Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Winter with Daycare
jenboo 08:56 AM 11-03-2016
I'm still very new to winter and this is my first winter with the daycare.
I'm getting ready to send out a winter newsletter and need help.
When do you stay inside?
What clothing and shoes do you require?
Do they bring everything daily or do you require them to leave everthing?
I need all our tips!!

It gets cold here (low teens) but we dont get tons of snow.

Also, I will have 10 kids under 2 . What do you do with the infants and non walkers when there is snow or the ground is wet??
Thanks!!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:33 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
When do you stay inside?
Only if the weather report says it's dangerous to be outside. We go out in almost everything; just vary how long we stay out.
Originally Posted by :
Snowpants and coat, or snowsuit (preferred). Hat, good waterproof mittens, boots. I like kids to wear wool longjohns, wool socks, and neckwarmers, too, but those are suggestions, not requirements.
Originally Posted by :
I prefer for them to leave stuff if they can, because it means far less forgotten items.
Originally Posted by :
I need all our tips!!
Spend a lot of time up front teaching kids to get on as much as they can by themselves, so over time, you're just finishing up, not dressing everyone. Teach the order of how things go on most efficiently. Have big kids help littler kids.
Originally Posted by :

Also, I will have 10 kids under 2 . What do you do with the infants and non walkers when there is snow or the ground is wet??
Thanks!!
Wool blanket on the ground, or tarp, and then wool blanket. Or a wading pool on top of the snow. Adult wool socks on top of babies' socks, shoes, snowsuit, or whatever, for extra warmth. Walks, with nonwalkers in strollers. Toddler sleds, with babies bundled up in a blanket, with bigger kids pulling them around the yard. Naptime while you're outside (I have even set up pack-and-plays on top of the snow for a nap).
jenboo 09:42 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Only if the weather report says it's dangerous to be outside. We go out in almost everything; just vary how long we stay out.

Snowpants and coat, or snowsuit (preferred). Hat, good waterproof mittens, boots. I like kids to wear wool longjohns, wool socks, and neckwarmers, too, but those are suggestions, not requirements.

I prefer for them to leave stuff if they can, because it means far less forgotten items.

Spend a lot of time up front teaching kids to get on as much as they can by themselves, so over time, you're just finishing up, not dressing everyone. Teach the order of how things go on most efficiently. Have big kids help littler kids.

Wool blanket on the ground, or tarp, and then wool blanket. Or a wading pool on top of the snow. Adult wool socks on top of babies' socks, shoes, snowsuit, or whatever, for extra warmth. Walks, with nonwalkers in strollers. Toddler sleds, with babies bundled up in a blanket, with bigger kids pulling them around the yard. Naptime while you're outside (I have even set up pack-and-plays on top of the snow for a nap).
Awesome! This is very helpful!
childcaremom 09:55 AM 11-03-2016
I do the same. I don't have under 1s so no advice for infants. My current group is all between 15 mos and 2 years and we go out all the time, twice a day, year round.

I specifically ask for 2 piece outfits (no one piece outfits). I require at least 3 pairs of mitts here each day. No scarves. Boots are pull on style: no velcro or zippers. Stuff can go back and forth but it is best left so it isn't forgotten. I call for pick up or turn away at door if they aren't prepared.

I don't lay anything on the ground. We go out in all weather and the kids get wet. It may mean that we shorten the length of our outdoor time but we always go out.
Ariana 10:23 AM 11-03-2016
I have a lower ratio so I am not too picky about suits. Any full suit will do. Hats that fit over the ears (cannot tell you how many times parents bring stupid cutesy hats that sit on top of their heads ). Neckwarmers, mittens that are waterproof and have thumbs. If a child has a tendency to pull their mitts off I ask the parents to buy long elbow length mittens for them. Suits etc go back and forth but I have lots of spares if something is forgotten.

I am in Canada so we stay inside if it is colder than -17C for kids under 2. This year my kids are over 2 so I will likely go out to -21C no idea what that is in farhenheit.

For non walkers I usually sit them in the snow with shovels and pull them around on a sled and encourage them to crawl around. I do not take infants under a year.

I also bought a large shoe rack that I can place over my furnace vent to dry the clothes so we get out more than once.
debbiedoeszip 09:02 AM 11-05-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a lower ratio so I am not too picky about suits. Any full suit will do. Hats that fit over the ears (cannot tell you how many times parents bring stupid cutesy hats that sit on top of their heads ). Neckwarmers, mittens that are waterproof and have thumbs. If a child has a tendency to pull their mitts off I ask the parents to buy long elbow length mittens for them. Suits etc go back and forth but I have lots of spares if something is forgotten.

