Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Garden and Taxes
Thriftylady 04:31 PM 04-14-2016
Okay so I am not sure how to do my bookkeeping on my garden. I spent $80 today on manure, peat moss, etc. And I am paying a guy $45 Saturday to come till it since DH is only home 34 hours a week, and the price to rent a tiller would be $40 anyway.

So this summer, DH will be home his same 34 hours a week. DD will eat maybe one or two meals every two weeks here if that because she moves 55 miles away to our church camp and works there, room and board is part of her pay.

The garden will be shared food though, just like any meals are here, I cook for everyone (who is here) at once. But it will also be a learning thing for the kids. Today they helped me spread the soil boosters to be tilled in. They will help plant (probably not weed, they would pull it all lol), they will help harvest. We will talk about science and watch it grow, etc. Then when we harvest I plan to do garden to table cooking WITH the DCK's.

So for taxes is this 100% deduction? Time space? A percentage different than time space? If it makes a difference I wouldn't be doing the garden if I didn't have the DCKs. I planned to last year but didn't because I lost my kids in May and didn't have any more until July. With just me here it isn't worth it I go to the farmer's market then. And when I don't have kids in the summer and am all alone, I go on the truck with hubby every chance I get!
TomCopeland 07:06 AM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Okay so I am not sure how to do my bookkeeping on my garden. I spent $80 today on manure, peat moss, etc. And I am paying a guy $45 Saturday to come till it since DH is only home 34 hours a week, and the price to rent a tiller would be $40 anyway.

So this summer, DH will be home his same 34 hours a week. DD will eat maybe one or two meals every two weeks here if that because she moves 55 miles away to our church camp and works there, room and board is part of her pay.

The garden will be shared food though, just like any meals are here, I cook for everyone (who is here) at once. But it will also be a learning thing for the kids. Today they helped me spread the soil boosters to be tilled in. They will help plant (probably not weed, they would pull it all lol), they will help harvest. We will talk about science and watch it grow, etc. Then when we harvest I plan to do garden to table cooking WITH the DCK's.

So for taxes is this 100% deduction? Time space? A percentage different than time space? If it makes a difference I wouldn't be doing the garden if I didn't have the DCKs. I planned to last year but didn't because I lost my kids in May and didn't have any more until July. With just me here it isn't worth it I go to the farmer's market then. And when I don't have kids in the summer and am all alone, I go on the truck with hubby every chance I get!
Conservatively you can deduct the time-space % of your garden expenses. Since you will be actively involving the child care children in your garden you could claim a higher percentage based on the percentage of food they eat. Do an estimate. You can still deduct the food using the standard meal allowance rule.
Thriftylady 10:37 AM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Conservatively you can deduct the time-space % of your garden expenses. Since you will be actively involving the child care children in your garden you could claim a higher percentage based on the percentage of food they eat. Do an estimate. You can still deduct the food using the standard meal allowance rule.
Thanks Tom as always!
Tags:deduction - garden, garden, time space percentage
Reply Up