Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Parent "Hanging Out"
originalkat 02:47 PM 02-26-2010
I just filled my last spot with a sweet little girl and her family is very nice as well. I am very thankful to have them. However, the dad picks up about 4 PM. The first 2 days were cold so we were inside. He picked up and left right away. But these last 3 days we have been outside and enjoying the upper 40's temps. So he gets here at 4 pm and "hangs out" playing with his daughter for 1/2 an hour! I am thinking "This isnt a park!" I have had your kid all day...just leave already. Is that wrong? He isnt trying to distract me with chatting, but I feel like I have to "entertain" him while he is there. Like a guest is over or something. No other parent has ever done this. They pick up and are gone within 5 (max 10 minutes) and usually closer to 2-3 minutes. Do any of your parents stay too long? If so what do you do?
tymaboy 03:02 PM 02-26-2010
When I did hourly I went by the time they left. If parents stick around to chat that is still my time.
originalkat 03:13 PM 02-26-2010
I have a flat weekly rate. I am not concerned with payments but it is just annoying when they hang around for so long.
gkids09 03:23 PM 02-26-2010
Is she the last one there when he comes? If so, I completely understand your frustration!! I have had a few parents who acted like they were my best friends or something and stay when their kid is the last one. This REALLY gets to me when it's Friday. Hello, I have a life too ya know!! Anyway, if she's not the last one, he may just be wanting to see how she plays at her "school." I have had some do that too. Or he may be wanting to see how you act with the other kids, since she's new. As long as he's not acting like he expects anything from you, I'd just let it go and not try to entertain him...That's just my thinking on it. If it keeps on after the newness of the child wears off, you might want to send a "reminder" to ALL parents so this particular one doesn't think you're targeting them, and tell them to remember to keep their arrivals and departures short so that kids don't get upset. I have had to do that before. It worked, maybe it will for you too! Good luck!
originalkat 03:45 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
Is she the last one there when he comes? If so, I completely understand your frustration!! I have had a few parents who acted like they were my best friends or something and stay when their kid is the last one. This REALLY gets to me when it's Friday. Hello, I have a life too ya know!! Anyway, if she's not the last one, he may just be wanting to see how she plays at her "school." I have had some do that too. Or he may be wanting to see how you act with the other kids, since she's new. As long as he's not acting like he expects anything from you, I'd just let it go and not try to entertain him...That's just my thinking on it. If it keeps on after the newness of the child wears off, you might want to send a "reminder" to ALL parents so this particular one doesn't think you're targeting them, and tell them to remember to keep their arrivals and departures short so that kids don't get upset. I have had to do that before. It worked, maybe it will for you too! Good luck!
True. I think he may just wanting to get to know me and see how she plays. They are considering this her preschool experience because they just moved to me from another home based childcare that had no structure and only play. You are right...Im sure once the newness wears off he will probably hit the road a little faster.
Lucy 07:31 PM 02-26-2010
I had one parent who would do this. She started bringing her 18 month old in the Fall so we weren't outside, but by the time Spring rolled around and the boy was 2, we'd be outside playing and about 3 parents would come at approx. the same time. She'd linger after the others left and play with her kid on my play structure. Naturally I stayed out and chit-chatted, the whole time wishing she'd leave, but didn't want to be rude. After the first two times, I saw that it could be a problem, so I just said "well, I need to go in and start my dinner." She had the nerve to say "ok, bye", and stay out there another 30 min!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Not that it was hurting anything, but my god. Go home!! Like you said, this isn't a park. She continued to do it through the Spring and Summer. Not every time... Sometimes she'd say she had to go grocery shopping or was tired, or whatever. But at least twice a week she'd stay for 15-30 min. My husband and I just laughed it off and had fun repeating the story to friends and family, who were always amazed by it. She did similar the following year, but it tapered off as the boy was older and had better things to do. I still have the boy and he is almost 7. He now has an 18 month old sister in my care, so now that Spring is around the corner, we'll see if the routine starts again!
momma2girls 07:40 PM 02-26-2010
What I do is play out in the front, on the driveway and sidewalk with things, that way when parents come they can go right home. THis is of course weather permitting, Spring, Summer, and Fall.
originalkat 04:29 PM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I had one parent who would do this. She started bringing her 18 month old in the Fall so we weren't outside, but by the time Spring rolled around and the boy was 2, we'd be outside playing and about 3 parents would come at approx. the same time. She'd linger after the others left and play with her kid on my play structure. Naturally I stayed out and chit-chatted, the whole time wishing she'd leave, but didn't want to be rude. After the first two times, I saw that it could be a problem, so I just said "well, I need to go in and start my dinner." She had the nerve to say "ok, bye", and stay out there another 30 min!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Not that it was hurting anything, but my god. Go home!! Like you said, this isn't a park. She continued to do it through the Spring and Summer. Not every time... Sometimes she'd say she had to go grocery shopping or was tired, or whatever. But at least twice a week she'd stay for 15-30 min. My husband and I just laughed it off and had fun repeating the story to friends and family, who were always amazed by it. She did similar the following year, but it tapered off as the boy was older and had better things to do. I still have the boy and he is almost 7. He now has an 18 month old sister in my care, so now that Spring is around the corner, we'll see if the routine starts again!
THAT IS SO FUNNY! My husband and I were laughing when we read this and agreed my situation is not as bad as yours. LOL! Hopefully she wont start that up again.
melskids 10:20 AM 02-28-2010
i have had parents do this too. only not cause THEY wanted to hang out, rather, they couldnt control their kids enough to get them in the car to leave. i just say to the others, "o.k. outside play is over, time to go in" and inside we go. one mom would be out there for 1/2 hour fighting with her kid to get them to leave. i always find it a bit amusing when a 150 something pound person cant pick up a 25 lb. kid and get them in the car!!!!!
Tags:hang around
Reply Up