Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Wanting to Facetime, and another Rant
crazydaycarelady 02:05 PM 06-16-2015
First rant is these Tommee Tippee bottles. Looks at all of the pieces! Two of them have to be cleaned with a Q-tip! Who has the time? Not me and I doubt most new mothers either. The WORST bottles EVER! (right behind Dr. Browns, forgot about those!)

Second rant, and this is a new one to me, dcm who wants to facetime with her just turned 1yo. Yesterday it was kinda cute, although dcb was confused when he couldn't see his mom on my phone afterwards. Today it was just annoying. He doesn't talk and one of the other kids was whining away in the background.

Do any of you facetime with the parents?
Attached: 10676303_10206941226759323_1348832927366482733_n.jpg (54.8 KB) 
Unregistered 02:07 PM 06-16-2015
I saw a commercial for the FaceTime and babies in icu... would be annoying to me too.
Thriftylady 02:11 PM 06-16-2015
Um NO just NO in both cases. Ain't nobody got time for that.
NightOwl 02:15 PM 06-16-2015
I second that emotion.
AuntTami 02:16 PM 06-16-2015
Lol! I have a 6 week that just started today that's using the dr brown bottles. I wanted to cry. Plus he's using a level 2 nipple and drowns so I tried a level 1 nipple and it took him 35 minutes to finish 2 ounces so we went back to level 2. Ugh. What happened to nipples made for babies 0-6 months?!

No; I wouldn't FaceTime unless there was a specific need/extenuating circumstance. Absolutely would not FaceTime daily. I would tell her DCB is having a hard time with being able to see you, but you not being here.
Thriftylady 02:17 PM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Lol! I have a 6 week that just started today that's using the dr brown bottles. I wanted to cry. Plus he's using a level 2 nipple and drowns so I tried a level 1 nipple and it took him 35 minutes to finish 2 ounces so we went back to level 2. Ugh. What happened to nipples made for babies 0-6 months?!

No; I wouldn't FaceTime unless there was a specific need/extenuating circumstance. Absolutely would not FaceTime daily. I would tell her DCB is having a hard time with being able to see you, but you not being here.
I guess things have changed more than I knew. DD and DS both used the same bottles and nibbles from birth to first BDay when bye bye bottles. Guess I am getting old and DD is only 16.
Pepperth 02:26 PM 06-16-2015
I have an infant now with Dr. Brown bottles. I was so confused by them. My own sons used the cheap Walmart bottle.
Heidi 02:45 PM 06-16-2015
Seems kind of weird to me that there are so many fancy bottles, and yet every infant I've gotten in the last couple years has reflux and other tummy issues. My kids took cheappo bottles, and I fed umpteen other kiddos with them, and they had no issues.

One LO I had, they gave me fancy bottles, and it took her a half hour to drink 2 oz. At four months. Come on! I got out my plain-old straight bottles with regular sized nipples, and she slammed down 4 oz, burped, and went on with her day.
crazydaycarelady 02:47 PM 06-16-2015
I agree! I am a fan of the regular old bottle. Three pieces - the bottle, the ring, and the nipple. That's it! They worked great!

The baby using the Tommee Timppe - I have to change her everyday because she spits up so much.
Crazy8 03:10 PM 06-16-2015
I switched my own son to Dr. Brown's bottles when he had gas/colic issues and omg, it was a WORLD of difference!!! I hated washing those damn bottles but they were well worth it. I even tried to go back to regular bottles one weekend thinking he was a little older and could handle it and by Sunday night my DH said HE would wash the bottles if I'd please go back to the Dr. Browns!!! So I wouldn't have an issue with a parent using them but as a daycare provider I would either 1. wash thru dishwasher or 2. send home to be washed.

I would not allow the facetiming - so I can deal with a screaming baby after mommy hangs up?? No thank you. I have no problem sending mom a text or a picture here and there to update on child's day but no way am I playing with baby's emotions where they can see mommy for just a few minutes. No way!
hope 04:57 PM 06-16-2015
I have a dcm that sends in dr browns bottles every day. I can not stand those bottles with all those little pieces. I also don't like it when parents insist on sending in the bottles to come home every day. I will never agree to that again! All the other babies I have had have used regular bottles and none have had any belly issues. I used the good old fashioned glass bottles with my own children.
I would never face time. To me that is the same as having dcm pop in and say hello. It is only a tease for the kid. I text and send pictures regularly but on my time....not when parent requests.
AuntTami 05:23 PM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Seems kind of weird to me that there are so many fancy bottles, and yet every infant I've gotten in the last couple years has reflux and other tummy issues. My kids took cheappo bottles, and I fed umpteen other kiddos with them, and they had no issues.

One LO I had, they gave me fancy bottles, and it took her a half hour to drink 2 oz. At four months. Come on! I got out my plain-old straight bottles with regular sized nipples, and she slammed down 4 oz, burped, and went on with her day.
Funny story? The little one today with the fancy bottles, puked ALL day long. My 6 month old with regular old bottles has puked only a few times in all the time I've had him. Obviously all babies are different, but it makes you wonder n
Second Home 03:20 AM 06-17-2015
Our regs have a limit of 30 minutes of screen time per week. Sorry no face time allowed here .
daycarediva 03:36 AM 06-17-2015
I used glass bottles with three of my kids. Never an issue.

Dcm, this isn't working for me. Dcb was confused and upset yesterday after you facetimed him, and the other children in care were upset with my distraction, so that won't be an option in the future. The bottles are also time consuming to clean. I will be providing bottles to stay here from now on, here are yours back.
finsup 05:01 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I used glass bottles with three of my kids. Never an issue.

