Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>California Girls.......
daycare 11:08 AM 01-03-2012
FOr those of you that live in CA, do your DCP ever give you a hard time about their child playing outside in weather that is not PERFECT.

Example, we are supposed to go to the play land today. Its about 60, no wind, but a little foggy and I mean little. Now not one, but all of the parents said that they would prefer that their child not go and stay inside all day. By the way there is only a %20 of rain......

I hate being locked inside all day and so do kids... I told the parents that we would go unless it started to rain (not sprinkle, rain) or there was any unsafe weather conditions, like lighting.....

I am the only one that deals with this? What is your policy on outside play? Curious to know...
SilverSabre25 11:12 AM 01-03-2012
I'm not in Cali but I've heard that from parents a couple times...one particular set and guess what! They're not with me anymore, go figure.

I wouldn't sweat it. Make certain specific guidelines you will follow as to what weather conditions you will and won't go out in, and if the parents ask you not to take their child out in reasonable weather cite your guidelines and remind them that if they feel their child is not able to participate in all the day's activities, they need to take/keep them home for the day. Bet that would solve your problem reeeeeaaaally fast!
Meeko 11:28 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm not in Cali but I've heard that from parents a couple times...one particular set and guess what! They're not with me anymore, go figure.

I wouldn't sweat it. Make certain specific guidelines you will follow as to what weather conditions you will and won't go out in, and if the parents ask you not to take their child out in reasonable weather cite your guidelines and remind them that if they feel their child is not able to participate in all the day's activities, they need to take/keep them home for the day. Bet that would solve your problem reeeeeaaaally fast!
Ditto this.

Parents cannot dictate your working schedule. If it's reasonable weather, then you go outside. They can keep their kids home if they prefer that option. I get the feeling that once they know that...they will suddenly be OK with their child getting some fresh air!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:31 AM 01-03-2012
FL...yep I get that too. Its a bone chilling 55 here today and kids came with either parkas or thin hoodies...sigh. We have the luxury of being able to split into two groups, outside-goers and stay-ins. More often, I get "I don't want Suzie out in that heat".
Meeko 11:42 AM 01-03-2012
Parents here are pretty good about outside time on the whole. Utah can have blistering summers and then lots of snow and very cold days in the winter. We go outside every day unless it's raining or very extreme temperatures.
daycare 11:44 AM 01-03-2012
I do have in my policy if their child is not able to participate in normal daily activities, then they need to stay home....BUT WTH!!

same thing here....kids arrived in parkas, scarves, gloves and beanies.....LMAO I am not going to dress these kids in all of this to go out in 60 degree weather...
AmyLeigh 12:52 PM 01-03-2012
Oh, I know what you mean. Nobody has specifically asked mot to take their children out, but they send their kids here dressed like we are in snow country! I mean thermals under long sleeved shirts and jeans with the big puffy coats, hats and gloves. I got a little bit of a guilt trip back in November from one DCD when he picked up his daughter and her hands were cold from being outside. It was like 55 degrees that day. She wasn't going to have frostbite. The next day, mom sent gloves.
The only days we don't go outside is when it is raining. The mud is just too inviting for 4 & 5 yo boys!!! We do mud in the spring/summer when I can hose them off, though.
daycare 12:55 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Oh, I know what you mean. Nobody has specifically asked mot to take their children out, but they send their kids here dressed like we are in snow country! I mean thermals under long sleeved shirts and jeans with the big puffy coats, hats and gloves. I got a little bit of a guilt trip back in November from one DCD when he picked up his daughter and her hands were cold from being outside. It was like 55 degrees that day. She wasn't going to have frostbite. The next day, mom sent gloves.
The only days we don't go outside is when it is raining. The mud is just too inviting for 4 & 5 yo boys!!! We do mud in the spring/summer when I can hose them off, though.
lol.....WHY? I don't get parents... I am always a cold person, so I let my kids tell me if they are cold or not. I validate their feelings.... I think it's fair if you tell johnny, you need to wear a jacket and JOhnny says NO I'm hot. Well then we need to honor his words and validate his feelings. How do we know if he is cold or not, we are not him.. Parents don't like that idea at all...

I mean of course I do this with common sense......

Just the other day it was 72 degrees outside and my inlaws came to pick up my four year old. He runs very hot all the time, they know this. He dressed himself in shorts and a long sleeve T-shirt. My in-laws came over, put sweat pants, and a huge jacket on him and told me how dare you let him play outside like that it's freezing......... I so bad wanted to say ummmm who's the one with the PHD? 72 is NOT freezing........
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Just the other day it was 72 degrees outside and my inlaws came to pick up my four year old. He runs very hot all the time, they know this. He dressed himself in shorts and a long sleeve T-shirt. My in-laws came over, put sweat pants, and a huge jacket on him and told me how dare you let him play outside like that it's freezing......... I so bad wanted to say ummmm who's the one with the PHD? 72 is NOT freezing........
72 degrees!?!?!? We would be swimming!!! LOL!!

I couldn't resist..... the numbers on my thermometer have a - (minus) sign in front of them lately.
Meyou 01:48 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I couldn't resist..... the numbers on my thermometer have a - (minus) sign in front of them lately.
Swimming??? WE would be playing catch with ice cubes!!!
daycare 02:01 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

lol thanks for sharing thats too funny
cheerfuldom 04:47 PM 01-03-2012
I have to admit that I am actually like that myself

As for my DCPs, they love for me to take the kids out because most of them do not do this with their own child. I have a 2 year old here whose mom admitted had never been in their backyard before!
Tags:outside play, parents - ask too much, perfect weather, weather
Reply Up