

I like one on one conversation with the parents. I want their undivided attention and they should want mine. Can't be done during day care hours. parents are paying me to watch their kids, not chat with adults.
sharlan 08:18 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
All interviews after hours. They need to bring their child.

They should be focused on how I interact with THEIR child.

How I interact with other people's children is none of their business. My relationship with each child is unique..

They should ask questions, get lots of references and TALK IN LENGTH TO THEIR CHILD ABOUT THEIR DAY once care has begun. Sadly...this doesn't happen enough. Mom and Dad see Miss Provider on her best behavior...so figure all is well in daycare land and never bother to ask the most important person....THEIR OWN CHILD how they like it...what they did etc. They THINK they saw Mary Poppins...so they are happy.

Standing around at staring at someone is NEVER, EVER a true reading of how they really act. The worst provider in the world is going to put on a good act if she's being stared at.

I let my kids tell their parents how much fun they have. They see them want to stay and not go home. They see them hug me and tell me they love me. The kids call me on the weekends just to say hello sometimes! That means so much more than standing in a corner and staring at me before they even enroll their child!

Unless they hate me the second they lay eyes on me, there has got to be some trust!

I like one on one conversation with the parents. I want their undivided attention and they should want mine. Can't be done during day care hours. parents are paying me to watch their kids, not chat with adults.
I so agree that parents do not ask the kids enough about their day. I know when my kids were in daycare I didn't. It wasn't until after the fact that I found out they never ate inside the house, only outside on the patio regardless of the weather. Or balloons put under my 3 yo's shirt and darts thrown at her. Or locked out front alone from 9-12 and 1-4 at 2 & 4 yrs because they were too noisy. (Can anyone guess why I quit my high paying job and started doing daycare?)
Meeko 06:56 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I so agree that parents do not ask the kids enough about their day. I know when my kids were in daycare I didn't. It wasn't until after the fact that I found out they never ate inside the house, only outside on the patio regardless of the weather. Or balloons put under my 3 yo's shirt and darts thrown at her. Or locked out front alone from 9-12 and 1-4 at 2 & 4 yrs because they were too noisy. (Can anyone guess why I quit my high paying job and started doing daycare?)
Exactly. You eventually learned what was happening. But I bet the day care provider was on her best behavior while you talked to her and while you watched her. Interviewing is actually a gamble at best.

As day care providers...how many of us have interviewed what appeared to be a great client, only to find out they were a total flake who disregarded every policy in your contract? I'm going to guess most of us.

It's the same with parents who feel they MUST see the provider in action. It's all nonsense. They will not see a true picture. Only time and their child will tell how good the fit is.
daycare 08:28 AM 07-01-2011
I once did a reverse calendar. What I did was instead of telling the parents what we did that day, I asked a question on each day of the week relating to our lessons. EX where do pigs live? the parents were supposed to ask thier children and write it down on the calendar. out of 7 families 1 did it.

so I never did it again. I now send out a weekly email on Friday about what we will be doing the next week. I include songs we will sing and books we will read. NONE of the parents EVER know what is going on..............
It's a waste of time really, but i still do it...
countrymom 06:30 PM 07-01-2011
I now do interviews only at 130pm its nap time and no children are present. I got sick and tired of the no shows after hours and wrecking my family time (and its hard to get rid of 4 kids for interviews) it works out great. They know they can stay only for a little bit and thats it. I like meeting the children too but sometimes its not possible.
SilverSabre25 07:53 PM 07-01-2011
My heart is hurting for your poor kids! OMG, how awful! And how awful for you knowing that they had to endure those things (wth is up with the dart thing?! That's just weird and awful!) I'm so sorry that happened!
wdmmom 07:25 AM 07-05-2011
I do things a little bit differently.

I set up what I call "Informational Interviews" for the first appointment. Bringing their child is optional. (Although it's usually helpful because I can get a good idea right away if he/she would be a good fit or not. ) I will make exceptions if my assistant is here to do these because they usually take 30 minutes or less. Otherwise I will schedule in the evenings.

If I hear back, I will schedule a 2nd interview where they must bring their child. These interviews are only scheduled after 5pm.

A 3rd interview will consist of a tour of the lower level and a time for them to place deposit and provide me with a start date. Because this only takes 15 minutes or less, I try to accommodate a parents schedule but usually suggest late afternoon/evening.
nannyde 09:16 AM 07-05-2011
4:30 p.m. on Monday or Thursday.

I work later those days already and have a few kids in the house on those days.

I like to interview when I have some clients coming in and out and have my staff assistant here.
permanentvacation 01:07 PM 07-05-2011
I like NannyD's idea. I have had an interview or two when I had one or two kids left and the parents were picking up their children. It gave the child on the interview a few minutes to play with the other kids here, let their parents seeing that they could make new friends, and when my parents picked up, they told my interview how much they liked me and told them that they should hire me.

I feel a little funny having the interview interupted by the parents picking up. If the parents picking up wanted to talk to me about something, they don't feel comfortable doing so, and even though it is helpful and nice, I feel funny with my parents complimenting me to the parents on the interview with me right there.

But maybe the pluses outweight the negatives. I just might start holding interviews just before closing time and see how it goes.
AmandasFCC 01:11 PM 07-05-2011
I hold interviews in the evenings, around 5pm, when all the kids have gone home. I do this, as others have said, so that I can focus on the interview and am not dealing with screaming kids who are acting up for a new audience. I have parents drop off paperwork during daycare hours and stay for as limited time as possible if they absolutely must see my interactions with the kids. Honestly it's never been an issue though. People sign on whether they see other kids or not here.
Tags:interview, interview - questions
Reply Up