Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eater
Kajbk 09:26 AM 10-19-2017
I started a 17 month old this week and he won't eat any of the normal foods I fix for the other kids. His mom sends yogurt from the baby food section and he'll eat it but he won't eat my cold yogurt. he also doesn't eat any meat except the kind that comes in baby food mixed with vegetables. Of the food I normally prepare he's eaten very little. I really don't want to start buying babyfood for one kid to get him to eat but I do provide food. I feel bad making the mom provide food every day when she's paying the full price. Give me some advice. I've never seen a kid this picky. It's also strange to me that a 17 month old is still eating mostly babyfood.
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 10-19-2017
Originally Posted by Kajbk:
I started a 17 month old this week and he won't eat any of the normal foods I fix for the other kids. His mom sends yogurt from the baby food section and he'll eat it but he won't eat my cold yogurt. he also doesn't eat any meat except the kind that comes in baby food mixed with vegetables. Of the food I normally prepare he's eaten very little. I really don't want to start buying babyfood for one kid to get him to eat but I do provide food. I feel bad making the mom provide food every day when she's paying the full price. Give me some advice. I've never seen a kid this picky. It's also strange to me that a 17 month old is still eating mostly babyfood.
More than likely the child is still eating baby food because it's easiest for mom. Also less messy.

As for making something he likes or having mom supply food....I'd stop being a player in the eternal battle of kids vs food.

In other words your job is to cook and serve healthy well balanced meals.

Daycare kids job is to eat. Or not.

He wont starve.

If he were allowed to get a little hungry it would be great motivation to try something new or something he is familiar with but served in an alternate way.
daycarediva 09:45 AM 10-19-2017
I start my kids around that age, and they always get what I serve everyone. I would stop having mom supply. Offer, he eats or not. I agree with BC- hunger is a HUGE motivator.

Does he feed himself?
Kajbk 10:56 AM 10-19-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I start my kids around that age, and they always get what I serve everyone. I would stop having mom supply. Offer, he eats or not. I agree with BC- hunger is a HUGE motivator.

Does he feed himself?
I'm trying it today. So far he's been refusing for 30 minutes. He can feed himself finger foods and tries with the spoon but spills a lot. I guess when everyone is finished I just put his away? I'm afraid his mom will be upset that I'm not offering the babyfood if he won't eat.
Ariana 11:20 AM 10-19-2017
It will take some time for him to get used to regular table food but you may be his only opportunity to learn that important skill. Mom is doing what is best for her not what is best for the child.

Just keep offering him regular food and he will eventually eat! I would offer what mom brought during snack.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 10-19-2017
Originally Posted by Kajbk:
I'm trying it today. So far he's been refusing for 30 minutes. He can feed himself finger foods and tries with the spoon but spills a lot. I guess when everyone is finished I just put his away? I'm afraid his mom will be upset that I'm not offering the babyfood if he won't eat.
Yep. When lunch is over it is over. Snack times soon enough.

As for mom, I would either be honest with her and provider her some materials or educational information about developmental milestones and where her child should be at or I would just be vague with her.

You don't have to say I offered Jimmy food for over 30 minutes and he refused to to try so he didn't eat.

Instead don't say anything. If mom outright asks, just say "he's trying". Every day, "he's trying"....

Personally, I would have a discussion with the parent about managing this in group care as well as the importance of self-help skills and independence. For many first time parents it's not about not wanting to do something but not necessarily knowing what's appropriate or "normal" for each age group.

Some parents are lazy but not all. Some really have no clue that 5 yr olds do not need sippy cups and are perfectly capable of eating applesauce from a spoon verses sucking it from a pouch.
Jamie 03:02 AM 10-20-2017
I make food. I serve food. They eat. Or they don't. Their choice. I will help someone who is honestly trying, but I don't serve anything else. Nobody brings food from home, except for infants who bring formula.
We never go more than three hours without me serving up some food. Nobody eats in between meals.
I don't fight about it; I don't even enter the battle.
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up