I am in Canada so we stay inside if it is colder than -17C for kids under 2. This year my kids are over 2 so I will likely go out to -21C no idea what that is in farhenheit.

For non walkers I usually sit them in the snow with shovels and pull them around on a sled and encourage them to crawl around. I do not take infants under a year.

I also bought a large shoe rack that I can place over my furnace vent to dry the clothes so we get out more than once.
I'm in Canada too (southeastern Ontario) and I'm having an issue with the daycare kids being brought under-dressed. We don't have snow yet and might not until January, but it's still pretty cold (-5C to 5C most mornings). The kids are being brought in rubber boots and windbreakers, and it's just not warm enough for the amount of outdoor time at daycare. I'm thinking of getting some outdoor wear from Value Village (or some other thrift store) for them to wear until their parents can be persuaded to get some winter gear of their own.

Two of my daycare families don't spend a huge amount of time outside so for them this is fine, and my other family is from Cuba and still isn't quite understanding what Canadian climate is all about (the footwear they bring for their 12 month old are glorified slippers, not even proper shoes let alone winter boots). All of the families can afford proper clothes but just aren't understanding what is needed when autumn is more like winter.
jenboo 10:33 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I do the same. I don't have under 1s so no advice for infants. My current group is all between 15 mos and 2 years and we go out all the time, twice a day, year round.

I specifically ask for 2 piece outfits (no one piece outfits). I require at least 3 pairs of mitts here each day. No scarves. Boots are pull on style: no velcro or zippers. Stuff can go back and forth but it is best left so it isn't forgotten. I call for pick up or turn away at door if they aren't prepared.

I don't lay anything on the ground. We go out in all weather and the kids get wet. It may mean that we shorten the length of our outdoor time but we always go out.
Why two piece outfits instead of one?
mommyneedsadayoff 11:20 AM 11-03-2016
Maybe for potty training?

I live in ND, so we go out as much as possible but high winds and high wind chills are pretty much the only thing that prevents outside time.

As others said: Snow suit, warm coat, gloves, and hat. If I have very little infants, outdoor time is scheduled during morning nap. For slightly older infants, I do socks on the hands and since I only take one or two at a time, they get a little more one on one time while we explore the winter wonderland

Temp wise really varies by area. It can be 15 degrees here, yet a great dya to be outside, but it can also be 40 degrees and cloudy with wind, so it is miserable and cold out. I just use my own body temp to regulate. I dress myself similar (if not a little cooler as I run hot), so if I am cold, they are cold and it's time to go in.
childcaremom 12:57 PM 11-03-2016
I hate one piece.

I find it easier for kids to learn to put on their own outdoor stuff if it's two piece. If they need my assistance it is also easier for me to do it this way. Also I find one piece suits tend to ride up the arms, or the legs, or both.
finsup 11:20 AM 11-03-2016
When do you stay inside?
I need all our tips!!

Thanks!!
We're in Maine so it gets pretty cold, and lots of snow. I don't have a temp that we go by though.the wind chill is the biggest factor. Parents know I don't *want* to keep them in, so if I do, it's justified lol.

I provide everything gear wise. Nothing gets lost or forgotten this way. It's theirs for the season. They will need to send anything they want them wearing home with them though. I do snowsuits for the 2 and under, regular winter gear for the big kids.

There has never not been a time where I haven't had an infant here lol. Actually, my two infants just turned 1 within a month of each other and this is my "oldest" group yet. I have the non walkers and infants in the wagon or sleds when the ground is too wet/cold/snowy.
Puddleduck 12:53 PM 11-03-2016
I'm in Ontario, Canada and I'm a total wuss when it comes to cold weather. We go out till -10 but stay in when it's colder than that or if I think the snow is too high. Ive spent a lot of money on indoor gross motor toys to make up for it, so the kids still get lots of exercise.
Boymom 12:57 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
I'm in Ontario, Canada and I'm a total wuss when it comes to cold weather. We go out till -10 but stay in when it's colder than that or if I think the snow is too high. Ive spent a lot of money on indoor gross motor toys to make up for it, so the kids still get lots of exercise.
-10!!!!!!! I would simply DIE if I lived up there The coldest it gets here is about 25*F and that's beyond cold to me!
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
-10!!!!!!! I would simply DIE if I lived up there The coldest it gets here is about 25*F and that's beyond cold to me!
Attached: today 015 (640x480).jpg (350.6 KB) 
daycare 07:20 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's colder than my FREEZER
Boymom 11:52 AM 11-04-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Uh uh! That's way too cold for this Texas gal! I seriously get mad when it's "cold" here. I would much rather be in 100 degrees than 25 degrees!
LysesKids 03:49 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
I think her -10 is celsius not Fahrenheit lol. In the states I'm not sure any provider takes kids out in that weather except maybe Alaska lol
Blackcat31 04:39 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I think her -10 is celsius not Fahrenheit lol. In the states I'm not sure any provider takes kids out in that weather except maybe Alaska lol
-10C is 14F

We go outside in temps much lower than that.

