Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying
Koukla 09:20 AM 08-24-2011
So let me startby saying that this is just my second year doing daycare. Before this i was a preschool teacher. Last year i had this little girl who did nothing all day but cry. if you pick her up she stops (as soon as you do it) and when you put her down she starts again (again as soon as you let go) Now i know I can't go around holding her all day so i avoid the holding her unelss I have to carry her from one spot to another. Dont get me wrong she will sit on my lap when i read to her and i still play with her. well it was so bad that by the end of the year i was in tears with my husband saying i can't do this anymore. I LOVE HER MOM AND DAD. and mom is having another baby due in Feb. They came a few times over the summer and it was like she was a new kid (im closed over the summer) so i thought i would give it a try. well guess what she is still the same. augh im going crazy. does anyone have any tips? she is 16 months old. when we go for walks she stops and if we go outside to the playground / yard she will kinda stop.
cheerfuldom 09:55 AM 08-24-2011
There is no solution because this has gone on long enough that it is clear she is held a lot at home. Eventually after the baby is born, she will get used to mom's attention being divided but that whole transition is still like 6 months or more away for you. It has nothing to do with you because you did try to care for her for a time with no progress from the sounds of it. I would term. There is no reason why you should be crying and stressed out after the kids are gone for the day. This little girl is taking over and its best for you if she moves on. She may be happier somewhere else but either way, she's not that happy now.
laundrymom 10:04 AM 08-24-2011
I wouldn't term. I would care for her needs, put her down and walk away. Give no attention. She's fine. She's just mad. Ignore the fit. Go on with your day. When she stops crying, the MOMENT she stops, even if it's 2 hours later, sme at her and say hello. If she cries, ignore. Go about your day. By holding her when she cries to get her to stop you have taught her what to do. From this moment on only pick her up when she is not crying. If she starts to cry put her down and do something else. Good luck. It's going to be a long road.
cheerfuldom 10:08 AM 08-24-2011
see I disagree with that only because the OP has already had this little girl in her care (she didn't say how long) and because the OP is already at her wits end with this kid. Trying to make things work at the cost of your sanity is just not healthy and not a good idea for anyone involved. I know I have had one or two kids in the past that were cryers/screamers and it was just not worth waiting it out and hoping things get better. With a new baby sibling on the way, more than likely things will get worse before better.
thecrazyisout 10:09 AM 08-24-2011
I feel for you..I have a 13 month old that all he does is cry...I try to keep him busy with other things though...I move him from one thing to another.....play pen, outside of the play pen, high chair, floor, another part of the floor, another high chair/booster chair...every place has something for him to concentrate on....it is possible the child is bored and needs other stimulation. But, I do ignore his crying when I know it is not neccessary, and smile at him when he is doing something good (not whining or crying).
Koukla 10:42 AM 08-24-2011
Thanks for your input guys. I had her all last school year ( i follow the school cal.) and now for 2 weeks this school year. (i started her early because i really like mom and she needed help early) i'm thinking the same thing. that it is just going to get worse when baby number 2 comes. The grandmother watches her over the summer. I know she spoils her. I asked mom if she (the mom) holds her all day (like the grandmother) and she said no and her crying makes me crazy! and on monday morning they can't get here fast enough. she says mom and dad take turns watching her becauseshe is like this at home and she does not know how i do it. its kinda sad really.
Sunshine44 11:13 AM 08-24-2011
All I can tell you is that it probably will not change for a while. I had the same issues that you have for a year and a half. Finally things got better, but I had to do like someone suggested. I just let the kid cry if all needs were met. I think it eventually sunk in. I do not think I will ever go that long again with a crier.
Tags:crying
Reply Up