Dcm, this isn't working for me. Dcb was confused and upset yesterday after you facetimed him, and the other children in care were upset with my distraction, so that won't be an option in the future. The bottles are also time consuming to clean. I will be providing bottles to stay here from now on, here are yours back.
Yup, exactly what I would say!
Sunchimes 05:25 AM 06-17-2015
One of my babies was tube fed at first, awful reflux,puking several times a day. They introduced Dr Brown bottles with honey thick formula. . I think mom used them one weekend. Monday, she brought WM bottles with #3 Dr Brown nipples. It took a few weeks, but the reflux and puking went away. I'm so thankful for sensible moms.

Edited to add that my daycare phone is a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. No data. Moms and therapists are all under strict instructions that it is for emergencies only. Want to chat? Use the landline. They are all great about it.
Sugaree 09:18 AM 06-17-2015
We used the Dr. Brown bottles and I also hated all the little pieces. But it did seem to help the gassiness that he had when he was itty bitty.

Our center required that all bottles be taken home at the end of the day regardless, so I guess it really didn't make a difference either way to them.
Fruitloops1 11:23 AM 06-17-2015
I tried facetiming with one parent who insisted she needed to see her baby while she was working. He was 2.5 at the time and when he saw her he started BAWLING his eyes out which made her cry. She admitted later that she didn't believe me that is wasnt a good idea. I did do again with another child but that was because his baby sister was in he picu and mom didn't get to see him a lot. It worked well. He was happy to see her and they sat on FaceTime and had a conversation.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 06-17-2015
I'd be concerned about the privacy of others while doing face time with a parent.

Like previous poster said, another child was crying in back ground.... suppose the mom that is doing face time knows the crying child's mom and tattles that the child was crying in the back ground??

I know consoling a crying child while trying to Face Time with a baby's parent is impossible but we all know parents wont see it that way....
Laurel 05:33 PM 06-17-2015
I liked the Dr. Brown bottles but I didn't keep them at my house. The parents brought them filled and I rinsed and sent back home. I thought they produced less gas but that was just my opinion. I think I only had one mom that brought them. I've used all kinds of bottles. There was another one (Playtex maybe?) that had a bend in them. Looked weird but I thought they were easier on tummy too.

Back in the olden days we just used the regular old bottles. I really couldn't say I had more spit ups with one bottle or another. They all worked pretty well.

Laurel
Leigh 06:48 PM 06-17-2015
I think Dr. Brown's are the best! I have a few dozen, and I ONLY use those here. I don't allow parents to bring me bottles, and I suggest that they use them at home, too. I don't really mind cleaning them, especially when I think of all the stress they save me (no babies screaming in pain from gas-never heard of a colicky baby who used that bottle).

Tommy Tippee-I agree with you on that one. I just bought some of the sippee cups and threw them away after a month (impossible to clean inside the flow regulators, and even though I removed them for every cleaning, one still managed to get moldy. I saw mold and tossed them all.
Play Care 03:22 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I liked the Dr. Brown bottles but I didn't keep them at my house. The parents brought them filled and I rinsed and sent back home. I thought they produced less gas but that was just my opinion. I think I only had one mom that brought them. I've used all kinds of bottles. There was another one (Playtex maybe?) that had a bend in them. Looked weird but I thought they were easier on tummy too.

Back in the olden days we just used the regular old bottles. I really couldn't say I had more spit ups with one bottle or another. They all worked pretty well.

Laurel
Underlined - that's my policy as well. I know some say they worry about parents drugging baby, but I like to think that trust goes both ways.
I get 3-4 filled bottles each AM, and I send back the rinsed out bottles each evening. No way am I cleaning and sterilizing bottles unless I am supplying them.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Underlined - that's my policy as well. I know some say they worry about parents drugging baby, but I like to think that trust goes both ways.
I get 3-4 filled bottles each AM, and I send back the rinsed out bottles each evening. No way am I cleaning and sterilizing bottles unless I am supplying them.
The last few infants I've had have used Dr Browns. I don't mind them as I rarely, if ever have two on a bottle at the same time so the cleaning isn't as bad as it could be....

I don't allow bottles to be brought back and forth (I require them to stay here and I will wash them) and it isn't so much about trust at all... Its more about what some parents think is okay to give their baby...kwim?

I have two parents specifically that I can think of that would think absolutely nothing about adding Karo syrup or even a little chocolate to the bottles...

I had one parent years ago that was insistent that she add a raw egg to her child's bottles.

So for me it's not about trust but more about parents that don't really think or in some cases think things through...
Meeko 07:47 AM 07-03-2017
Whenever a parent asks for special, I find it often helps to remind them that this is GROUP daycare. What I do for one, I should do for all. So I ask them to think about what they are asking me to do....multiplied by 16. They usually see it would be impossible to function.

Those who refuse to see past their own snowflake....just get told no. My house. My rules.
Pestle 10:08 AM 07-03-2017
This was a 2yo post bumped by a brand-new user whose post has nothing to do with the topic and who linked to a website. I suggest you do NOT click that link. I've reported the post.

Really wish only established forumgoers could reply to posts over, say, a month old. Or three months, or a year, or whatever--some websites don't permit replying to old posts, or restrict that ability to verified members.
hwichlaz 10:24 AM 07-03-2017
I'll use any bottle they want, if they wash them. I prefer to just have 4 bottles per baby that stay here...but if a kiddo is colicky and needs a dr. brown then the parents take them home to wash every day.

No facetime...unless I have a compelling reason. I had a little one face time with mama when she split her eyebrow open so we could determine together is she needed to come right now and get her to the doctor, or if a bandaid was going to be enough.
Tags:calls, facetime, interrupting, parent issues, parents texting, phone call
Reply Up