Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent Over "We Can't Afford It"...
newtodaycare22 10:37 AM 11-22-2011
Sunday evening a daycare parent called me (actually, the boyfriend of a daycare parent who is the father figure).

Anyway, he told me that dcg would not be here this week and she'd return after the holiday. I thanked him for the heads up because I've been stressing for parents to let me know about times they are not coming or coming late (for planning purposes).

Before we hang up the phone, he said "Yeah, we just can't afford it this week. Thanks-see you on Monday."

I was speechless because I was so confused. What did he mean by that? This mother knows that you pay regardless of attendance. She's went on vacation and paid anyway-so I was a little lost. Maybe she just knows I won't accept kids without payment, so she's keeping her home until she has it?

I thought about it over dinner and then sent her an email, to get everything in writing. I told her that I appreciate the notice but want to be sure we are on the same page about payment, with both weeks tuition being due on Monday. I told her I'd wave the late fees in leui of the holiday season.

Today, she said she understands but wished I would have said something on the phone (she didn't read the email til today), because she would have brought the girl if she had to pay but she was looking for some understanding. Yet, she says she knows the contract says so?? She's coming with the money next week but I just hate that I actually feel a little bad. Should I have stopped the boyfriend on the phone and asked to make sure he understood the contract? I was just kind of surprised and confused.

Ay ay ay.

Ok, thanks for listening
laundrymom 10:40 AM 11-22-2011
No excuse, she paid last time? She pays this time. No worries.
Zoe 10:42 AM 11-22-2011
First of all, it's the boyfriend so would you really talk to him about payment? I can MAYBE understand him telling you dck won't be in this week, but to discuss contract/policy I'd do exactly what you did. Email dcm!

And if this dcm really wanted some "understanding", she should have come to you to try to work something out. Not dump the job on her boyfriend, and let's face it, sometimes these things get lost in translation. At least that's how it is with my DH when I ask him to do something. Sorry Dave and Michael.

You did nothing wrong. Sometimes when you get hit with bombs like that it's hard to react right away. Especially when they drop the bomb then hang up, not allowing you to react! Don't stress about it. Just keep doing what you're doing!
nannyde 10:54 AM 11-22-2011
she was looking for some understanding.

I can offer you understanding but I can't offer you free.

Don't get into child care contracts or arrangements you can't afford.

Again.. it's RUDE of them to even ask this of you. They need to follow their agreement and not asks for exceptions with nice words like "understanding".
newtodaycare22 10:59 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Again.. it's RUDE of them to even ask this of you. They need to follow their agreement and not asks for exceptions with nice words like "understanding".
Thank you. I know this, but I needed someone else to tell me also. lol
Ariana 11:02 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

So true!

This is why I ask for 3 months worth of post dated cheques. I send them an e-mail with the dates and the amounts. That way there is no confusion and no last minute "we can't afford it" stuff
Cat Herder 12:00 PM 11-22-2011
My thought was that she had her boyfriend call because she already knew the answer.

She thought you would not say no to the boyfriend.

Same reason I always had my littlest brother ask for extra deserts for us..... When I was 5.

IMHO, If there really was an issue that she NEEDED a break, she would have come to you herself and laid her cards on the table. Like a grownup.
wdmmom 12:31 PM 11-22-2011
It's called a contract. They need to read it.
dave4him 12:39 PM 11-22-2011
Did she think having him call would make it possible
daycare 01:20 PM 11-22-2011
I had this happen to me once, the moms ex-husband who played Zero roll in the childs life call me to say "I am taking DCB for the next 3 weeks, just wanted to let you know so you can plan accordingly" I replied, thank you so much for the call, I will be sure to talk to MOM about it today when she picks up.

He tired to ask how much of a discount I was giving, and I told him that I would be more than happy to discuss that with the mom too.

He was nice about it and we hung up.

I gave the mom 1 week at 50% the rest was full payment.
Reply Up