Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeding A Picky 11 Month Old
dEHmom 09:32 AM 05-16-2011
ok, i need some advice. if it was an older child, i would definitely just let them decide to eat what i have or not eat at all (given that they've had some of something of course, i wouldn't let them starve).

i have a gigantic 11 mth old (literally the size of a 2 year old), mom is struggling to feed him because he all of a sudden decides he won't eat anything that is bready (pancakes, toast, etc etc). all he eats is pasta.

today's lunch was tacos and i cut up the tortilla into tiny pieces so that they were just mixed in for the babies. this guy refuses to eat ANYTHING. I am not going to make him mac n cheese everyday, he is starting full time soon, but regardless, i don't feel like making pasta everyday, and i don't want to make something separate for him, nor do i want mom to send him pasta everyday either.

any suggestions? what do i do? let him not eat it? he decided the floor was a better place for the tacos so i swept it up, finished my lunch while he played.

eta: my plan of attack today, is to wait a bit and then try again.
snowborden1 11:26 AM 05-16-2011
Maybe just keep offering him what you have already prepared when he seems hungry until the next meal time which of course will be something else. He won't starve himself. He will eventually realize that he has to eat what you made if he is hungry. What else are you offering on the side? Fruit, veggies, yogurt? Does he eat anything on his plate? I have one that I have to offer the main course to first as he will only eat his side dishes if I give it all to hm at once. I wouldn't prepare a separate meal as you are not a short order cook. Good luck! That can be frustrating.
MyAngels 11:30 AM 05-16-2011
I have a little girl this age right now who will only eat one, single food at a time. If I put peas and carrots on her plate she won't eat it, but if I put just peas or just carrots she will eat. Go figure. It might be worth a try, though.
Michael 11:32 AM 05-16-2011
Sounds like he only eats carbohydrates. My son was like this. Try breaded chicken tenders or peanut and butter sandwich but go light on the P&B at the beginning.
Mom_of_two 11:33 AM 05-16-2011
I only serve what I make- I complete everyone's plate and then get them to the table, and if they only eat one thing that is fine. I don't make something separate for anyone (even my kids, they are expected to eat, too.) Interested to hear what other people have to say on this one!

If you do PB and J make sure to ask the parents, many people are waiting til 2 or 3 to introduce peanuts these days.
KEG123 11:34 AM 05-16-2011
After having dealt with (my own) picky child, I'd say just sweep it up and wait until next meal. Keep trying different things. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat.
dEHmom 08:26 AM 05-17-2011
thanks for the advice. for the pb i wouldn't try it with him. we already know his mom was highly allergic to honey and eek i forget the other thing, but when she was small. they are avoiding certain things with him because of the risk i guess. i wouldn't bother with pb until they around about 2 or 3 as well.

i just let him eat yogurt and granola cereal w/ some fruit, but i refused to make anything else. i was just concerned being that he is still an infant, as opposed to just a picky toddler. i wasn't sure what most people would do at that age.

like i said, this baby is about 30 lbs, the height of a 2 yo, and he is only 11 mths. mom said she is really struggling with him, because everything she makes, he just fusses at. he literally flat out refuses, covers his mouth, uses his tongue to get a good seal, and will take the food and chuck it if he's got the opportunity to do so.
laundrymom 08:32 AM 05-17-2011
I would offer, and let him be.
sharlan 09:03 AM 05-17-2011
Having 2 very picky eaters, I would offer him one thing at a time, starting with the least desirable (in his eyes). Don't put everything on his plate at once.

For the tacos, I would put a few bites of meat on his plate. If he eats that, move on to a few bites of cheese.

For my youngest two, I give them their sandwich. They IF they eat that, then they can have some apples. Last, and only if they eat everything else, then they can have a few chips.

If it's something new and they won't try it, I keep yogurt on hand because they will always eat that.
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up