If you Google "coldest places" you get this:
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/cli.../international
(I live in a neighboring community) its not unusual for temps to stay below zero here most the winter.

Other than the arctic circle and a couple high spots in the mountains, MN is COLD
-60F actual temp in 1996.

I posted a picture of my car thermometer last year reading -45F actual temp.

Most places arent like this and I totally understand acclimating to the areas we live in (whats cold to one isnt to another) but I do take my kiddos out (infants too) almost all winter. We dress smart and just get used to it.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:42 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
In the states I'm not sure any provider takes kids out in that weather except maybe Alaska lol
I am in Alaska, but only on my second winter. We went out today and it was low double digits, not nearly as bad as it sounds. If it continues to be anything like last winter, there is little wind and that is AMAZING. Coming from the midwest where even 35 could be downright miserable because of the wind.
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 11-04-2016
Great advice already but want to add a tip I got from here for little ones who do NOT keep their mittens on....put their mittens on, then socks over them, THEN put on their coats. It was a livesaver last year for my 1 yos.

Question....how do you take out infants too young to sit up? I'll have a 3 month old, I'm thinking a front pack carrier?
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 11-04-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Great advice already but want to add a tip I got from here for little ones who do NOT keep their mittens on....put their mittens on, then socks over them, THEN put on their coats. It was a livesaver last year for my 1 yos.

Question....how do you take out infants too young to sit up? I'll have a 3 month old, I'm thinking a front pack carrier?
Under 6 months, I use a front carrier or sling under my coat.

Over 6 months and I use the stroller or an exersaucer.
Unregistered 05:36 AM 11-04-2016
I take kids one and up. We go out once a day in winter. I'm in the upper Midwest. Under 20, even under 25 we don't go out. I live in a protected valley so not much wind if any. That makes a difference.

I won't do snow suits! Ugh! I do boots, mittens, hats, coats. A scarf is great too. We play on the driveway, deck, and sidewalk. They can dump snow onto the driveway or I do. They run around, they get fresh air, they discover snow. It's all good!

Did I say I hate snow suits? Ugh! Less wet stuff when we get back inside too. If I have a non-walker they are in a stroller. Sometimes I do take a 9 month old. Or they may just be a later walker.

Clothing can stay or go back and forth. I am one who keeps extras here. I have extra hats and mittens.
Max 05:46 AM 11-04-2016
I also live by BC

Our past provider required a set of snow pants to be left at DC for the winter and kids were supposed to come with everything else each day (boots, jacket, hat, gloves).

It worked well, I loved it and plan to use that plan when I open my DC. The stuff we were supposed to bring daily, we already needed to put on my son each morning anyways (no attached garage) to keep him warm.

She had extra gloves too in case anyone forgot or had mittens instead of gloves and it was wet snow.
Play Care 06:04 AM 11-04-2016
For my non walkers, I use the stroller. I stay on our driveway while the walkers play in the snow.

We are not out that long so they don't mind. Also, I can cover the whole stroller with a blanket to keep wind and cold out.

Easy, they still get fresh air, and they don't get too cold and wet.
jenboo 06:44 AM 11-04-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
I also live by BC

Our past provider required a set of snow pants to be left at DC for the winter and kids were supposed to come with everything else each day (boots, jacket, hat, gloves).

It worked well, I loved it and plan to use that plan when I open my DC. The stuff we were supposed to bring daily, we already needed to put on my son each morning anyways (no attached garage) to keep him warm.

She had extra gloves too in case anyone forgot or had mittens instead of gloves and it was wet snow.
I don't trust my parents with this. It was 30° at drop off yesterday and kids came jackets. They have jackets here but that drive was freezing. They were so cold when they came in. They finally are starting to show up with socks on.
Ariana 10:40 AM 11-04-2016
This thread makes me laugh Y'all are so spoiled living down there in the sun and warmth
Luke25 06:20 AM 11-08-2016
Oh my! I'm getting cold just reading these replies! Haha
I am in Tennesee and it's still 70 F!! Lol
It gets cold sometimes but Below 25 is FREEZING for here and we definitely wouldn't be going out. I'm a wimp
Unregistered 04:23 PM 11-10-2016
I'm in Wi and it's been 70 with beautiful, bright blue, cloudless days!!!

It's usually dreary, damp, chilly, with totally depressing gray skies this time of year with temps I suppose in the 40's in November.

This has been the most beautiful November in Wi ever! We can get out two, three times each day! Hooray!
Tags:winter
Reply Up