Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Post Your Play DOH Recipes
countrymom 02:07 PM 05-24-2013
esp. the pumpkin pie and the peppermint ones. I'm going to make some because my own kids love play doh.
MarinaVanessa 02:26 PM 05-24-2013
This is the recipe that I use for play dough:

2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)

food coloring (whatever color you want and add in as much as you want to make it the color that you want)
scented oils or spices to add scent.

Add all of the ingredients together and stir over low heat until it pulls away from the sides. Once it looks like think mashed potatoes take it off the burner and wait for it to cool a bit. Once it cools down knead it a bit to get it mixed nice and good.

Pumpkin Pie Play Dough:
recipe as above + orange food coloring and 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice.

Christmas Candy Cane Play Dough:
recipe as above + green food coloring and 3 tbs of peppermint essence.

Apple Play Dough
recipe as above + red food coloring and 2 tbs of apple extract (or apple oil)

Etc. It's pretty easy, just add whatever scent you want to the recipe. I've made lavender, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry etc scented play dough too.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 05-24-2013
This is my go-to site for all kinds of cool play dough recipes

http://www.playdoughrecipe.org/categ...dough-recipes/
daycare 02:42 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
esp. the pumpkin pie and the peppermint ones. I'm going to make some because my own kids love play doh.
yes please....I posted about the sticky play dough we made....not sure why but it turned into a night mare........it was all over everything and we culd not get it off
MarinaVanessa 02:55 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is my go-to site for all kinds of cool play dough recipes

http://www.playdoughrecipe.org/categ...dough-recipes/
I checked out the link and it's way cool. I saw that cool-aid play dough was on there and thought about how we haven't made that in a long time. I love the way the cool-aid dough smells. Maybe I'll make it again when we do the "5 senses" theme. We've already made the scratch-n-sniff paint with cool-aid so far so why not. LOVE the site!
Lyss 03:46 PM 05-24-2013
We made ice cream playdough, cornstarch (1 1/2 cup) and hair conditioner (3/4 cup). Although I used lotion instead of conditioner and really just added as I went, I'm not good at following recipes its stickier than playdough but sure looks like ice cream! We addes red food coloring and ice cream scoops. Next time DH gets ice cream I'm gonna save the container so we can put the dough in it.
LK5kids 03:47 PM 05-24-2013
Chocolate.......just add a 1/2 c plain unsweetened baking chocolate powder to your recipe. Make sure to use cream of tartar or the next day it will be a Gooey mess!

Also, I always add two packs of unsweetened Kool-aid to my playdoh instead of food coloring. Awesome scented playdoh!
Sunchimes 05:59 PM 05-24-2013
This is the best one I have found. It has never failed and it lasts a long time. It will make enough to fill 4 of those plastic baby food containers.
http://www.kristanlynn.com/2011/09/b...gh-recipe.html

Don't forget glitter. My kids love sparkly play dough.
rmc20021 05:06 AM 05-25-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
We made ice cream playdough, cornstarch (1 1/2 cup) and hair conditioner (3/4 cup). Although I used lotion instead of conditioner and really just added as I went, I'm not good at following recipes its stickier than playdough but sure looks like ice cream! We addes red food coloring and ice cream scoops. Next time DH gets ice cream I'm gonna save the container so we can put the dough in it.
I did this with my preschoolers while the sa kids were in school and it looked so real, we just had to play a trick on the sa kids so we dished it up and set it out at snack time when they arrived after school.

Mean, I know...but it was so funny to see their expressions. I watched them very carefully to make sure nobody actually put some into their mouth before I was able to stop them and one girl had a nice spoonful right at her mouth when I yelled 'STOP'.

They all thought I'd gone crazy...but they were so convinced it was real. I kept it in a baggie for a few weeks until it started getting brownish spots. It kept my craft cabinet smelling good....
Evansmom 05:32 AM 05-25-2013
I use the same recipe as MarinaVanessa but I also add a squirt if glycerine, you can find it in the first-aid section of the grocery store. It give the dough extra elasticity.

Just be sure not to over cook the dough otherwise you get a grainy texture. Cook it till it comes together and looks less wet, only slightly dry. Then I put it in my stand mixer with the dough hook and knead it that way bc it's hot to touch and the mixer kneads it fast, it comes out so nice and soft.
Lyss 10:24 AM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I did this with my preschoolers while the sa kids were in school and it looked so real, we just had to play a trick on the sa kids so we dished it up and set it out at snack time when they arrived after school.

Mean, I know...but it was so funny to see their expressions. I watched them very carefully to make sure nobody actually put some into their mouth before I was able to stop them and one girl had a nice spoonful right at her mouth when I yelled 'STOP'.

They all thought I'd gone crazy...but they were so convinced it was real. I kept it in a baggie for a few weeks until it started getting brownish spots. It kept my craft cabinet smelling good....
I was totally tempted to do that to DH!

Ours was so played with by the end of the day it wasn't worth saving (plus they used sand from the sand table as "sprinkles"), I did let a bit of it sit (dried out) in the bowl next to the sink because it made my kitchen smell good!
Reply Up