Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eater Update.....
MissAnn 06:59 AM 07-11-2014
I don't expect you to remember, but I posted awhile back about a picky eater girl. I wanted to get to the point of "I don't care".....meaning I don't show that I care if any of them eat or not. Either they eat....or they don't.

Sounds good on paper, but it's been difficult getting to that point.

It made lunchtime miserable. I used to do the 2 bite club......but she made everything a negotiation or drama. Argue over size of bite and then the whole gagging thing,

So.....yesterday it clicked with ME. I didn't care. I really didn't. This is on her....not me. I won't be hungry later....I'm eating.

She went through the whole thing......

she: Do I have to eat my broccoli
me: If you want to
she: Is this a big enough bite?
me: Shrug my shoulders

And so on and so on......

And guess what? She ate more than usual....not much....but more than usual.

So......for now on, I really don't care!
AmyKidsCo 07:27 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
So.....yesterday it clicked with ME. I didn't care. I really didn't. This is on her....not me. I won't be hungry later....I'm eating.
Exactly!!! If it's not a power struggle it's much less fun for her, so why bother? Good for you - keep it up!!
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 07-11-2014
I don't expect you to remember, but I posted awhile back about a picky eater girl. I wanted to get to the point of "I don't care".....meaning I don't show that I care if any of them eat or not. Either they eat....or they don't.

It made lunchtime miserable. I used to do the 2 bite club......but she made everything a negotiation or drama. Argue over size of bite and then the whole gagging thing,

That is awesome!

Glad to see you don't care!!
MissAnn 08:26 AM 07-11-2014
Thanks guys. I love to eat and I eat with gusto....not fair for this little one to damper MY enthusiasm! Taco bar today! I'm going to eat it like it's going out of style! I do think she will eat today....I usually don't have tacos.
Shell 10:39 AM 07-11-2014
Glad it worked out
melilley 11:01 AM 07-11-2014

I have one that barely eats. At first I felt bad and would sometimes make him something else, but now I really don't care if he eats or not. It sounds mean, but if they are hungry they will eat.
My3cents 11:07 AM 07-11-2014

nice.... I love it when a light goes on.

When you take that attitude it makes a difference and you can find out who really truly has food issues and who doesn't. I never force food and that is how I find out what they like and what they don't. Come lunch time they are hungry and ready to eat well. If they don't eat, they will at some point. Might not be what I want them to eat but that I can't control. I can only control what happens when they are with me. When you take the control issues out of the equation the fight is not about you and me anymore it is about the child and if the child wants to be hungry or eat while food is being offered. Good for you. Happy it turned out well even if it did take a while getting there. These little moments are what makes doing daycare so worth it to me. We are difference makers, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.
Meyou 11:07 AM 07-11-2014
Yay! It does make lunchtime so much easier. I'm happy for you!
Tags:eating issues, meal issues, picky eater, picky eaters
Reply Up