Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Aggressive Toward Sibling...Outside Of DC
daycare 04:58 PM 09-24-2012
I have a family with two girls. Only one is in my care and she is a super sweet 2year old. Just turned 2. She has a little sister at home that is about 5-6months old.

the parents have asked me how to help them with a situation that they are having at home.

All of a sudden the 2 year old has become very aggressive toward her sister. The parents have tried to role-model the behavior, telling the DCG no, time out, giving dcg lots of alone time and attention, but no matter what they have tried, the dcg always reacts negative and aggressive towards her little sister..

any other advice for this family. They are already doing everything that I could think of.....

thanks in advance..
cheerfuldom 05:19 PM 09-24-2012
No other advice. they are just going to have to watch her like a hawk and address the behavior every time. There is no easy solution to things like this....just hard work and consistency. I would only suggest that they pick one consequence and stick with it. Trying every single thing they can think of is going to be confusing to the 2 year old and show her that she is in charge, the parents have lost control.
daycare 05:43 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
No other advice. they are just going to have to watch her like a hawk and address the behavior every time. There is no easy solution to things like this....just hard work and consistency. I would only suggest that they pick one consequence and stick with it. Trying every single thing they can think of is going to be confusing to the 2 year old and show her that she is in charge, the parents have lost control.
very true about mixed consequences. I suggested that they use time out only and stick to that. I think that if they use toys to be taken away when the child acts out towards the sibling will cause resentment???

I also suggested getting DCG a baby doll and when mommy cant tend to her because she has to tend to the sibling, that DCG can tend to her baby too. Or she can be mommies helper.

I think a lot of it may also have to do with the fact that the baby is more vocal, mobile, and DCG is aware of the baby more now that she is older.

I recall my kids being like this too when they were little. My DD used to kick my DS just to get my attention. I know that in time it will that also pass...
rhymia1 03:24 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
very true about mixed consequences. I suggested that they use time out only and stick to that. I think that if they use toys to be taken away when the child acts out towards the sibling will cause resentment???

I also suggested getting DCG a baby doll and when mommy cant tend to her because she has to tend to the sibling, that DCG can tend to her baby too. Or she can be mommies helper.

I think a lot of it may also have to do with the fact that the baby is more vocal, mobile, and DCG is aware of the baby more now that she is older.

I recall my kids being like this too when they were little. My DD used to kick my DS just to get my attention. I know that in time it will that also pass...

This is actually a very normal reaction for a 2 year old who is being "upstaged" by a "new" sibling. Obviously young children would never be left alone unsupervised, but even still, the 2 yo will have to be watched closely. I might suggest that mom and dad try to spend some one on one time just with the 2 yo away from the baby. Praise out the wazoo for nice, gentle behavior. I also agree a "time out" for being too rough with baby might be better than taking toys away.
Reply Up